blocking/washing?

Old April 3rd 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
YarnWright

Default blocking/washing?

myswendy spun a FINE 'yarn':

Hi all!
I just finished my very first doll clothes project--a beaded white
sweater with buttons down the back.I have blocked it and sewn the
seams up. My question is this: It needs both a final blocking as well
as a washing in Woolite (I presume). Which do I do first? Does the
washing essentially replace the need for final blocking?
Thanks!
Wendy

end quoted

Never, EVER ever use Woollite on real wool, OMG!
Noreen

--
http://www.lulu.com/yarnwright
http://yarnwright.etsy.com

Old April 3rd 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
enigma

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
t:

I only use pure soap for washing woolens. We can still buy
soap flakes in UK but for small items such as this I'd use
a bar of toilet soap (the sort we use for our hands).
What's the point of buying something special?

ooh! pure soap. an easy way to make flakes from a bar is to
toss the bar, on a really big plate, into the microwave for a
minute or so... use a really big plate. as big as will fit.
and make sure the bar of soap is in the middle.
it's fun, if a tad messy & the results make lovely soap
flakes.
i'm having a hard time keeping the soap in bars since i
showed my 6 year old this, but i'll never run out of flakes.

lee
Old April 3rd 07, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cece

On 3 abr, 17:15, enigma wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote . net:

I only use pure soap for washing woolens. We can still buy
soap flakes in UK but for small items such as this I'd use
a bar of toilet soap (the sort we use for our hands).
What's the point of buying something special?

ooh! pure soap. an easy way to make flakes from a bar is to
toss the bar, on a really big plate, into the microwave for a
minute or so... use a really big plate. as big as will fit.
and make sure the bar of soap is in the middle.
it's fun, if a tad messy & the results make lovely soap
flakes.
i'm having a hard time keeping the soap in bars since i
showed my 6 year old this, but i'll never run out of flakes.

lee

Isn't Ivory Snow soap flakes?

Dishwashing detergent is good for washing wool. Just a couple drops
in the lukewarm water. Dawn is the one most often used to clean
creatures that were in the way of an oil spill. (That's
dishwash_ing_, not dishwash_er_. The liquid for washing dishes by
hand, not the powder for washing dishes in the machine.)

Zimmerman mentions salad spinners, or even a pillowcase.

Cece

Old April 4th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Apr 3, 6:24 pm, "Cece" wrote:
On 3 abr, 17:15, enigma wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote . net:

[...]

Cece- Hide quoted text -

WOW! All this great info! THANK YOU SO MUCH EVERYONE! I don't know how
to reply to the entire group so am thanking everyone here in this
particular letter. And no, I have not yet washed it, so it's just as
well. ---been too busy showing it off to friends! LOL! Ok, I have
Dawn. So a drop of Dawn it is, then let sit, roll gently in a towel
and/or put in my lettuce spinner.... I'll have to post a picture of it
after all this!
Wendy

Old April 4th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
fiberlicious

On Apr 3, 2:48 pm, wrote:
These days I am trying a salad spinner for removing excess water from
mittens & socks after washing instead of rolling in a towel prior to
blocking. Jury is not in yet.

I turn the water off at my washing machine and use the spin cycle -
easy peasy!

Old April 4th 07, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
suzee

myswendy wrote:
On Apr 3, 6:24 pm, "Cece" wrote:
On 3 abr, 17:15, enigma wrote:

"Mary Fisher" wrote . net:
[...]

You just did. This works differently than mailing lists or forums.

And no, I have not yet washed it, so it's just as
well. ---been too busy showing it off to friends! LOL! Ok, I have
Dawn. So a drop of Dawn it is, then let sit, roll gently in a towel
and/or put in my lettuce spinner.... I'll have to post a picture of it
after all this!
Wendy

I have a question about using Dawn or other degreasing detergents....
Doesn't it break down the oils and/or lanolin in wool? That can't be
good if it does.

sue
Old April 4th 07, 08:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Mary WOOL is HAIR , are you washing your hair with Soap ????
mirjam

wrote:

"enigma" wrote in message
. ..
"myswendy" wrote in
oups.com:

Ok, so wash it in cold water with a drop of Woolite and lay
flat to dry?

i would *not* use Woolite. it's very harsh (they changed the
formula in the late 80s). i'd use Eucalan if i had any
(usually don't) or regular hair shampoo, with a drop of creme
rinse in the rinse water. wool is hair after all
lee

I only use pure soap for washing woolens. We can still buy soap flakes in UK
but for small items such as this I'd use a bar of toilet soap (the sort we
use for our hands). What's the point of buying something special?

I can't bear the feel of any detergent other than soap on my hands, my
fingernails feel - well, it's indescribably how they feel but it's awful.

Mary

Old April 4th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Vintage Purls

On Apr 5, 2:35 am, suzee wrote:
I have a question about using Dawn or other degreasing detergents....
Doesn't it break down the oils and/or lanolin in wool? That can't be
good if it does.

I use dishwashing liquid on greasy fleece when I want to remove a lot
of the lanolin. I don't use it on knitted garments (I use a specific
wool wash).

VP

Old April 5th 07, 12:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Ok guys, I'm a little bit confused now!

I just went to doublecheck--the yarn I used for the sweater is Patons
Beehive Baby and is 100% acrylic. So washing in Dawn, rolling in a
towel, and laying flat to dry is correct for this tiny garment?

Wendy

Blocking Question hesira Yarn 6 April 21st 06 03:40 AM
Blocking Wooly Yarn 9 January 23rd 06 09:04 PM
blocking a quilt Dr.Quilter Quilting 0 July 12th 04 03:57 PM
Blocking Laura Yarn 7 April 3rd 04 09:40 PM
blocking SlinkyToy Yarn 3 September 9th 03 03:42 PM