I'm Considering opening a Crafts Market.

Old June 22nd 04, 05:45 PM
Charles A. Peavey

Default I'm Considering opening a Crafts Market.

Greetings:

I have been kind of hanging around here listening to all the talk of beads
and lampwork and I have a question for the group. I have a building in a
resort town on the North Coast of California. The building was a bar and
dancehall for many years and I really do not have any interst in continuing
as a bar. I was thinking of opening a crafts marketplace. Not one of those
crafts places where they sell trinketsw for people to assemble into crafts
for personal use but real craft items. Items that are hand wrought such as
the beads you produce. I would also like to have live demonstrations of
artisans practicing their crafts from time to time.

This is not a scam and I am absolutely serious about opening up such a shop.
I have about 3500 square feet and more available. The City jusrisdiction
will not let me break it upinto individual shops because they claim it
intensifies the use. The building is on the busiest corner in town and there
are enough antique stores in the area already. If you have any suggestions
I would really like to hear them. I myself work in wrought iron and glass.
My background includes an undergraduate degree in vocational education with
an emphasis on craft industries and my family for generations have been
blacksmiths and artists. I wanted to trot this suggestion out here because
you seem to be a lot more user friendly than some of the other groups on
usenet: especially the glass group!

Best regards,
Charles

Old June 22nd 04, 06:31 PM
Dr. Sooz

I wanted to trot this suggestion out here because
you seem to be a lot more user friendly than some of the other groups on
usenet: especially the glass group!

Though we can be bitches too.
~~
Sooz
Old June 22nd 04, 07:04 PM
Christina Peterson

We used to have a place in town that was a consignment co-op. Worked pretty
well. Could you get gov't money for it? For "hiring" people with
disabilities, eg those physically prevented from standing a lot (as many
crafters are)? Or for vocational/entrepreneurial retraining? It could be
the difference between scraping by and doing well. Where are you at?
Mendo?

Tina

Old June 22nd 04, 08:27 PM
Charles A. Peavey

I am in Mendocino County but in the City of Fort Bragg. Fort Bragg has
undergone tremendous economic and social conflict over the last several
years and is quite a depressed area locally but this year the tourists are
back in droves. I hadn't considered any outside money and I probably woldn't
know how to even ask. I'm an old stodgy Yankee (from Maine) and have always
gone at things alone. Out of school I originally trained in a major retail
organization but things have changed so much. I am certainly looking for
ideas and any help.

Regards,
Charles

Old June 22nd 04, 08:52 PM
Dr. Sooz

I am in Mendocino County but in the City of Fort Bragg. Fort Bragg has
undergone tremendous economic and social conflict over the last several
years and is quite a depressed area locally but this year the tourists are
back in droves.

You'd be stunned by how many of us know where that is. Some of us have even
been there, many many many times!

I hadn't considered any outside money and I probably woldn't
know how to even ask.

Small business administration comes to mind....pretty old and stodgy itself.

Out of school I originally trained in a major retail
organization but things have changed so much. I am certainly looking for
ideas and any help.

What kind of help, exactly? You'll have to be really specific to get any
answers. If you don't know, then you need to do more research using the
information that's already out there. Use google.com to start your search.
Put it all on paper (or type it into your computer). That'd be a start.
~~
Sooz
Old June 22nd 04, 08:57 PM
Candace

snippity
I'm an old stodgy Yankee (from Maine) and have always
gone at things alone.

This caught my eye. If the craft business is what you're looking to go
into..."alone" won't work anymore. Crafting is all about sharing. This is a
_good_ thing, by the way

~Candace~
Orphan Beads Low cost and bartering for the financially challenged beader
http://snipurl.com/6s4t

Old June 22nd 04, 09:19 PM
Dr. Sooz

I'm an old stodgy Yankee (from Maine) and have always
gone at things alone.

This caught my eye. If the craft business is what you're looking to go
into..."alone" won't work anymore. Crafting is all about sharing. This is
_good_ thing, by the way

That is a VERY good point. Going it alone won't work in the 21st century, even
-- no matter what you do. Give it up!
~~
Sooz
Old June 22nd 04, 10:53 PM
Letrinka

It kills this girl from Massachusetts (a Mainiac wouldn't call me a
New Englander or a Yankee, because I'm from the Flatlands of
Taxachusetts), but they are right. Crafting is defititely a group
thing. Hard for us to admit, but sometimes those left coasters are
right.

Nah, sometimes they just make a lucky guess.....
Old June 23rd 04, 01:46 AM
Cheryl

Charles

open it as a GALLERY rather than a "craft shop" -- look for higher end
design work -
and take them on commission with the artists.

this avoids the "breaking it up as separate shops" - and if you are in an
antique area -- most likely you will have enough "walk-by" trade with money in
their pockets.

Sounds like an area where you might actually succeed....
Check out any galleries within a 50 mile radius of you - to get an idea of the
market and artists....
good luck!

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS