What are you working on?

Old September 21st 05, 04:47 PM
Pat in Virginia

Rose,
What are your fabric requirements for the green quilt?
Did you finish the run of blue quilts you started?

PAT in VA/USA

the black rose wrote:

Current project is a red and gold mystery quilt for one of my sons. 117
5" blocks, yoy! The rows are done, gotta sew them together, and then it
just needs the borders.

Still collecting fabric for the Really Green Quilt for my godson.
Still collecting fabric for the black and white quilt.
Toying with the idea of gathering fabric for Jinny Beyer's Mayfloers (I
bought the pattern earlier this year).

Old September 21st 05, 05:36 PM
CNY/VAstitcher

Thought i would jump in here....

Working on:
*trying to get a wallhanging designed
*have to get cutting on costume stuff
*finishing up school clothes for DS
*cleaning house up
*moving boxes from garage into house so that floor can be poured early
next week
*getting clothes ironed so that they are ready for DH to wear to work
*keeping up with laundry of a family of 4
*helping DS work through his AWANA book
*teaching DH, DS, and myself how to better manage DSs
outbursts...teaching DS self-monitoring behaviors
*collecting more sewing-themed fabrics for MY quilt (which will NOT
leave my sewing room for the use of others)
*going slowly insane :-)

Larisa, who knows they aren't all quilt related, but at least 1 or 2 are
Old September 21st 05, 06:27 PM
frood

Ok, I just measured, and I cut them 5" x 4", then added a 1.5" (cut size) to
the 4" side, to make it come out to about 4.5" finished blocks. I used the
same orange in mine, then rows of different novelty fabrics.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

"maryd" wrote in message
I would appreciate the measurements. I gathered a bunch of my fall fabrics
to take to California with me.

--
Mary

"frood" wrote in message
om...
: That one was really easy, and I used the design based on one someone who
: used to post here used - SunnyQuilts- she used to live near me, and
showed
: me a floral one she had done. It worked out great, as I could cut the
10"
: swap squares into 4 pieces for the larger rectangle. I'm not sure they
were
: 6", tho. I could get it out and measure them for you. It's about that
time!
:
: --
: Wendy
: http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/quilt1.htm
: un-STUFF email address to reply
:
:
:
:
: "maryd" wrote in message
: ...
: I like both but I really like the streak of lightening.
:
: --
: Mary
: http://community.webshots.com/user/mardor1948
:
:
:
:

Old September 21st 05, 06:30 PM
frood

I took a yardstick, and laid it on the quilt, drew lines with a chalk
pencil, like * . Then, I just free-motion quilted in a loopy fashion,
spiraling out. It was easy, and fast and fun!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

"C & S" wrote in message
That's a really sweet quilt. Cute helpers! I peeked at some of your
other
quilts, very nice. How did you do the spider webs? Thanks for sharing.

Carole
Champlain, NY

"frood" wrote in message
om...
One of my Halloween throw quilts is a trip around the world, in 4"

squares.
The other is a rail fence varaiation - instead of 3 rails, it's a

rectangle
of novelty fabric and a rail of orange, to make a square block, 6". I set

it
in Streak O Lightning.

They are both near the bottom of this page:
http://griffinsflight.com/Quilting/BedandLapQuilts.htm

Have fun thinking one up!

--
Wendy

Old September 21st 05, 07:07 PM
Teacher Gal

Wow, Patti (and Roberta)! You've sure given me a lot of things to think
about!

1st: I think I'm going to try a smaller, more simple design before I
tackle the big one. I'll practice the techniques on the small one first. I
had planned on doing raw edge fusible applique, with a very narrow satin
stitch in black to sort of "stained glass" it without using bias tape.
There's some Celtic knotwork on the dress panel, though, that will probably
get the bias tape treatment. You all are starting to make me think I can
actually handle this!

2nd: Thanks for the compliment. As for where the finished piece will go,
it's going to be a graduation present for a "kid" of mine (former
student....now in college). I'm giving myself almost four years, to make
sure it gets done.

3rd: I thought of raising the chair, but the pedal would have to be raised,
too. I'll poke around and see what we've got that might work for this.
I'll have to give up my ergonomic rolling secretary's chair, though. Oh
well.

