In praise of speed methods!

Old January 14th 04, 05:00 PM
frood

Default In praise of speed methods!

I've been trying out a couple of different speed piecing methods this week.
First I tried fast flying geese, using this method:
http://www.patchpieces.com/FlyingGeese.pdf I dug through my scrap basket
and cut some squares and made 5 or 6 sets of 4 flying geese units. Way cool!

Today, I tried a HST method from Nancy Martin:
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...371588,00.html
I've been wanting to try this method for a long time, but didn't have a
project that needed HSTs. Well I still don't, but I decided to do it anyway!
In less than 20 minutes, I had 8 perfect HSTs. Cool! And, I'm not an
obsessivly accurate piecer. There is a small amount of fabric wasted, but it
was easy to get good, accurate HSTs. The site says you can get 50 (2.5")
from 2 FQs. I may just have to find a project for that! ;-) Hey, Miss Fussy
Rose's quilt will need a border...

Why am I doing this? Mainly to learn how. Why am I doing it *now*? I've told
myself I can't start cutting Miss Fussy Rose's quilt, or Spike and Giles' I
Spy quilts until Xena is finished. I LOVE cutting. I'm not wild about
quilting. So, if I spend time quilting, then I get to play a little. I'm not
creating another UFO, I'm learning methods. The bits I create can go right
in the scrap basket if I want.

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old January 14th 04, 05:15 PM
Diana Curtis

Learning new things just for the sake of learning them is a valid reason to.
It feels fun to stretch our abilitys.
You can always put those FG into a garbage quilt... similar to a BOM but
less planned. :-)
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
r.com...

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/cr_quilting...299_1371588,00.

Old January 14th 04, 05:54 PM
frood

Ok, shhh! Don't tell anybody, but I saw a quilt on Simply Quilts that was a
block with 3 FG units, all going the same way, with strips on either side,
to make a square block. Then the blocks were assembled with the geese going
every which way. I thought it was so cool, and that's what inspired the FG
frenzy. But, if I pretend I'm just learning a method, then I'm not starting
a new project. See?

--

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Learning new things just for the sake of learning them is a valid reason

to.
It feels fun to stretch our abilitys.
You can always put those FG into a garbage quilt... similar to a BOM but
less planned. :-)
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
r.com...

Old January 14th 04, 06:11 PM
Kathy in CA

That sounds cool! What does simply quilts call this FQ quilt so I can hunt
for it?
--
Kathy in CA
Quilting Stuff:

"frood" wrote in message
m...
[...]

r.com...

Old January 14th 04, 06:55 PM
frood

It was one of the background quilts when Linda Ballard was on, showing this
method. Show number 758, A Gaggle of Geese. But I couldn't find a pic of it.

Old January 14th 04, 07:17 PM
Chipper

That's something I need to do! Just make my little type A self focus on
learning these techniques once and for all. Having these methods at my
fingertips would make it so much less daunting to plan a quilt. I tend to
be too impatient to do all the nit-picky one step at a time approaches, and
too impatient to stop and learn new ways to do the steps! Sooo, I often
avoid patterns that I like because they seem like too much trouble.
You're setting a very fine example, Wendy, (but don't let it go to your head

chipper

r.com...

Old January 14th 04, 07:27 PM
Diana Curtis

I wont tell anyone, for a small fee. I have need of a FG quilt in my future.
;-)
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44
"frood" wrote in message
m...
[...]

r.com...

Old January 14th 04, 07:30 PM
Julia Altshuler

frood wrote:
Ok, shhh! Don't tell anybody, but I saw a quilt on Simply Quilts that was a
block with 3 FG units, all going the same way, with strips on either side,
to make a square block. Then the blocks were assembled with the geese going
every which way. I thought it was so cool, and that's what inspired the FG
frenzy. But, if I pretend I'm just learning a method, then I'm not starting
a new project. See?

Yes, I saw that too. I've already given it some thought. The block in
the quilt is 3 flying geese units surrounded by 2 bars to make a square.
But the speed method makes 4 geese. The trick must be to use the
speed method 3 times with 1 fabric to make a total of 12 geese; use the
12 geese to make 4 blocks and speckle them around the quilt so it
doesn't look too predictable.

The quilt on Simply Quilts had the geese and the bars in jewel tones on
a black background. I'd want to throw some patterns in there too.

--Lia

Old January 14th 04, 07:33 PM
Ann

Here is a pic of Gaggle of Geese..........with instructions
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/crafting/ar...396322,00.html

Ann
http://community.webshots.com/user/mrs_ducky

m...

Old January 14th 04, 07:34 PM
frood

I figured I'd save the 4th gooses for a border, or use them for something
else.

--

"Julia Altshuler" wrote in message

Yes, I saw that too. I've already given it some thought. The block in
the quilt is 3 flying geese units surrounded by 2 bars to make a square.
But the speed method makes 4 geese. The trick must be to use the
speed method 3 times with 1 fabric to make a total of 12 geese; use the
12 geese to make 4 blocks and speckle them around the quilt so it
doesn't look too predictable.

The quilt on Simply Quilts had the geese and the bars in jewel tones on
a black background. I'd want to throw some patterns in there too.

--Lia

OT - Story - In Praise of Central Heat Kathy N-V Beads 7 January 10th 05 05:23 AM
firing speed Richard Pottery 2 June 26th 04 05:43 AM
making a flower by chasing, or other NONcasting methods. Des Bromilow Jewelry 1 June 9th 04 03:44 PM
Words of Praise Rhea Needlework 4 March 28th 04 03:42 AM
Finally, almost high speed comes to my town Arlinda Brook Needlework 0 August 24th 03 09:42 PM