Victoria Day

Old May 22nd 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Victoria Day

Our excessively monarchist priest was telling me how we would mark Victoria
Day by singing God Save the Queen at the end of the service. He lamented
that most people don't know the holiday as Victoria Day anymore. I told
him that we prairie folk use it to commemorate an early settler, a Chinese
woman immigrant, whose customs we often didn't understand. He walked right
into it, and asked who that was. I answered, "May Long. That why we
exchange the traditional commemoration, "Watcha doin' May Long?"
Dawne, thinking May deserves a statue somewhere

Old May 23rd 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dawne Peterson wrote:
I answered, "May Long. That why we
exchange the traditional commemoration, "Watcha doin' May Long?"
Dawne, thinking May deserves a statue somewhere

All right, is this some Canuck thing? I don't get it.....

Joan scratching head

Old May 23rd 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Joan E. wrote:
Dawne Peterson wrote:

I answered, "May Long. That why we
exchange the traditional commemoration, "Watcha doin' May Long?"
Dawne, thinking May deserves a statue somewhere

All right, is this some Canuck thing? I don't get it.....

Joan scratching head

Thanks, Joan. I didn't want to be the first to admit it.

--
Brenda
Tickler of Chuzzles
Old May 23rd 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Brenda Lewis" wrote in message
.. .
Joan E. wrote:
Dawne Peterson wrote:

I answered, "May Long. That why we
exchange the traditional commemoration, "Watcha doin' May Long?"
Dawne, thinking May deserves a statue somewhere

All right, is this some Canuck thing? I don't get it.....

Joan scratching head

Thanks, Joan. I didn't want to be the first to admit it.

--
Brenda
Tickler of Chuzzles

You`re not alone - I thought she`d flipped but was too polite to say so.
You know me!!! ;-D

Pat P

Old May 23rd 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Joan E. wrote:

Dawne Peterson wrote:

I answered, "May Long. That why we
exchange the traditional commemoration, "Watcha doin' May Long?"
Dawne, thinking May deserves a statue somewhere

All right, is this some Canuck thing? I don't get it.....

Joan scratching head

Thanks, Joan. I didn't want to be the first to admit it.

--
Brenda
Tickler of Chuzzles

You`re not alone - I thought she`d flipped but was too polite to say so.
You know me!!! ;-D

Pat P

Well, add me to the list.

Gill

Old May 23rd 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Joan E." wrote in message
ups.com...

Dawne Peterson wrote:
I answered, "May Long. That why we
exchange the traditional commemoration, "Watcha doin' May Long?"
Dawne, thinking May deserves a statue somewhere

All right, is this some Canuck thing? I don't get it.....

Joan scratching head

Glad to know there are others ...

Felice

Old May 23rd 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default Victoria Day (May Long!)

"Felice Friese" wrote in message
news

"Joan E." wrote in message
ups.com...

Dawne Peterson wrote:
I answered, "May Long. That why we
exchange the traditional commemoration, "Watcha doin' May Long?"
Dawne, thinking May deserves a statue somewhere

All right, is this some Canuck thing? I don't get it.....

Joan scratching head

Glad to know there are others ...

Felice

Answering herself, she reports:

Found this on a campsite website when I googled May Long: "Campsites still
available at Valens for May Long Weekend". OK, now I get it. Cute.

Felice:

Old May 23rd 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Felice Friese wrote:
"Joan E." wrote in message
ups.com...

Dawne Peterson wrote:

I answered, "May Long. That why we
exchange the traditional commemoration, "Watcha doin' May Long?"
Dawne, thinking May deserves a statue somewhere

All right, is this some Canuck thing? I don't get it.....

Joan scratching head

Glad to know there are others ...

Felice

I read it in the middle of the night and decided it might make more
sense 12 hours later when I was properly awake.

--
Karen C - California

Finished 4/8/06 - needlepoint calendar canvas for June
WIP: Getting all the UFOs done, July birthstone, Flowers of
Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
Retrieved from UFO pile: Marbek's Snow Angel
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old May 23rd 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Sorry to befuddle everyone--but no one out here calls the weekend "Victoria
Day Weekend". It is referred to by everyone as "May Long". Not "the May
long weekend", just "May Long."
Thus one asks one's buds, "watcha doin' May Long??".
Guess you have to be wearing a bunnyhug to get it.
Dawne