Knit sweater -- Decreasing on the wrong side

Old September 25th 05, 02:16 AM
Julie

Default Knit sweater -- Decreasing on the wrong side

Hi, everyone -- I lurk and read archives, but don't generally post, but I'm
sort of stuck on a sweater I'm knitting for my son and it's starting to get
COLD, so I want to get back to work and finish it.

It's a K5/p5 etc. ribbed (shaker?) sweater, and in shaping the armholes, I
started by casting off 7 at the start of two rows, and the next directions
are to "Decrease 1 st at each end of every row" for five rows.

So what is the best way to do this? I'm afraid if I just p2tog (I'm
starting on the RS and both ends are showing the purl portion of the rib),
that it will sort of slant the wrong way on one side of the sweater. I know
that typically on the knit side I would K1, k2tog on the right-hand side and
ssk, K1 on the left. But what do I do on a purl side of the piece? And the
picture of the sweater seems to show more of a set in sleeve, so I don't
think the K1 on each side is called for.

Sorry if this is poorly explained. I'm one of those knitters who needs
idiot-proof directions. Apparently. Sigh.

Thanks for any guidance. And my son thanks you too!

Julie

Old September 25th 05, 03:09 AM
suzee

Julie wrote:

[...]

Try the p2 tog on one side and ssp (slip slip purl) on the other. Fool
around with it a little to see what looks right.

sue
Old September 25th 05, 03:41 AM
Cheryl

Well I usually do my decrease a couple of stitches in from the edge (eg. S1,
work 2, then work decrease). That gives me a nice even firm edge to graft
together when I assemble the garment (BTW - I never backstitch seams
together). This highlights the shoulder seam on a raglan, and gives a nice
finish to set in. I use the same method on sleeves and front/back pieces,
but would probably do dec closer to the edge on a set in sleeve piece (eg.
S1, work 1, work dec).

On your current pattern it will create a "new" rib along the seam that will
run "over" the ribs in the jumper, but I like this finish.

As to how - well I'm not sure you will find it in any book (LOL) but
here's how I do it

On a kint row at the beg - S1, K1, PSSO
On a knit row at the end - K2tog

On a perl row at the beg - P2tog
On a perl row at the end - S2 sts knitwise, pass slip sts back together
(reversing order on needle by sliding left needle through second then first
stitch tog from the top), P2tog

It might seem weird but it gives a smooth decrease and avoids the twist that
can come from tbl stitches. And it quickly becomes automatic. In fact I
had to think hard how to describe it.

Having read back over this I hope for your sake someone can come up with a
clearer description that suits you. LOL

Good luck

--

Cheryl

Old September 25th 05, 05:35 AM
Cheryl

Hey - glad to know I'm not the only knitter who doesn't like the dec's on
one end looking twisted!!

Knitters here think I'm nuts to bother - but my attitude is if you're gonna
bother to knit at all, do it right!

--

Cheryl

Old September 25th 05, 07:34 AM
Carol in TN

Cheryl,
Thank you for the directions on this. I have forwarded the message to
myself. Sleeve increases/decreases are something that I have never been
satisfied with and it may be because I was following the directions and
doing them at the edge. This will make the edge neater and easier to sew
together.
Thanks again.
Carol in TN

Old September 25th 05, 02:11 PM
Katherine

Cheryl wrote:
Hey - glad to know I'm not the only knitter who doesn't like the
dec's on one end looking twisted!!

Knitters here think I'm nuts to bother - but my attitude is if you're
gonna bother to knit at all, do it right!

Well, of course! And I love seeing the decrease on a raglan sleeve sweater.
It adds a nice edge,

Katherine

Old September 28th 05, 01:07 AM
Julie

Thanks so much! I'm still procrastinating (hangs head in shame and looks
guiltily over at shivering son...), but I look forward to trying it out.

Julie

Old September 28th 05, 03:45 AM
Katherine

Julie wrote:
Thanks so much! I'm still procrastinating (hangs head in shame and
looks guiltily over at shivering son...), but I look forward to
trying it out.

Oh, your poor son! Here you are, able to knit, and he is still cold! Not a
good thing! g

Katherine