All Washed Up

Old October 28th 03, 03:09 PM
Trish

Wow Slinky!
Glad you didn't get burned!

think the stuff took the finish off of my no-wax vinyl tile.

That will probably end up being the most expensive soap you ever made!:(

--
Trish
http://community.webshots.com/user/trishirvine

Old October 28th 03, 08:12 PM
Agres

I'm so glad that nobody was hurt!

Lye is just as dangerous and hazardous as the chemicals we use for dyeing.
Soap that is hot enough to melt molds may be hot enough to burn skin.
(Everyone in the room was wearing personal protective gear: googles, gloves
& protective clothing; Right? And, if only one person was in the room, then
there was another adult within easy call, right?)

RCTY may wish to advise that making soap should be done outdoors like
dyeing.

A while back, I was part of a group that worked at a very bad place with
very hazardous materials. We went a million man-hours without a single lost
time acident. That proved to me that accidents are preventable. RCTY should
be able to compile an even better safety record. Many of us work in and
around the home. Let's keep our homes safe and accident free.

Smart people learn from their own mistakes.
Wise people learn from the mistakes of others.

Aaron

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
Any of you who make soap can identify with this frustration...

Last year (and I've slept several times since) I purchased some actual
soap molds through a co-op purchase on one of the Yahoo lists. I
would SWEAR that I purchased hot-process molds.

Today I had time and decided to make a last batch of soap before the
fiber fair at which I'm vending in a couple of weeks. I had *barely*
enough lye for the size batch I wanted, so life was OK.

Mixed my lye solution, melted my oils, drank another cuppa while
everything cooled, and got after it. The stuff traced faster than
usual and cooked up nicely - it was GOOD looking soap in the pot once
it stopped fizzing and homogenized nicely.

So I set out my mold on its usual stand - a Rubbermaid brand footstool
with a surface area just slightly smaller in all dimensions than the
mold. Poured the (hot) soap. And watched in disbelief as the mold
melted and the soap ran onto the floor, flowing under my fridge, my
stove, and my dishwasher in the process.

I was too flabbergasted to say bad words.

So today I have made soap, and used it hot off the stove to clean
under appliances that were better left where they were. So THAT'S
where all the milk-cap rings end up when the cats lose them! I also
think the stuff took the finish off of my no-wax vinyl tile.

More S.E.X. in a different city... Kate Dicey Quilting 3 January 30th 05 06:57 PM
Where Do You Baste? mrsb Quilting 25 July 12th 04 04:37 PM
PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!! Washing Fabric Question Christina Doucette Quilting 23 March 9th 04 03:12 AM
Fabric Bleeding Continued Eli Quilting 9 February 13th 04 05:10 PM
Could it Be True - Is Fusible Webbing Bad for your Quilt???? Sharon Harper Quilting 10 January 20th 04 05:17 PM