Labels on handknit item to sell

Old April 13th 07, 02:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
jheller

Default Labels on handknit item to sell

Hi all,
Hope you are all well.
If any of you sell hand knitted,crocheted, fiber crafts, what type of
content and care label do you have? ( for my use only)
I was reading a "Sell Your Crafts" book and there are Federal Trade Laws
about labels on fiber content and care.
I did have a few things that I had a business card size tag attached
with my name and email.
Should I print some with content and care and attach to each item?
If I had fabric labels stitched in small items it would be to big, ...
newborn baby hats, booties.!!!
I want to get my tax ID number to be able to do bigger craft shows and
maybe get in a craft co opt. Should I ask the tax people about the labels?
Just want to get things in order to be legal.
Any advice?
Thanks,
Jenny
Old April 13th 07, 02:41 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

On Apr 12, 9:01 pm, jheller wrote:
[...]

Hi Jenny,
You don't need a tax person to get you the tax ID number-- I applied
for mine online here in my state of CT and you probably can where you
live, too. Go to the state website for starters. Also, I wouldn't
worry too much about the tags unless you plan to ship out of state.
The feds couldn't care less about us little fish at local fairs.

Wendy

Old April 13th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Shillelagh

"myswendy" wrote in message
oups.com...

Hi Jenny,
You don't need a tax person to get you the tax ID number-- I applied
for mine online here in my state of CT and you probably can where you
live, too. Go to the state website for starters. Also, I wouldn't
worry too much about the tags unless you plan to ship out of state.
The feds couldn't care less about us little fish at local fairs.

Wendy

Here's another thought. I care about fibre content because I want to know
what the item is made of. If I know it's 100% superwash wool as opposed to
100% wool, I would wash them differently. If they are superwash wool
socks, I know I can put them in the washing machine. Anyway, you get the
idea. ;) Just trying to help.

Shelagh

Old April 13th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
JCT

I don't sell any of my knit things but I do donate them to auctions.
I usually include the brand and type of yarn and the washing
instructions from the yarn bands on the donation paperwork. Sometimes
I give the auction sponsor small balls of the leftover yarn with a
yarn band attached. It is then up to them how they communicate that
to the buyer. Generally I find they put the information on the bid
sheet. I agree that it is useful information - especially since
usually my donations are of baby items that I am sure WILL be washed.

Old April 14th 07, 12:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
myswendy

Here's another thought. I care about fibre content because I want to know
what the item is made of. If I know it's 100% superwash wool as opposed to
100% wool, I would wash them differently. If they are superwash wool
socks, I know I can put them in the washing machine. Anyway, you get the
idea. ;) Just trying to help.

Shelagh

Good point, Shelagh! I didn't think about that part. Hmmm... I'm
planning to sell some pieces for the first time this year myself. I
will probably write the fiber content on the back of my business card,
which I attach with ribbon as a price "sticker".

Wendy

Old April 14th 07, 01:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
sewnsew43

[...]

Here are care labels that you can sew into your garments
http://www.carelabel.com/
judyh