quilt sleeve

Old January 16th 04, 03:44 PM
The Laws

Default quilt sleeve

Our Guild has our show this year, and I want to hang a couple of quilts,
one baby quilt and one a very large queen size. The queen size sleeve
placement has to be so that the quilt only reaches 90 inches to the floor.
I have read the directions in a basic quilt book, but wonder if there are
any tips or advice. The rules on the registration page says you should not
be able to see the stitches for the sleeve on the quilt top, which means you
have to whip the sleeve on. Do you use really heavy thread for a very heavy
quilt? Are there any direction on the net? If there is please give me the
URL. Thanks in advance Kay

Old January 16th 04, 04:19 PM
Kathy Applebaum

I'm not sure I can help you, but I just wanted to comment that you don't
necessarily have to whip the sleeve on. I often do mine by machine with a
blind hem stitch, catching only the back and batting in the "zag" of the
stitch, so nothing shows on the front. Fusibles are also wonderful for
sleeves.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps

news

Old January 16th 04, 09:23 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Here's our Rita's instructions:
http://myquilts.hypermart.net/sleeve.htm

http://www.quilttownusa.com/Chitra/sleevebeginners.htm

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/arthe...hangingsleeve/

http://www.cottonwoodquilts.com/hanging.htm

Tips: I use handquilting thread; it's plenty heavy enough to hold the
sleeve and the quilt, and sew it on by hand.
Don't put the sleeve down too far from the top or the top of
the quilt will flip over when it's hanging (I should know g).
Don't put the sleeve up so high that it peeks up over the top
of the quilt when it's hanging.

It's really not hard, just time-consuming.
Good luck!
Which guild? When's the show?

Ragmop/Sandy
news

Old January 18th 04, 06:04 PM
Dr. Quilter

I don't understand how you do this Kathy... after you have completed the
quilt you can attach the sleeve by machine without going through the
top? Could you use this for labels too? I do all that by hand in the
end, after I have blindstitched the binding...

I think I need some SM lessons! (which they completely screwed me about
when I got my machine, BTW, they signed me up for Saturdays but it
turned out they were only offered during the week !)

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

I'm not sure I can help you, but I just wanted to comment that you don't
necessarily have to whip the sleeve on. I often do mine by machine with a
blind hem stitch, catching only the back and batting in the "zag" of the
stitch, so nothing shows on the front. Fusibles are also wonderful for
sleeves.

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens
(take the dog out before replying)

Old January 18th 04, 07:05 PM
Anna Belle

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 21:23:47 GMT, " Ellison"
wrote:

Howdy!
Here's our Rita's instructions:
http://myquilts.hypermart.net/sleeve.htm

http://www.quilttownusa.com/Chitra/sleevebeginners.htm

http://www.mccallsquilting.com/arthe...hangingsleeve/

http://www.cottonwoodquilts.com/hanging.htm

Tips: I use handquilting thread; it's plenty heavy enough to hold the
sleeve and the quilt, and sew it on by hand.
Don't put the sleeve down too far from the top or the top of
the quilt will flip over when it's hanging (I should know g).
Don't put the sleeve up so high that it peeks up over the top
of the quilt when it's hanging.

It's really not hard, just time-consuming.
Good luck!
Which guild? When's the show?

Kay must be putting on the sleeve, so I will answer. We are lucky to
both be in the same guild, Seaside Piecemakers in Satellite Beach, Fl.
The club has just over 300 members and our shows are held every two
years so they tend to be pretty big. It is a judged show, but we also
have entries for no juding. Next show is April 3-4 at the Auditorium
in Melbourne, Fl. Vendors, door prizes, gift booths by members and
snacks available. This is the only fund raiser for the two year
period, so it is a doozy.

Everybody come!!!!

Anna Belle in Palm Bay
Old January 19th 04, 12:29 AM
Kathy Applebaum

Have you ever made clothing with a blind hem? Same stitch, except that a
quilt with batting is thick enough that you can catch just the batting with
the "blind" part of the stitch. If you aren't familiar with how to do blind
hems on the machine, march down to your SM dealer with a scrap of fabric,
and demand they teach you right away.

Yes, it does work for labels, too. My bindings are top stitched by machine,
so I don't use the blind stitch for that.

Old January 20th 04, 04:13 PM
Dr. Quilter

Mo, I don't sew other stuff, only quilts. There are many things I don't
know how to do. I never learnt how to use a SM and I suspect I still do
a lot of stuff the wrong way since I am selft taught! I thought the
needle always went through all the layers, so it could catch the hook in
the bobbin and that is how it made the stitch. My SM dealer screwed me,
the machine came with classes, they signed me up for Saturdays, two days
before the first one they called to tell me there had been a mistake,
that the woman that had sold me the machine was new and that they only
did them during weekends...

Old January 20th 04, 04:55 PM
Kathy Applebaum

"Dr. Quilter" wrote in message
Mo, I don't sew other stuff, only quilts. There are many things I don't
know how to do. I never learnt how to use a SM and I suspect I still do
a lot of stuff the wrong way since I am selft taught! I thought the
needle always went through all the layers, so it could catch the hook in
the bobbin and that is how it made the stitch.

Well, the needle does have to go through all the layers. But *you* are the
one who tells it what the layers are! LOL

Let's see if I can describe a blind hem to you. (And anyone else, feel free
to chime in!!!) I'll use a skirt as an example.

First, if you're going to hem a skirt, you need to turn a bit of the fabric
to the back. (Yes, all you smarties out there, I know you turn it twice. But
I'm trying to keep this simple!) Now (and this is the hard part to
describe), imagine if you pinched the fabric where the turn is, and folded
the main part of the skirt back, so the fabric is now in a compressed "z"
shape, with a bit of the raw edge of the hem showing.

The blind hem stitch looks like ---^---^---^---^--- , and the straight
stitches go on that raw edge hem part (the part you don't see when wearing
the skirt), and the ^'s just barely bite into the fold, only about 2 threads
deep. When you unfold the hem, the ^'s keep the hem in place, and because
they are such a tiny bite, they really don't show from the front, which is
why it's called a blind hem.

Okay, now imagine doing this where the fold you are "biting" into is a
quilt. If you go about 2 threads deep, you're only going to catch the
backing and a bit of batting. Yes, the needle is going all the way into the
hook area, but it never passes through the front fabric of the quilt. Yes,
you need to do a bit of practice with the blind hem stitch before trying
this on a real quilt, but it really does work.

You might check other places for classes. Here in Sacramento, even our
Community Colleges offer sewing classes. Sometimes the Senior Centers will
have classes that anyone can join, or Adult Ed will. It's worth it -- a
couple of classes will let you really spread your wings. (After you've sewn
them! LOL)

Old January 20th 04, 07:43 PM
Beverly K. Pope

There are some free beginning sewing classes on the internet. A machine
blind hem stitch is described, with pictures at:

http://www.sew-whats-new.com/sewingl...e/class5.shtml

Bev Pope