Threads - Again

Old September 6th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Default Threads - Again

I have to admit.... I'm seriously addicted to threads and love, love,
love experimenting with them. I always read every single post on the
subject - to see what's "out there" I may have missed. My favorite
projects are machine applique, and threads can make or break the piece.
While I adore the look of metallic threads, I've not had much luck with
them and am usually ready to jump out the window when using them. I'm
happy to report that tonight, while killing some time, I had a
wonderfully successful experience using "glitter" thread by Superior
(nayy). The moons and planets must have been perfectly aligned, my
biorythms and chakras in perfect working order and the luck o' the irish
was sitting in my lap. Not only did the thread not break, not tangle,
not "bird nest", I was sewing a "moon" on a piece of fabric for a
Halloween project, so the entire piece was a curve!!! Normally, I would
have got the "vapors" at the mere thought!! And the look..... is just
fabulous! Anyone else tried the "Glitter" line? I'm thinking I must get
one in every color now!!

Patti in Seattle

Old September 6th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther

No, Patti. No experience here with the newer metallics. Good, good for
you. Where did you find a good source for Superior? Polly

Old September 6th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Sewthankful.com has tons of Superior Threads as does redrockthreads.com
- red rock has free shipping, but they don't carry the "King Tut" line
which I'm SO fond of. Sew thankful doesn't charge much for shipping, and
I've always had wonderful service from them.

Patti in Seattle

Threads - Again

Old September 6th 06, 08:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Estelle Gallagher

Here here for sewthankful!
--
Estelle UK
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gal.../ph//my_photos

Old September 6th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna973

I generally don't have terrible luck using metallics, but every once in a
while....
Thanks for the heads up on the Glitter, Patti. I may just have to go and
give it a look see. I like Superior threads in general; they seem to behave
as expected most of the time.g
--
Donna
http://community.webshots.com/user/donna9736

Old September 6th 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

I have used the Glitter threads with success, too. They don't seem to need
any special coddling. A great addition to the specialty thread drawer.
KJ

. ..

Old September 6th 06, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Hi Donna!
Ya know, the more I use Superior threads, the more I like them. I think
my next experiment will be the "Razzle Dazzle" line by Ricky Tims. Made
specicially for bobbin work..... I've never "gone there" but it sounds
like fun!

Patti in Seattle

Old September 6th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna973

I came ever so close to ordering a spool of the Razzle Dazzle earlier this
week.g I was getting some things from SewThankful and was very tempted.
However, my shopping cart was pretty full by then, so I resisted.g I
did, however, order a few more spools of Superior's Bottom Line. I find
that I'm using it more and more. It's a fine polyester thread made for
bobbins, I think, because it "plays nicely" with all sorts of decorative
upper threads. I find that it's also great through the needle for invisible
applique and other places where you'd like the thread to take a minor role.
I've used it in a couple of small "art" pieces to do the quilting, where I'd
normally use monofilament. It's virtually invisible if you use a close
color or value. I would suggest it as a substitute thread for those people
(or machines!) who don't like to use invisible monofilament. It's softer
and easier to deal with. Oh, I just looked at a spool and it is shown as a
Bobbin & Applique thread. Anyway, good stuff and there's a LOT of thread on
the spool.

Patti, make sure to report in on the "Razzle Dazzle" when you get to it....I
love to read about the products that other quilters actually use and how
they work!

Old September 11th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nancy

I just took a class from Libby Lehman herself, and I tell you what she
recommended with the Razzle Dazzle or any type of bobbin work, was to change
the way you put the bobbin in your case. I have a Bernina, and instead of
having the thread come off in a clockwise direction, and then doubleback
though the opening, you put it in counter clockwise, and it doesnt' have to
make that "U" turn. This puts much less stress on the bobbin thread. Of
course you must adjust your bobbin tension as well, which is why it is good
to have a second bobbin, so you can keep your original setting for your
regular threads. Several folks in the class had machines that did not allow
them to adjust their bobbin tension at all, and could not do the technique.
Libby was full of wonderful tips and techniques. And a wonderfully,
energetic and highly entertaining woman as well. I highly recommend taking
a class from her if you ever get the chance. BTW, her book "Threadplay" has
been reprinted. I don't recall who was publishing it now, but it was not
That Patchwork Place this time around, as she pointed out to us that their
logo is no longer on the cover.
Nancy
. ..

Old September 11th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti S

Thank you for the tips! I've seen the book "Threadplay" and now I'm
thinking I should get it. I just love playing with different threads,
but have yet to venture into the "bobbin" arena. I may have to have some
midnight "retail therapy" online tonight and see what I can find. And
how fortunate you are to have taken a class from Libby Lehman! Would
LOVE to take one from her!

Patti in Seattle