VERY OT !!! RCTN member seeking religious knowledge

Old June 14th 05, 09:53 PM
Dr. Brat

Apparently you two don't have anything better to do with your time but
bash on me, or others here....

And apparently you don't have anything better to do with yours than come
here asking for negative interactions, specifically seeking out by name
people who have tried not to engage you and with whom you know you are
incapable of interacting positively (because I could say the most
positive thing in the world and you would still take it the wrong way).
Whatever happened to talking to your kids, who are so much better than
we are?

Elizabeth (who still thinks you have no idea what "bashing" looks like)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old June 14th 05, 09:58 PM
Pat EAXStitch

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
Pat EAXStitch wrote:
Most Americans can have no conception of what it was like.

In some ways perhaps it`s just as well that those of us who do remember

it
are dying out.

But do several generations out care at all? Plenty of soldiers,
including my father-in-law, remember the pain of WWII. As well, those
around who were under rationing, or were relocated to Japanese
internment camps. My point is that - with the possibile exceptions of
the Jewish peoples - the young simply can't relate.

I stand by my original argument that, for the most part, memorials such
as those in Oklahoma and the ultimate one in NYC will not have much
meaning left after a generation or two has passed.

It's even hard to get kids excited about the Liberty Bell. :-) Sure,
some take it all to heart. But by far, the vast majority don't
"connect". Perhaps my viewpoint is too narrow. I only see what goes on
around me. But I remember as a child the huge memorial services for the
war dead . . . all the white crosses lined in rows . . . the serious
ceremonies. Today, you're lucky to get 10 people - most of which are
past 50 - to attend such a ceremony, which is much less vivid in display
- if anything besides speeches at all.

Dianne

I think that`s as things should be - one moves on. Otherwise we`d still be
mourning those who died at Agincourt! Eventually all these terrible events
become a mere item in history. My family could still be mourning the St.
Bartholomew`s Day Massacre.

Pat P

Old June 14th 05, 10:02 PM
clancy

Oh I love that one Dawne - who did the chart?

Sharon (N.B.)

"Dawne Peterson" wrote in message

"Gill Murray" ...
Oh my, Sharon, I truthfuly love that. Must remember it for dear SD, who
is a royal PIB and hung up on her dad. NOT smart!!!!!!!!!!

Two of us nice churchladies are considering stitching Janlynn's "Put on
your big girl panties and deal with it" for one of the royal PIBs in our
life. Maybe SD needs that one.
Dawne

Old June 14th 05, 10:20 PM
Dawne Peterson

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote
But do several generations out care at all? Plenty of soldiers,
including my father-in-law, remember the pain of WWII. As well, those
around who were under rationing, or were relocated to Japanese
internment camps. My point is that - with the possibile exceptions of
the Jewish peoples - the young simply can't relate.

There is a Holocaust museum in Canada, with a strong educational program.
Highschool aged students regularly make field trips to see the death camps.
They are not only Jewish students, because if only the Jewish people
remember, what will stop it happening again? Young Canadians played
prominent roles in the recent commenorations of the Liberation of Holland
by Canadian troops, and are present in increasing numbers at Remembrance
Day services. I heard some of the young cadets on radio, boys and girls of
16, talking about what it was like to see the dates on a tombstone in a war
cemetary and realize the person was their age--they could relate to that.
School children are encouraged to say thank you to veterans that day.
Maybe they cannot relate in the same way someone who lived through the
experience can relate, but I do see them listening with great respect to
those people tell their experiencesl
Dawne

Old June 14th 05, 10:25 PM
Dawne Peterson

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote
I need that chart - it's a great phrase for certain situations!

Here's the one that made us laugh--our LNS also has it as a rubber stamp,
which would get the message out in much less time.
http://www.janlynn.com/detail.cfm?ID=6221
Dawne

Old June 14th 05, 10:34 PM

Pat EAXStitch wrote:

I think that`s as things should be - one moves on. Otherwise we`d still be
mourning those who died at Agincourt! Eventually all these terrible events
become a mere item in history. My family could still be mourning the St.
Bartholomew`s Day Massacre.

Pat P

My knowledge of British History is a bit spotty...I know a lot about a
little, but don't have the best overall education in it.

What was the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre? How did it affect your
family?

Caryn (always willing to learn more history!)

Old June 14th 05, 11:33 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Lucretia Borgia wrote:
I am trying to puzzle out Jim's statement that some wars are
justified. How is war ever right ?

Jim can speak for himself, but I believe what he meant by a "just war"
is that nations banded together to fight evil, such as Nazi Germany. As
opposed to a pre-emptive war such as Iraq (good ol' "shock and awe"),
and a weak rationale such as Viet Nam. I really don't know what started
WWI, but my grandfather fought on the front lines in France and refused
to talk about it. He was a survivor of mustard gas and paid dearly the
rest of his life.
Dianne
--
"The Journal of Needlework" - The E-zine for All Needleworkers
http://journal.heritageshoppe.com

Old June 15th 05, 12:01 AM
Pat EAXStitch

wrote in message
ups.com...

Pat EAXStitch wrote:

I think that`s as things should be - one moves on. Otherwise we`d still

be
mourning those who died at Agincourt! Eventually all these terrible

events
become a mere item in history. My family could still be mourning the

St.
Bartholomew`s Day Massacre.

Pat P

My ancestors were Huguenots - Protestants - and on St Bartholomews Day on
24th August 1572, under the auspices of Catherine de Medici, who encouraged
her reluctant son, King Henri to give the order, thousands of Huguenots were
slaughtered in Paris and the surrounding countryside. This led to a great
number of Huguenots escaping mainly to Britain. There were many artisans
among them - many silkweavers settled in Spittalfields, amongst them my own
ancestors.