And to frood, Louise, Carole, and Roberta: thanks for the pleasant remarks
on mom's quilt. She's a freak for anything red, so she's in love with the
thing.

Anastasia

Who's rapidly finding the gang here is a BIG help!

Old September 21st 05, 07:17 PM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"frood" wrote:

snip
So, what are you working on/thinking of working on/dreaming about?

Ah, Wendy, I love it when someone starts this thread from time to time!
It's wonderful to see what everyone is planning/doing -- gives us all
inspiration and ideas.

As for me, I still have one project from this year's camp to finish --
Cynthia England's picture piecing technique that will turn into a
picture of a Featherweight. It's driving me crazy, so I've put it aside
temporarily.

I'm also still making quilted diamonds -- hand pieced, too!

Tomorrow I'll be starting a braided quilt, a pattern being taught at my
local quilt circle's meeting. I have the strips all cut, but it will be
a smallish quilt, as I don't feel like making a big one right now. It
may go live with my step-sister's son, the one who had to swim out of
New Orleans a few weeks ago.

*And* -- ta-daaa! -- my friend has finally been able to put my Out of
Darkness top onto her long-arm machine! Yay! She's had the top for
*ages* and feels guilty about it, but she's been swamped with house
guests and various other things. Since I'd told her I was in no hurry,
I'm not upset. She's so sweet that I haven't really minded waiting.
Right now she's out of town at a funeral, so I think it will be the end
of the month, at least before I see the quilt again

So that's what's on my plate at the moment!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old September 21st 05, 08:47 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
Jumping onto another Sandy's post:

Working on
a bag of M&M's (well, okay, 2 bags, one plain, one peanut),
a bowl of Hot Tamales, bottle of Dr.Pepper and the requisite sunflower
seeds, one cup of black beans&rice, some leftover chicken&broccoli,
some wonderfully delicious (and cold!) Pecos cantaloupe mixed w/ fresh
pineapple and sliced strawberries. No, I don't mix this all together,
not even on the same day, but a girl can dream about sugar, right?

Meanwhile, upstream, Jim and the giant anaconda-- no, wait,
that's the other Wild Kingdom.
Really working on getting s-i-l w/ her mending ankle back into her place.
Otherwise I'll be working on finding a ride to the mental health clinic.
No way I can survive having a resident here who not only doesn't quilt or
sew, she has no interest in hearing about it, learning, watching, or even
reading anything on the subject(s).
Thank goodness for the little doors that close off part of the dining
room, where 2 donation quilts are under construction; this is fun! The
rest of it is temporary. Right? RIGHT?!!!? Please!!!!!!
;-D

Ragmop/Sandy--glad I raised my boys the right way;
they love Mom's quilts

Old September 21st 05, 08:49 PM
the black rose

Pat in Virginia wrote:
Rose,
What are your fabric requirements for the green quilt?
Did you finish the run of blue quilts you started?

PAT in VA/USA

No, I didn't finish the run of blue quilts. I'd had my fill of blue!
I'll get back to them at some point, though.

The green quilt -- last time someone asked what fabrics people were
looking for, I did post about it. Lime green and shades of green that
go with lime green, basically. I was looking for fat quarters at the
time, but I thought about it and realized that just about anything over
a 5" square will work. The idea right now is a medallion with lizards
and turtles and frogs appliqued on it, in the middle of what would look
like a pyramid quilt. It's for my godson, who is 8 years old and in
love with GREEN (he's the little scamp that decided to go out the window
stark naked one morning, remember that?).

--

the black rose
Research Associate in the Field of Child Development and Human

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )
Old September 21st 05, 08:50 PM
the black rose

NightMist wrote:

I am making slime.

"I've been slimed!"

:-D

Old September 21st 05, 09:12 PM
Diana Curtis

You just ship that odd woman up here, Ill take her on for a while. Here
we have not only quilts for her to be disinterested in, but also many
other forms of arts and crafts! She can be apathetic in so many
different ways here. And, then too, there is winter coming on. Her ankle
will miraculously heal so she can walk back to Tx.
You *will* survive, surrender is not an option!
Diana