Holding on to a quilt

Old August 31st 10, 08:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sartorresartus

Default Holding on to a quilt

OK, this is probably an old chestnut, but I'll ask anyway.

I usually HQ, as you know, so this has never been an issue, up till
now.

When you are MQ, how do you stop the sandwich dragging, so it impedes
the feed-dogs? I am trying to stitch-in-the-ditch. I have the sides
rolled (sometimes just one) and I have tried:
=shoving the rest over my shoulder
=rolling it up on my lap
=concertina-ing it on my lap

I don't have one of those fancy machine-sinks-into-the-table lifts,
but I am using a 2'x18" plexiglass table things. I am using a walking
foot (which isn't, because of the drag - hence the question) and
daren't even try dogs-down stuff till I can master straight lines.

I can play with a sandwich, but it all goes pear-shaped when I get
this monster under the needle.

Help, please.

(Do I need a gadget? =D )

Nel
(Gadget Queen)
Longing to finish marking my next WC for HQ!
Old August 31st 10, 08:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

It's almost 3 a.m. here and I can't sleep... just a warning if this doesn't
make much sense. ;-) Try doing your rolling/folding/bunching but leave
some loose quilt bunched up close to and all around the sewing bed area. If
you have it neatly smoothed and hanging off the little table area, you will
get drag. If you have some loose bunches, it should have all the
tension/weight off the quilt and it should feed nicely. One other thought-
is the walking foot installed correctly? And is the pressure on the walking
foot too tight? If you don't normally do mq'ing, you may need to loosen
that pressure to help the much greater thickness of the quilt sandwich feed
properly.

Good luck- mq'ing is a BLAST! (When it goes well....) And free motion
quilting with the feed dogs down is easier than stitch in the ditch using a
walking foot. IMO

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old August 31st 10, 11:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa[_4_]

Hello Nel,

I used to have that problem but I worked out that I need to be higher in my
chair (two cushions) so that my shoulders are not continuously 'up' (hope
you understand that bit) plus I have put two rubber door stops under the
back of my machine to raise the machine bed and make it easier to see.
I also roll the quilt and clamp with a bicycle trousers clip (the ones men
used to put around their pants to stop them from catching in the chain).
This was a great aid.

The other thing I do NOT use is the walking foot - if you have a darning
foot, use that as I have been told that is the best and I also lengthen the
stitch.

I drop my feed-dogs just one notch to help let the material sort of glide
through and I also wear those little rubber finger 'thingies' (for turning
over lots of pages) on my thumbs, index and middle fingers to help guide the
material.
My machine pedal has a slow and high speed button which I change to slow.

I have quilted one whole quilt and did not get sore shoulders or back.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers,
--
Di
I'm creative! You can't expect me to be neat too.

Old August 31st 10, 12:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 31, 3:21*am, Sartorresartus wrote:
[...]

I use quilting fabric spray glue and pin every 4" or so and never have
any problems. The only time I have had those sort of problems is when
I don't follow those rules.
John
Old August 31st 10, 12:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Free motion is actually easier, because you just work on a bit at a
time, rather than trying to control the whole shebang. But I used to
use the acrylic extension thingie before I got myself a fancy airlift
table, so it can be done.

IMO rolling just makes the monster more temperamental. (But it works
for some people.) I just moosh. The problem, as you say, is to control
the weight. You need some support on your left. I use the ironing
board, which can be lowered so it's just a smidgen higher than your
extension table. Keep the bulk of the quilt on this. You also need
enough table surface behind the machine so it all fits on after it
goes through, without falling off, and without having to force it into
a corner.

Once you get all that organized, don't try to go too fast. It's not
like sewing a seam -you figured that out already. Stitch a bit, pause
(needle down if you want), lift the bit on your lap to make sure it
isn't caught, stitch some more. Be patient. It's still faster than HQ.
Roberta in D

Old August 31st 10, 01:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 02:21:45 -0500, Sartorresartus wrote
(in article
):

[...]

Sometimes it just takes practice! I tend to smoosh it all up and shove it
underneath the needle, then smooth out right wear I am working.

Maureen

Old August 31st 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Send it to Louise. She'll make it magnificent. (Too late for this one.)
I'm with Roberta. Rolling only makes the job harder. I just moosh. Don't
hope to stitch more than a place about the size of your hand at one time.
Polly

Old August 31st 10, 02:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Alice in PA[_3_]

I second all of that! I, too, "moosh" the quilt through. I start in the
center, to get the hardest part done first. At times, I have also put my
ironing board behind my sewing table, and a card table next to me. I do not
use the walking foot for stitch-in-the-ditch, as I find using my zipper foot
works best for me. I can move the needle all the way to the edge, to get
right down in the seam. Good luck!
--
Alice in PA
http://community.webshots.com/user/twosonsatpsu
news

Old August 31st 10, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I don't think it is easy at all to MQ without a flat surface. You really
don't need a fancy table. Modifying a sewing machine or folding table is
not too difficult. Something a handyman type could easily do. They sell a
folding table with an inset that is pretty nifty. The increased height with
the machine sitting atop of a standard table, even with the plexiglass
surround is just too awkward.
I agree with the folks that don't like to roll the edges. Smooshing easier
imo. Good luck with your project.
Taria

Old August 31st 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Allison

For a bigger quilt I also smoosh it up rather than rolling. And I move
my machine to the dining room table so I have a LARGE surface to spread
out my quilt. I'll also set up a chair to my left to catch the bits
that don't fit on the table. You want to have as much of the quilt as
possible supported, nothing hanging off an edge.

As for walking foot vs darning foot....well I recently tried stitch in
the ditch with a darning foot and never again. In my experience it was
very hard to keep the line of stitching straight enough. On the other
hand, you can do a lovely simple curvy stitch with a darning foot. For
this if the curves vary a little bit it still looks fine. Of course it
depends on your blocks and the 'look' you're going for.

I tried to find a picture of what I mean for the curved stitch but
couldn't...so let me try explaining. Imagine a checkerboard. Start in
one of the blocks in the middle of the top row. Start stitching at the
top right corner of the block towards the bottom right corner, making a
gentle "C" shape inside your block. Keep going, using the seam line as
a guide, curving right then left, crossing at each of the block
intersections. This will give you an gentle "s" shape along your seam
line.

Good luck!
Allison