Raglan from the neck down...

Old November 13th 03, 06:09 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Default Raglan from the neck down...

Dear Ng , a friend asked me to write for her my method of calculating a
raglan from the neck down ,, so i started to write for her [ i do it in
Slices ,,,, and sent it , than thought somebody here might enjoy or use it
as well ,,, so here is lesson 1
Raglan from the Neck down
------------------------
Make wool Gaugue ,
measure garment`s reciepient .
Chest, hips ,
Take the widest of the number , divive into 2 ,
Now you have back and front [ i do it because one might to make a v
opening etc,,,, ]
now calculate
X cm = back y stiches are =? cm
thus back [cm] = so many stiches
----------------
Divide Back [no] stiches into 3 ,
Shoulder/neck/shoulder
if you have 2 to much add to shoulders , 1 too much add to neck.
now maesure Arm at higest point under the arm pit ,
calculate this cm size into stiches size.
your raglan sleeve top is also made of
shoulder /neck /shoulder stiches,
Take Number of `Sleeve top` Stiches size and decrease the 2 shoulders
stiches number .
Now you know the back+front neck number of stiches [=1/3 of back number of
stiches] , and neck number stiches of sleeves [arm width stiches size - 2
shoulders stiches size,,,
For a round neck , cast on kneedles 1 back neck [stiches size] + 2 sleeves
stiches size] + front .
If you want a v neck opening , cast back stiches +sleeves. [v neck
stiches will be made while knitting grows .
-----------
example , my measurements showed me i need 60 stiches for back
Thus i will have 60 : 3 20/20/20
45 for sleeve ,,, 45 -2X20 =5
I will cast on 20 foe back neck , 20 for front neck , 5 x 2 for sleeves in
case of round neck , and 2o for back + 5 x 2 for sleeves in case of v
neck.
----------------------
I wil send this now please tell me if this is clear , and i wil type the
rest later ..
mirjam

Lesson 2,
sweater can be made with various Collars
in case you want a Turtle neck , you cast on the front/sleeve/back sleeve
stiches and start ribbing it .[.1/1 to 4/4 ] make your choice , in this
case knit half the wanted length with regular needles, change to 1 size
smaller knit 2 rounds ,change to 2 sizes [from regular] smaller, k 2
rounds , change back to 1 size smaller , k 2 rounds , change back to
regular size knit other 1/2 length .change to the needles 2 sizes smaller
and rib 4-5 rounds, change back regular size and knit further as crew neck
sweater.

crew neck sweater , cast on wanted number of stiches , close

Old November 13th 03, 06:34 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Mirjam,

What a clever lady you are. I'm printing it out just in case I decide to try a
circular needle some day.

Hugs,

Your twin,

Nora
Old November 13th 03, 08:28 PM
Angelicsong

Hi Mirjam,

Would you like me to put that on the rcty site? I'm still working on the
html and finding things for the pages but I think this would go well on a
'members patterns page'. If you don't want me to include it that's ok, I'll
understand. So don't be afraid to turn me down!

Loads of hugs,
Melody

Old November 13th 03, 10:26 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Thank you Melody ,, you can put it on the site only it Is not My
invention , only a description of my way to calculate it .... By the
way there are more `lessons` .....if you want to describe it as my
calculating ,method ..here are books that have the same method
described a vit different ,,,,
mirjam

Old November 14th 03, 12:58 PM
Katherine Burgess

Thanks, Mirjam. Very useful.
Katherine

Neck Tie Quilts? Chuck and Kim Quilting 8 January 13th 05 12:01 PM
My next project Trish Brown Sewing 11 April 27th 04 10:42 AM
Raglan Sleeve Sweater Question? Louise Weiler Yarn 4 November 15th 03 12:08 PM
Making a Neck Ring/ Choker Hello Jewelry 4 October 21st 03 04:12 PM
Neck Pillow patterns? aeromom Sewing 3 October 14th 03 04:58 AM