Rolex watches resale value??

Old August 17th 03, 11:06 PM
T.T. Lee

Default Rolex watches resale value??

as title, any information about this?? By average, what can I expect
if I have to resell my Rolex watches after 10, or 20 years?? Many
thanks!
Old August 18th 03, 05:44 AM
NE333RO

as title, any information about this?? By average, what can I expect
if I have to resell my Rolex watches after 10, or 20 years?? Many
thanks!

Whats my Chevy worth?
Old August 18th 03, 05:54 AM
Peter W. Rowe

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 21:46:41 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry
(NE333RO) wrote:

Whats my Chevy worth?

This may sound like a flippant answer. But it isn't really.

Resale of a used Rolex will depend on many many factors, including which model
it is, how rare or desirable it is in the market when resale is attempted, it's
condition, and what the current demand might be for such things at that time.
None of these are predictable or constant. A few things to understand are that
only rarely do resale values exceed the costs of the item when new, at least not
after adjusting for inflation. And in resale values, you loose the retail
markup percentages you paid when buying it, as well as the fact that you may be
selling it in a market that typically pays a lower percentage of the retail.
This can vary a lot, depending on how you sell it.

So the quoted answer turns out to by illustrative.
To know what a used car is worth, you need to know age, condition, desrability
of the model, who's selling it to whom, and other such things. A used car can
be worth a lot, or almost nothing. Your watches are subject the same variables.
While it may have substantial resale value when you get to that point, you
cannot predict this in advance. Among other things, there are factors that may
come into existance that you can't predict. Rolex made it's name in the day of
mechanical watch movements, when it was one which could stand among the most
accurate and well made of watches. And then along came quartz watches. Now
almost the cheapest watch can keep the same type of accurate time as the costly,
and much more delicate, mechanical watches such as Rolex. Gone then, is it's
appeal as an accurate watch. Now it's value is mostly the prestige and
collector appeal, something that applies to most high end watches today. Quartz
movements forever changed the nature of the watch market. Who knows what new
developements will again change it. Perhaps in ten years, devices will exist
that mean that nobody would want to wear such an antiquated watch. Who knows.

Peter

Peter