An FO

Old June 30th 07, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected][_2_]

Default An FO

What is it?

Mary

It's a Pi Shawl.

Old July 1st 07, 09:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
oups.com...

What is it?

Mary

It's a Pi Shawl.

Thank you.

What's a Pi shawl?

Mary

Old July 1st 07, 11:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

A PI Shawl ,,,, was so called by P R Square shawl by the Late
Elizabeth Zimmerman .
Have a look in her Book Knitting around By Elizabeth Zimmermann,
Schoolhouse press , 1989. page 108 .
mirjam

What's a Pi shawl?

Mary

Old July 1st 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected][_2_]

What's a Pi shawl?

A circular shawl that starts in the center, is knitted "in the
round" (flat, but on circular needles!). Geometry says there is a
mathematical relationship between the circumference and the diameter
of a circle; the Pi Shawl takes advantage of this. Elizabeth
Zimmermann wrote the pattern for it 30 or more years ago.

Mirjam - Pi Are Squared is a variation on a theme, it's the same basic
principle but split from the center out with some shaping that makes
one edge "flat", so it hangs better or something. I thought Flory up
in Alaska developed that pattern but there's every possibility I'm
wrong about the designer, especially since I can't find my copy of the
mag with the pattern in it.

Wooly
Enjoying what appears to be a 3rd day of no rain. Stupid weather-
guessers have us washing away for two more weeks, I guess they can't
open the curtain and look outside!

Old July 1st 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

wrote in message
ups.com...

What's a Pi shawl?

A circular shawl that starts in the center, is knitted "in the
round" (flat, but on circular needles!). Geometry says there is a
mathematical relationship between the circumference and the diameter
of a circle; the Pi Shawl takes advantage of this. Elizabeth
Zimmermann wrote the pattern for it 30 or more years ago.

Where can I get a pattern - I'm no mathematician!

Enjoying what appears to be a 3rd day of no rain.

Three days? That's a drought!!!

We've officially had the wettest June since 1914.

Mary

Old July 1st 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected][_2_]

On Jul 1, 1:56 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

Where can I get a pattern - I'm no mathematician!

http://www.schoolhousepress.com is Elizabeth Zimmermann's company, now
run by her daughter Meg Swansen. Right now is camp season, so don't
expect fast turn-around.

Ask your library for a copy of Knitters Almanac, by EZ. It has in it
the basic pattern, to which you can apply endless different lace
patterns. I've made four Pi shawls in the last couple of years,
they're all different

You can also find patterns for sale that are based on EZ's Pi.
They're variations on a theme, but all based on the original
geometry.

Enjoying what appears to be a 3rd day of no rain.

Three days? That's a drought!!!

We've officially had the wettest June since 1914.

Us too. I spoke too soon about 3rd day of no rain - there's a nasty
low heading my way from the Gulf and it's sucking along a big line of
storms. I only *though* I was going to the pool later... The local
stuffed shirts are pronouncing our 5+ year-long drought to be over
simply because we have so much surface water right now. Fools, they
are.

Old July 1st 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
[email protected][_2_]

On Jul 1, 2:36 pm, "Mary Fisher" wrote:

Sorry, I should have said, I'm in England :-(

Last time I was on your side of the puddle England still had libraries
and post!

Old July 1st 07, 10:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Jul 2, 8:14 am, "
wrote:
Last time I was on your side of the puddle England still had libraries
and post!

I can't get EZ books in my local library in NZ, so I think it entirely
possible that she isn't available in other libraries in the world.

I've looked at buying some stuff from Schoolhouse Press but the cost
of postage is steep and they don't do electronic versions so you can
just have your patterns delivered by email (I did ask). I do really
struggle to get access to her stuff without paying the earth.

VP