OT----- Who has time to stitch?

Old December 16th 05, 08:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default OT----- Who has time to stitch?

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:07:57 -0800, Karen C - California
wrote:

Ann wrote:

Dear Psychic (or Psycho) Stitcher,

I'm thinking of a question. If you figure out what it is, please reply.
Off-list is fine.

Ann

Animal, vegetable or mineral? Or is even that asking for too much
information to intuit the purpose of your question?

Solid, liquid, gaseous? Glasseous? (They've found that glass is
neither liquid nor solid.)
Old December 16th 05, 08:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 20:32:22 GMT, Brenda Lewis
wrote:

Not at all tiresome. If there truly is a need for that, it only needs
to be typed once and saved as a plain text file which can be copied and
pasted into a new post every month. In some ways it is much better if
the questions and answers start anew each time because, as we all know,
the best answer can vary depending upon the unique circumstances of the
one asking. One product might be recommended for people who live in
Europe but that same item might cost a small fortune or be unavailable
elsewhere in the world. URLs for conversion charts, designers, stores,
etc. change frequently and new ones are always popping up.

What might be handy is a "welcome" post that could be sent once a month
to let newcomers know not to be shy about asking needlework questions or
starting needlework threads. Just because there is a lot of off-topic
chatter does not mean on-topic items are banned! :-)

That's a great idea! My vote is that you do it and post each month,
all posted with impeccable grammar and spelling etc etc - I'm
serious!

I think you might be hasty in assuming their questions weren't asked.
Someone new to the group might have rctn configured incorrectly or have
some odd firewall issues on their computer and they will think they sent
the question but it never went through. There are also those mysterious
posts that get trapped somewhere in the ether. A sender could also be
erroneously sending to a group member's munged e-mail address instead of
to the group. With the way some addresses are munged, the sender would
never know about the mistake since they might not get a bounce message.
It is also possible some people think newsgroups are like instant
message programs and expect an immediate reply. If someone sends a
question directly to you saying no one on the group would answer their
question and you are rather certain the question was never posted, there
is nothing wrong with posting the question for them to make certain it
does go through. Then send them a kind note to let them know.

Karen C - California wrote:
As Ann and I have been discussing just this morning, people flounce off
in a huff, complaining their needlework questions aren't answered, but
they haven't asked. Apparently, they assume that RCTN is some sort of
ongoing tutorial where we repeat all our previous advice on continuous
loop, once a week, just in case someone new has wandered in needing that
answer. That would get tiresome for those of us who need to type it up
repeatedly, and for those of us who would be reading the same tips week
after week for years.

Old December 16th 05, 08:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Brenda Lewis wrote:
[...]

We used to have a member of the group, who always had the url for any
stitching info that was needed. IIRC it was Nan Evelyn! Then of course
Kathy Dyer routinely posted the information for her websites, which were
( maybe still are) real founts of information. We still chatted about OT
things, though. Remember the Limericks?

Gillian, in reminisce mode!
Old December 16th 05, 08:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

lewmew wrote:
Ann wrote:
Dear Psychic (or Psycho) Stitcher,

I'm thinking of a question. If you figure out what it is, please reply.

Off-list is fine.

The answer is: Dental floss!

No, no. The answer is 42!

--
Brenda
Bilge Queen of Puzzle Pirates
Old December 16th 05, 09:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Gill Murray wrote:

Brenda Lewis wrote:

[...]

I remember those days fondly. That's why I brought it up again. Not
sure I want to write such a beast myself, but could probably keep the
file (and maybe a small webpage) if someone else wants to do the initial
writing.

Old December 16th 05, 09:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default What we're stitching.. was OT----- Who has time to stitch?

"Chris Howard" wrote

In the interest of spurring some discussions about needlework- what are
you folks working on right now? I'm trying to finish up Bent Creek's
Winter Row to put on my new "old" double mantle

I am not stitching anything, which makes me cranky. But, I did buy some
lovely soft yellow evenweave for Jeannette Douglas's Prairie West Sampler,
which I thought would make a good piece for Saskatchewan's centennial. .
http://www.jeannettedouglas.com/imag...rie%20west.jpg I like the
cheerfulness of the yellow rather than the beige, and it was interesting to
see what colours each brought out in the specialty threads when we tried
them out at the LNS. The yellow brought out the oranges and other warm
shades, the beigey colour actually made some lavendery shades appear. Both
were nice, but I have never been happy with beige. I can hardly wait to
stitch the row of gophers on this one.
I also have bought the Pearl Cotton needed for Hillside Sampling's A Stitch
in Pine, whch I was lucky enough to find in our unwanted stash exchange .
http://www.hillsidesamplings.com/HS32.htm I changed colours a bit here
too, selecting more of a piney green for the trees rather than the olive
green the sampler calls for, and a very pale butter coloured Pearl Cotton.
So I hope in the New Year to have lots to do.
I still have to finish my favourite effort from last year, the 50s house
from one of the British cross stitch mags--all turquoise and pink and
yellow, with (best of all) several little maids running about doing all the
housework.
Dawne

Old December 16th 05, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:07:57 -0600, "Dawne Peterson"
wrote:

[...]

Really like the Prairie one - she does nice work.
Old December 16th 05, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Can I embroider it on my bath towel? And what color should I use?

Do you recommend waste cloth, or that wash away stuff?

DMC, or can I get away with the cheap stuff at the dollar store?
See, there were questions g

Ann, knitting on a Florida State scarf (Joe, forgive me)

--
http://sheepshots.blogspot.com

"Brenda Lewis"

No, no. The answer is 42!

Old December 16th 05, 09:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

[...]

I am looking forward to getting back to the Atlantic Seaboard
Sampler,(thanks Sheena, Sharon, Mavia and Ruby) now I have two working
eyes again! I am stuck on a rather boring little bit of sea, over 1,2
and 3, and was having trouble focussing. Then I can finish that part and
get on with the fun lobster traps etc.

Gillian
Old December 16th 05, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

It is probably safer if you don't embroider it on a bath towel. If you
leave a large enough hole to see through, the ravenous bugblatter beast
of Traal will get you! The color should seriously clash with the color
of the towel. The words "Don't Panic" should also be stitched.

As for waste cloth, it depends on whether it is a really loopy terry
towel or a smoother velour.

Pre-wash the cheap stuff so the color won't bleed unless it is red and
you WANT it to look like it is bleeding. VBEG

Ann wrote:
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner!

Can I embroider it on my bath towel? And what color should I use?

Do you recommend waste cloth, or that wash away stuff?

DMC, or can I get away with the cheap stuff at the dollar store?
See, there were questions g

Ann, knitting on a Florida State scarf (Joe, forgive me)

--
Brenda
Sass that hoopy Bilge Queen of Puzzle Pirates