Cable knitting

Old March 10th 04, 03:02 AM
Tommy

Default Cable knitting

I'm working on a cable knit project with a cable involving 24 st. (12 st sl
to cable needle). I'm finding the stitches on the cable needle are
extremely tight, and get moreso as I get closer to the last sts to knit off
the cable needle. This is the first cable project I've worked up, and I'm
not sure if this is normal. Any advice, or pointers to something helpful
online.
Thanks.

Old March 10th 04, 03:13 AM
Caryn

I'm working on a cable knit project with a cable involving 24 st. (12 st sl
to cable needle). I'm finding the stitches on the cable needle are
extremely tight, and get moreso as I get closer to the last sts to knit off
the cable needle. This is the first cable project I've worked up, and I'm
not sure if this is normal. Any advice, or pointers to something helpful
online.

12 stitches is a lot to carry across a cable, so I'm not at all surprised you
are having trouble with the tightness.

Does it look ok after you knit a row or two above the twist? If it does, than
things are probably exactly as they should be.

If not, perhaps you should check the gauge? Make sure it's right on target,
and adjust with the size of the needles if it isn't.

I'm sorry I can't offer more advice! Good luck!

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)
Old March 10th 04, 03:24 AM
Texasxsgal1

when I do cables, my stitches don't usually get put on a cable needle (don't
care much for em) I usually slip em onto a dp needle (you could use a biger
size maybe if you wante em looser)
If i can' find the dp needle i use anything handy, toothpick, booy pin ,safgty
pin, pencil, etc
i slip the stitches onto whatever i'm using, knit the ones on the needle then
slip these stitches back onto the left needle and knit em
sounds tortuous, but it actually goes pretty fast. I knit the continental way,
I believe, Yarn is held in left hand and picked up by right needle. yarn is
not "thrown" around needle
kathy
san antonio

Old March 10th 04, 09:24 AM
vlerk

"Tommy" schreef in bericht:
I'm working on a cable knit project with a cable involving 24 st. (12 st

sl
to cable needle). I'm finding the stitches on the cable needle are
extremely tight, and get moreso as I get closer to the last sts to knit

off
the cable needle. This is the first cable project I've worked up, and I'm
not sure if this is normal. Any advice, or pointers to something helpful
online.
Thanks.

12-over-12 stitches is a lot, especially for your first
cable-experience! Those 12 stitches have to move quiet a distance before
they are knitted again and that's what makes the stitches so tight.

You could try using 2 cableneedles, each one for 6 stitches, perhaps
this is more convenient.

If not, you could try to give some extra yarn (wind your wool around the
needle once between stitch 6 and 7 and let this slip away when cableing)
in the last row before cableing.

The bigger the cable, the more rows of knitting it takes for the cable
to settle. My advice is to make a sample before starting your sweater,
always :-)

succes,
Grea