OT (maybe) - blog printing

Old July 7th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Default OT (maybe) - blog printing

Quite often, I come across great needlework tutorials that people have
posted in their blogs. When I try to print some of them, the first page
often has just the banner; the content starts on the second page and
everything that extends past that page's margins disappears. Firefox is
my browser of choice but the same thing happens in IE. A post found by
googling seemed to indicate that it was the blogger's fault for not
setting it up correctly.

Does anyone know of a fix from the reader side?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old July 7th 08, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
BeverlyB

Don't know if this will help but have you tried highlighting the text and
then when you hit print just tell it to print the hightlighted text? The
other option of course is to highlight and then do a copy and paste into a
word processing program.
Beverly B

. ..

Old July 7th 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
F.James Cripwell

anne ) writes:
Quite often, I come across great needlework tutorials that people have
posted in their blogs. When I try to print some of them, the first page
often has just the banner; the content starts on the second page and
everything that extends past that page's margins disappears. Firefox is
my browser of choice but the same thing happens in IE. A post found by
googling seemed to indicate that it was the blogger's fault for not
setting it up correctly.

Does anyone know of a fix from the reader side?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

What I would try is to save the blog. File - Save as. Note what name is
used, or give it your own name. Then go off line, find the file, and see
what happens. Jim.
Old July 7th 08, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Shanti

On Jul 7, 3:45*pm, (F.James Cripwell) wrote:
anne ) writes:
Quite often, I come across great needlework tutorials that people have
posted in their blogs. When I try to print some of them, the first page
often has just the banner; the content starts on the second page and
everything that extends past that page's margins disappears. Firefox is
my browser of choice but the same thing happens in IE. A post found by
googling seemed to indicate that it was the blogger's fault for not
setting it up correctly.

Changing the page setup from Portrait to Landscape? That might bring
long lines in. My preferred way to deal with this problem is to copy
the text into Word. If I also want the figures, I copy them one by one
and insert them in the Word file where needed. It involves a little
more work, but at least I shall have everything needed for that
project in one place! Incidentally, I may mention that's how I started
a Jacobean embroidery project from the Embroiderer's Guild website.

-Shanti
Old July 7th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney)

F.James Cripwell wrote:
anne ) writes:
Quite often, I come across great needlework tutorials that people have
posted in their blogs. When I try to print some of them, the first page
often has just the banner; the content starts on the second page and
everything that extends past that page's margins disappears. Firefox is
my browser of choice but the same thing happens in IE. A post found by
googling seemed to indicate that it was the blogger's fault for not
setting it up correctly.

Does anyone know of a fix from the reader side?
--
another anne, add ingers to reply

What I would try is to save the blog. File - Save as. Note what name is
used, or give it your own name. Then go off line, find the file, and see
what happens. Jim.

I find that printing web pages (which can be quite "long" and/or "wide")
is often tricky. I cured that by using PDFcreator
www.pdfforge.org/products/pdfcreator/download, much easier.
(No connection with the product, just a satisfied user)
Bruce
Old July 8th 08, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
anne

Thanks for all the suggestions. FYI, I've done the save as, copy/paste,
changed orientation and scale, and create PDF document procedures but
was hoping someone knew of something to overcome the (*&^%$ bad coding
for most blog servers.

I know it's the blog servers' fault because I created several on
different sites. When doing a print preview or PDF print, wordpress.com
was the only one I tried that didn't insist on the banner being on its
own page and created new pages if needed instead of arbitrarily cropping
content at the botton of page 2. Admittedly, my experiments were brief
but I didn't easily see customization options to overcome this problem.

Note to all you bloggers who are kind enough to post content that you
want people to be able to print, please dig around or bombard the site
management with pleas for fixes.

--
another anne, add ingers to reply
Old July 8th 08, 02:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Magic Mood Jeep ©

anne wrote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. FYI, I've done the save as, copy/paste,
changed orientation and scale, and create PDF document procedures but
was hoping someone knew of something to overcome the (*&^%$ bad coding
for most blog servers.

I know it's the blog servers' fault because I created several on
different sites. When doing a print preview or PDF print, wordpress.com
was the only one I tried that didn't insist on the banner being on its
own page and created new pages if needed instead of arbitrarily cropping
content at the botton of page 2. Admittedly, my experiments were brief
but I didn't easily see customization options to overcome this problem.

Note to all you bloggers who are kind enough to post content that you
want people to be able to print, please dig around or bombard the site
management with pleas for fixes.

I always do a Print Preview before printing a web site (blog or
otherwise). I know in MS Exploder you can print frames individually,
together or just the "active" frame (eliminates the banners and side
frames so that just the text/pictures you want will print). I think
there's a way to do that in Firefox, but I don't remember how to get to it.

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY

Printing help? Johanna Gibson Quilting 3 January 22nd 08 03:39 PM
Printing on candles Bill Skip General Crafting 2 August 20th 05 08:33 PM
Printing my own fabrics. Wendys Quilting 11 June 8th 05 07:04 PM
Ceramic Mug Printing, How? Nehmo Sergheyev General Crafting 1 May 25th 04 10:15 PM
Printing Bud Spotts Marketplace 1 December 28th 03 05:44 PM