FO: Cheryl Oberle's Domovoi shawl

Old April 13th 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

Default FO: Cheryl Oberle's Domovoi shawl

On Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:15:53 +0000 (UTC), (Stef) wrote:

[delurk]
That's really beautiful! I just knit a Moebius scarf in Mountain Goat.
It's wonderfully soft yarn.

Thanks! I like the yarn too - but at this gauge it sheds mohair like
it's going out of style. There were also a lot of knots (both the
mill type joining strands within the plied yarn AND the overhand "oops
the yarn broke" varieties) that didn't make me happy, but fortunately
my Russian splicing skills are sharp.

I guess you like _Folk Shawls_ a lot. I'm trying to decide whether to
buy it, but I haven't been able to look at it in my LYS yet and haven't
seen enough project photos to know whether I want it.

Yes, it's a good book. I've knitted one of the shawls twice and will
probably make it again (and again, and again). There are a couple I
may never make as written but for the most part they're all quite
knittable and none are terribly complicated. _Folk Shawls_ is one of
my "stranded on a desert island with five books" books, I think
Old April 13th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Does anyone know how Folk Shawls stacks up against Martha Waterman's
Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls? I've been tempted by both but haven't
seen physical copies of either (I'll have to order online if I want
them).

VP

Old April 13th 07, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"Vintage Purls" wrote in message
ps.com...
Does anyone know how Folk Shawls stacks up against Martha Waterman's
Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls? I've been tempted by both but haven't
seen physical copies of either (I'll have to order online if I want
them).

VP

I have both books. IMO, the Folk Shawls instructions look easier to
understand.... and for a klutz like me, that means a lot. However, I'm not
discounting the Waterman book. That was a Christmas gift too. Soooo many
WIM's, too much yarn, and not enough time in this lifetime (laugh).

The Waterman book has photos of tons of different lace designs, but it looks
to me like you have to do a bunch of your own calculations to turn them into
a shawl.... (shudder). Hey, I'm not trying to turn you off the book - I'm
just saying how I see it.

I'm glad I have both books, but for me, if it was a choice, I'd buy the Folk
Shawls first, then the Waterman book. HTH.

Shelagh

Old April 13th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
WoolyGooly

On 12 Apr 2007 16:43:41 -0700, "Vintage Purls"
wrote:

Does anyone know how Folk Shawls stacks up against Martha Waterman's
Traditional Knitted Lace Shawls? I've been tempted by both but haven't
seen physical copies of either (I'll have to order online if I want
them).

VP

I'd have to vote with Shillegh (never do spell that right, dammit!) on
this one. The Oberle book is just shawl patterns - and well-written
ones at that. Waterman is about 60% lace stitches, some "how to build
a shawl" chat, a bit of "how to wear a shawl properly" (which I figure
ought to be fairly intuitive but what do I know) and maybe half a
dozen patterns in the back.

Having said that I'm now considering some of the shawl patterns in the
bakc of Waterman...
Old April 13th 07, 03:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

Well there seems to be a consesus and Folk Shawls is a whole $2
cheaper - looks like it's the winner. Now books don't count as stash
do they? I've made some rather rash promises about reducing my stash
recently...

VP

Old April 13th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"WoolyGooly" wrote in message
news

I'd have to vote with Shillegh (never do spell that right, dammit!) on
this one.

Heh, heh - you're close. ;D S-H-E-L-A-G-H

Old April 13th 07, 03:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
hesira

That is beautiful, Wooly. Neat helix!

Hesira

On Apr 11, 9:29 pm, WoolyGooly wrote:
Pattern from _Folk Shawls_, a book I'm pretty sure I'll knit my way
through over the course of the next 10 years

I made the shorter version (just a matter of knitting fewer repeats)
and ended up with something pushing 7' (yes, seven feet) in length.
This is half of it as seen thrown over my drying line for a photo op.
I need to block it a bit to get the points on the edging to lie
nicely. I'll weave in the ends after I do the blocking.

No, your eyes don't deceive you: the yarn pooled in a very interesting
helix pattern. I don't know if it did that on the other half of the
shawl as I have't looked

Yarn: Mountain Colors Mountain Goat in Ladyslipper, nearly 4 hanks
total
Needle: 6mm rosewood circular, plus a DPN to work the edging
Gauge: 4spi in garter stitch

1.7mb pic

http://www.fysh.org/~slinky/pix/domovoi.jpg

Old April 13th 07, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
The Other Kim

Default Cheryl Oberle's Domovoi shawl

Wooly wrote:

[...]

Very nice! And I love the helical pattern the yarn made. Lovely work,
as usual :-)

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

for Cheryl in Oz Sharon Gates Quilting 0 May 29th 06 09:32 PM
OMG CHERYL!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dr. Sooz Beads 7 March 3rd 04 05:52 PM
Cheryl starlia Beads 1 September 13th 03 01:06 AM
Thanks Cheryl! Cristilyn Schoenborn Needlework 0 July 31st 03 01:45 AM