OT But a useful thing

Old September 19th 10, 09:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT But a useful thing

Having come afoul of recipes with instructions such as:

"bake the pudding at gas 5 for 20 to 25 minutes or until just wobbly,
then take it out of the oven, spread with warmed jam, top with meringue,
and return it to the oven to brown at gas 6 for 10 minutes."

I finally looked up a conversion chart.

http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kitchen/oventemp.htm

So there is a little less by guess and by golly in my life.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 19th 10, 01:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

That sounds like a pudding Mr. Esther would love. Tell us the rest of it,
NM. What kind of pudding has jam on top and then meringue? Polly

"NightMist"

Old September 19th 10, 06:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

On 19/09/2010 13:51, Polly Esther wrote:
That sounds like a pudding Mr. Esther would love. Tell us the rest of
it, NM. What kind of pudding has jam on top and then meringue? Polly

"NightMist"

Having come afoul of recipes with instructions such as:

"bake the pudding at gas 5 for 20 to 25 minutes or until just wobbly,
then take it out of the oven, spread with warmed jam, top with meringue,
and return it to the oven to brown at gas 6 for 10 minutes."

I finally looked up a conversion chart.

http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kitchen/oventemp.htm

So there is a little less by guess and by golly in my life.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?

Queen of Puddings:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/m...-puddings.html

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 20th 10, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:45:53 +0100, Kate XXXXXX wrote:

On 19/09/2010 13:51, Polly Esther wrote:
That sounds like a pudding Mr. Esther would love. Tell us the rest of
it, NM. What kind of pudding has jam on top and then meringue? Polly

"NightMist"

Having come afoul of recipes with instructions such as:

"bake the pudding at gas 5 for 20 to 25 minutes or until just wobbly,
then take it out of the oven, spread with warmed jam, top with
meringue, and return it to the oven to brown at gas 6 for 10 minutes."

I finally looked up a conversion chart.

http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/kitchen/oventemp.htm

Queen of Puddings:
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/m...ngue/queen-of-

puddings.html

Yup, that is the pudding.
Not that precise recipe, but that very pudding.
Even our "I hate meringue" girl likes it.
Which pleases me no end because as you can see it is easy, inexpensive,
and does not contain dreadful amounts of sugar or fat.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?
Old September 20th 10, 08:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 20/09/2010 02:06, NightMist wrote:
[...]

Traditional school pudding, that. In the Olden Days...

Old September 20th 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I keep reading 'easy' recipes with exotic kinds of sugars. I'm just
wondering where on earth a person goes to buy such things. I'd think
about ordering online, but paying postage on sugar just seems awful.

Sunny
Old September 20th 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

I wonder how you make snow sugar? I guess you can sprinkle it over treats
and it doesn't melt away. I believe it has some sort of fat incorporated
into it but now I
forgot. We have a big health food kind of store near here (in loma linda,
one of the 'blue' zones). They have a huge assortment of oddball stuff but
I don't get down there as often as I used to .
Taria

Old September 20th 10, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 10:44:37 -0700, Sunny wrote:

I keep reading 'easy' recipes with exotic kinds of sugars. I'm just
wondering where on earth a person goes to buy such things. I'd think
about ordering online, but paying postage on sugar just seems awful.

A lot of them aren't near so exotic as they sound.
The problem I run into is sometimes off the shelf North american versions
are not quite the thing.

Confectioner's sugar is not always a drop in replacement for european
icing sugar. Confectioners sugar is cut with cornstarch.
American brown sugar is not always a drop in replacement for brown sugar
from many other places. Most american brown sugar is naught but white
sugar with a drop of molasses added.

Sometimes it doesn't make a bit of difference. Sometimes it is just full
of fail.

As I grok it caster sugar is just superfine sugar. Make your own by
running regular white sugar in the food processor. No sense buying the
spendy stuff when a couple minutes and pushing a button will do. The
point of it is it dissolves faster, so if you pay attention to the recipe
and how you do things you might not even need to bother. Depends on how
easily you actually need the sugar to dissolve.

Demerara, muscavado, turbadino, and jaggery are all pretty much the same
thing. Raw sugar, naturally brown, and in various fineness of grinds.
Raw sugar is pretty pricey (talk about counterintuitive!), but it does
taste very different from the brown sugar on the grocery shelf.

Here is a whole dictionary of sugar:
http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...p-glossary.asp

What bites my butt is having to read the ingredients on a bag of sugar.
If it is a blend it should say so in big freaking letters on the label!
I have been caught by blends that don't say they are though.
Nothing quite like winding up with a pot of chocolate syrup instead of
the plate of fudge you were expecting because it didn't occur to you that
you had to read the ingredients list on a kitchen staple. I wound up
having to threaten mayhem, and warn everybody that the next blend that
came into the house would portend mailordering proper sugar in fifty
pound sacks, before I was promised that no more blends would be bought
when I wasn't there to personally read the label.

NightMist

--
I'm raising a developmentally disabled child. What's your superpower?

Another new thing tried Louise[_2_] Quilting 5 June 16th 07 04:53 AM
AD: One more thing before I go ;-) Susan B. Beads 6 July 11th 04 07:43 AM
The 6 x 6 thing! Maggs K Yarn 4 April 22nd 04 12:48 AM
What is this thing? C Ryman Glass 4 January 31st 04 08:30 AM
one more thing. Joyce Quilting 0 September 6th 03 11:26 AM