Easy breakfast recipe

Old October 20th 03, 03:00 PM
SlinkyToy

Default Easy breakfast recipe

Those of you with ricecookers will appreciate this. Only one thing to
clean, and that'll be easy-peasy to wash up, as the oats won't scorch
and stick to the bottom.

No-scorch oatmeal

Into the bowl of the ricecooker dump 1c steel-cut oats and 1.5c water
(or a bit more, if you want mushier oats). Fill the reservoir of the
cooker to the "low fill" line. Cook for 45 mins, or until the oats
are as done as you like them.

YMMV with the proportions of water to oats, and the cooking time. I
have a Black&Decker T800 "Handy Steamer Flavor Scenter" type thing,
this waterats ratio and cook time works best to produce oats I like
- which are toothy and tender in a nice creamy matrix.

Top as you see fit (in my case that's butter and brown sugar), serve
with yogurt and fruit and you should be good to go until lunchtime.
*********

Alternate preparation, the night befo

In a pot boil 4x the water as oats you intend to cook (ie, 1c oats
wants 4c water). Dump in oats, turn off heat, clap on lid. Go to
bed. Next morning reheat in the microwave and serve.

Again, easy to clean as you theoretically didn't cook the oats to the
bottom of the pot.
***********

Another alternate and more portable preparation, also done the night
befo

Into a 2-cup widemouth thermos pour 1c boiling water and add 1/4c
oats. Put in the plug and go to bed. Next morning slip in a spoonful
of sugar and a pat of butter, and off to work you go with your
breakfast.
************

Variations on a theme include adding precooked and thoroughly drained
sausage to a bowl of cooked oats, or adding cheese and a bit of
pepper, or topping with homemade jam or jelly instead of sugar. I
tend to treat oatmeal the way I treat grits - depending on what meal
I'm serving it with and what I'm in the mood for I'll treat it as
breakfast food or a dinner side dish. This morning I added sausage
AND cheese (hush, I only do that once a week), then washed it all down
with a big glass of fresh OJ. I might not need lunch!
Old October 20th 03, 04:03 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Yummy!
I LOVE oatmeal, plain malto-meal, grits and hot grape-nuts!
Thanks for sharing, Slinky.
Noreen

--
STRIP *tease* to email me.

---

Old October 20th 03, 05:22 PM
Madelaine

SlinkyToy wrote:
[...]

Slinky,
You will lower your cholesterol, except maybe for the cheese and sausage
variation. I'm a big oatmeal fan myself. My favorite way is to put
cinnamon in the cooking water, make long-cooking scotch oats (thick
rolled oats) and top with agave syrup (made from a cactus fruit--really
good stuff).

Old October 20th 03, 05:58 PM
Agres

In Ireland, you feed your oats to your horses, and Ireland is famous for
its fine horses.
In Scotland, save our oats for our men, and Scotland is famous for its fine
men.

---- Attributed to a Scottish sargent responding to my (Irish) grandfather
complaining about oat porridge for breakfast when he was attached to a
Scottish regiment in WW1.

Now, you know why men look so fine in a kilt! It's the oats.

I have to confess that I like to add dried fruit, vanilla, and cinnamon to
my oatmeal, then while the oatmeal is still hot and fluid, I pour it into a
buttered dish. When cool, the now solid oatmeal is cut into bars and put it
in the refrigerator for snacks. It is moister, and somehow more satisfying
than the commercial snack bars.

Aaron

Old October 20th 03, 07:00 PM
Els van Dam

In article , SlinkyToy
wrote:

Michelle, we cook our oats in milk, my Australia, raised in England son in
law does it the seamed way in water. He thinks our method is terribble and
we find the water steamed oats lacking.....LOL

Els, who eats oats every morning, not with butter but a bit of brown
sugar, and sliced apples from the garden

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old October 20th 03, 07:02 PM
Els van Dam

In article , Madelaine wrote:

Slinky,
You will lower your cholesterol, except maybe for the cheese and sausage
variation. I'm a big oatmeal fan myself. My favorite way is to put
cinnamon in the cooking water, make long-cooking scotch oats (thick
rolled oats) and top with agave syrup (made from a cactus fruit--really
good stuff).

Yes I forgot we alsways get rolled oats.
Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old October 20th 03, 07:06 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Agres"
wrote:

In Ireland, you feed your oats to your horses, and Ireland is famous for
its fine horses.
In Scotland, save our oats for our men, and Scotland is famous for its fine
men.

---- Attributed to a Scottish sargent responding to my (Irish) grandfather
complaining about oat porridge for breakfast when he was attached to a
Scottish regiment in WW1.

Now, you know why men look so fine in a kilt! It's the oats.

I have to confess that I like to add dried fruit, vanilla, and cinnamon to
my oatmeal, then while the oatmeal is still hot and fluid, I pour it into a
buttered dish. When cool, the now solid oatmeal is cut into bars and put it
in the refrigerator for snacks. It is moister, and somehow more satisfying
than the commercial snack bars.

