new quilter

Old September 19th 10, 03:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Default new quilter

What a pleasant experience I had this week-end. I worked check-in for our
little local quilt show Tues. night and checked in an adorable 8 yr. old
She'd done a landscape quilt based on the Accidental Landscapes patterns,
but really made it her own. She got first place in the miniature section.
I watched her looking at the quilts with her ballot for her favorite. I
doubt the judge looked them over more carefully than she did. She really
studied them before making her choice. I got to talking with her dad--he
said even as an infant she reached for certain fabrics if they were shopping
fabric stores. I was telling them about some of the big quilt shows. I
told her there were vendors that sold fabric, patterns and supplies. She
commented that she'd shop for fabric, "but I think I prefer to design my own
patterns"--------She's ONLY 8! She's joined one of the church groups of
mostly hand quilters every Tuesday morning, so she can learn to hand quilt!
What a future she has, and what an delightful little person to be around.

--
Gen
http://community.webshots.com/user/Coren920

Old September 19th 10, 11:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megwen[_4_]

My mother moved to be with my brother and his family in Stirling, Scotland,
following a stroke which disabled her. When we cleared her house, I kept her
Husqvarna Orchidea as my backup machine. Sadly, she died just over a year
ago and with some of my legacy from her I bought a Husqvarna Diamond. My SiL
has a Husqvarna Rose which Mum had given her and was fighting off her 8yo
daughter who wanted to sew too! With the help of my sewing machine man, the
Orchidea was shipped to Stirling and my niece told that Aunty Megwen had
sent Grandma's machine for her to borrow. She is thrilled to bits with HER
machine and apparently has made a set of clothes for her teddy bear by just
sewing bits of fabric together. She has also been making bags and I have
just sent her a piece of embroidered denim which she is going to use for a
waistcoat. I think that Grandma would have been pleased to see her machine
being used by her littlest grand-daughter!

Megwen

Bath, England

Old September 19th 10, 01:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 19/09/2010 11:34, Megwen wrote:
[...]

Perfect! And she'll have huge fun with the Orchidea's embroidery, if
she has the unit. OK, it';'s 'old technology' now (it was brand new
when I bought my Lily), but still loads of fun as an intro to the
glorious world of machine embroidery.

Megwen

Bath, England
"Gen" wrote in message
[...]

That sounds like a life-long quilter just starting her amazing voyage!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 19th 10, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

What a great story. Don't forget her name - we'll probably see it some day connected to "Best of Show" at some
of the major events.
--
Louise in Iowa
nieland1390@mchsi dot com

Old September 19th 10, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Irondale

What a wonderful story! At 8 years of age, who knows
what she'll be able to do later on down the road. It's
exciting. Since she's only 8, her name probably shouldn't
be announced...but I would think that if she won a contest
somewhere and it was on the web, then it would be ok.

I bet you had fun being a part of this great little story
and thanks for sharing.

Donna

Old September 19th 10, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marion Bowles[_2_]

In article ,
Kate XXXXXX wrote:

[...]

Pemberton's in Stirling is probably the best sewing machine repair shop
in Scotland, I wouldn't trust anyone else with my Elna Air electronic
and many years ago he repaird my Frister Rossman cub 3 after a dusty
celing fell on it,so good to know the machine is near a good doctor
Marion in Nitten
Old September 19th 10, 05:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Megwen[_4_]

Thanks for that information about Pembertons. I brought the Rose back to
Bath for repair earlier this year as my SiL had a problem with it that
hadn't been fixed properly by the repair people she took it to. I'm part of
the furniture in the shop in Bath so Mark fixed the machine for me and then
shipped it back to Stirling.

Megwen

Bath, England

Quilter's name??? Sunny[_2_] Quilting 21 November 26th 07 06:35 PM
You know you're a quilter when... the black rose Quilting 8 May 8th 05 10:36 PM
New quilter on the way! Kate Dicey Quilting 4 August 30th 04 02:04 AM
Only a quilter would........ Denise Jameson Quilting 4 March 12th 04 11:53 PM
OT to Dr. Quilter Polly Esther Quilting 53 February 22nd 04 05:46 PM