Block of the month

Old November 1st 03, 12:51 AM
teleflora

Default Block of the month

I was at JoAnn's today and they have 2 block of the month quilts. I didn't
care that much for either one of them, but it got me to wondering. I think
this would be a good learning tool for me as far as technique, color choices
and patterns go.

Are there any online places that anybody is familiar with that would offer
Block of the Month kits? I would prefer not to be able to buy them all at
once, but would like to buy a kit a month and have to finish that one before
getting the next one. I am slowly learning to discipline myself as far as
buying stuff and then not using it.

Cindy

Old November 1st 03, 02:12 AM
Shstringfellow

Are there any online places that anybody is familiar with that would offer
Block of the Month kits?

Hi, Cindy! There are a lot of online quilt shops that offer BOM kits-
Everything Quilts is one that comes to mind, but there are a lot more. They
send you the pattern and fabric only for the block or blocks for that month.
It's really fun!

SueS
Old November 1st 03, 05:16 AM
nzl*

i've heard tell of some shops who will sell you the first block
fabric/pattern etc for $5. you sew it up, return the next month with the
block, stay and listen to some schpiel (sp?) at the shop and they will give
you the next months fab/pattern for free.
if you miss a month, you start at $5 again.
so they hope ya keep coming back, learning with each block and buying more
fabrics and stuff there eventually i suppose. for a dedicated beginner it
sounds like a perfect arrangement. you learn, get all the yrs blocks for a
total of the initial $5 and get lots of ideas/tips/meet new ppl who are
probably also beginners to play with.
you could start a wee group meeting in each others homes at mid month for a
tea/cakes, show/tell and discussions on quilting.
i guess you'd have to do some checking around your area to find a shop like
that.
theres also everything you could ever ask for free online about quilting,
including free BOM patterns of every style
and you got all of us here to bounce ideas off.
we looooooooove puttin in our twenty three cents, lol.
jeanne

"teleflora" wrote...

Old November 1st 03, 01:37 PM
Helen in MN

Ditto the above reply.
IT is a great way to do some different blocks and you are not out much at
the end if you don't like it. It's a fun way to meet people as well.
Helen in MN

Old November 1st 03, 08:49 PM
nzl*

http://www.strawberry-patches.com/specialevents.html

this page splains a lot better than i did, sorry bout that.
if we had that going here for only $5 i'd be doing it.
its my scottish blood, i just loooooooove freebies, lol.
hth, nayy
jeanne

| "nzl*"wrote...
| i've heard tell of some shops who will sell you the first block
| fabric/pattern etc for $5. you sew it up, return the next month with the
| block, stay and listen to some schpiel (sp?) at the shop and they will
| give
| you the next months fab/pattern for free.
| if you miss a month, you start at $5 again.
| so they hope ya keep coming back, learning with each block and buying
more
| fabrics and stuff there eventually i suppose. for a dedicated beginner
it
| sounds like a perfect arrangement. you learn, get all the yrs blocks for
| total of the initial $5 and get lots of ideas/tips/meet new ppl who are
| probably also beginners to play with.
| you could start a wee group meeting in each others homes at mid month
for
| tea/cakes, show/tell and discussions on quilting.
| i guess you'd have to do some checking around your area to find a shop
| like
| that.
| theres also everything you could ever ask for free online about
quilting,
| including free BOM patterns of every style
| and you got all of us here to bounce ideas off.
| we looooooooove puttin in our twenty three cents, lol.
| jeanne
|

| "teleflora" wrote...
| | I was at JoAnn's today and they have 2 block of the month quilts. I
| didn't
| | care that much for either one of them, but it got me to wondering. I
| think
| | this would be a good learning tool for me as far as technique, color
| choices
| | and patterns go.
| |
| | Are there any online places that anybody is familiar with that would
| offer
| | Block of the Month kits? I would prefer not to be able to buy them
all
| at
| | once, but would like to buy a kit a month and have to finish that one
| before
| | getting the next one. I am slowly learning to discipline myself as
far
| as
| | buying stuff and then not using it.
| |
| | Cindy
| |
| |

Old November 1st 03, 09:50 PM
Ruth in Happy Camp

Wal-Mart used to--maybe still does.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Hurricane Charley Fred Needlework 270 September 5th 04 07:24 PM
New Block Of The Month Design Renmark Craft Corner Marketplace 0 February 7th 04 05:02 AM
New Block Of The Month Renmark Craft Corner Marketplace 0 February 7th 04 05:01 AM
Cowboy Man of the Month? (not OT) Dragonfly Quilting 5 October 31st 03 04:23 PM
Christmas block of the month Barbara Bowen Quilting 0 July 17th 03 04:18 PM