Aaron

Aaron, my mother used to say that when you use that method of making
oatmeal.....bars....you could make river pebbels edible.....(grinning)

Els

--
I have added a trap for spammers......niet.....
Old October 21st 03, 01:04 PM
Barbara Vaughan

Els van Dam wrote:

In article , Madelaine wrote:

Slinky,
You will lower your cholesterol, except maybe for the cheese and sausage
variation. I'm a big oatmeal fan myself. My favorite way is to put
cinnamon in the cooking water, make long-cooking scotch oats (thick
rolled oats) and top with agave syrup (made from a cactus fruit--really
good stuff).

Yes I forgot we alsways get rolled oats.

I love oatmeal and it's not easy to find in Italy. I can't find rolled
oats at all. Sometimes I find the cut oats. What's easier to find, but
only in health food stores, is completely unprocessed oats. They have
too many big husks that can't be chewed and get stuck in my teeth and
gums. Also, for some reason, they don't absorb the water, and what you
get is more like oatmeal soup.

In any case, I microwave my oats right in the bowl I'm going to eat them
from. The power setting and time depend on what kind of oats, so you
would have to experiment. I stick them in the microwave as soon as I get
up, and they're ready by the time I'm dressed.

I eat them with milk and very little sugar.

Barbara
Old October 21st 03, 04:24 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 14:00:09 GMT, SlinkyToy wrote:

Into the bowl of the ricecooker dump 1c steel-cut oats and 1.5c water
(or a bit more, if you want mushier oats). Fill the reservoir of the
cooker to the "low fill" line. Cook for 45 mins, or until the oats
are as done as you like them.

Sounds like you have a very different rice cooker from mine! Mine makes a
crust of the rice at the bottom of the pot; no double boiler effect. Still.
it's a very tasty crust, especially with brown rice. I might still try
it with whole oat groats, but I'd be reluctant with cut oats.

YMMV with the proportions of water to oats, and the cooking time. I
have a Black&Decker T800 "Handy Steamer Flavor Scenter" type thing,
this waterats ratio and cook time works best to produce oats I like
- which are toothy and tender in a nice creamy matrix.

Sounds yummy.

Top as you see fit (in my case that's butter and brown sugar), serve
with yogurt and fruit and you should be good to go until lunchtime.
*********

With me it's cinnamon, splenda and a sprinkle of ground flax seed, but I do
cook it on the stove top. I use whole oat groats, but I run them through
the oat flake setting on my hand-crank flour mill. Tastes so much fresher
than steam-rolled oats and cooks as fast as "quick oats".

Another alternate and more portable preparation, also done the night
befo

Into a 2-cup widemouth thermos pour 1c boiling water and add 1/4c
oats. Put in the plug and go to bed. Next morning slip in a spoonful
of sugar and a pat of butter, and off to work you go with your
breakfast.
************

Used to do this all the time before I got the flour mill. Yummy, and just
right for single serving even if you eat it at home.

Variations on a theme include adding precooked and thoroughly drained
sausage to a bowl of cooked oats, or adding cheese and a bit of
pepper, or topping with homemade jam or jelly instead of sugar. I
tend to treat oatmeal the way I treat grits - depending on what meal
I'm serving it with and what I'm in the mood for I'll treat it as
breakfast food or a dinner side dish. This morning I added sausage
AND cheese (hush, I only do that once a week), then washed it all down
with a big glass of fresh OJ. I might not need lunch!

I don't think I've ever had savory additions to oats or grits. Interesting.
Grits tend to be just butter and salt, maybe a little pepper.

Helen "Halla" Fleischer,
Fantasy & Fiber Artist in Fairland, MD USA
http://home.covad.net/~drgandalf/halla/
Old October 21st 03, 04:32 PM
Helen \Halla\ Fleischer

| On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 14:04:50 +0200, Barbara Vaughan wrote:

I love oatmeal and it's not easy to find in Italy. I can't find rolled
oats at all. Sometimes I find the cut oats. What's easier to find, but
only in health food stores, is completely unprocessed oats. They have
too many big husks that can't be chewed and get stuck in my teeth and
gums. Also, for some reason, they don't absorb the water, and what you
get is more like oatmeal soup.

Can you find a Marga Molina mill? That's what I use to make my oat groats
into quick-cooking rolled oats. It's made in Italy by the same people who
make the Atlas pasta machine. I use 1/3 cup of the rolled oats to a cup of
water for a single serving but the proportion of water goes down slowly as
you do more servings. It's as if it's really 2:1 but you need a 1/3 cup for
the pot. Anyway, when I put the oats in the water, any hulls that have been
missed by the processing tend to float, because my rolling has rolled them
off the grains. On an electric stove, I bring them to the boil then turn
off the heat and let it sit for a few minutes. On gas, in the camper, I
boil for one minute before turning off, since there's less residual heat on
a gas burner after turning it off.