Round Robin, Row Robin other idea?

Old November 10th 03, 01:10 PM
CHARLES MURPHY

Default Round Robin, Row Robin other idea?

Can you guys help?
I am researching different ideas for guild activities, we've done a
friendship clock exchange, fat quarters exchange, Round Robin, mystery
quilt, Brown Bag exchange....we are looking for something new ....Any ideas?

--
Mauvice in Central WI USA

Old November 10th 03, 01:27 PM
Mel Rimmer

In article , CHARLES MURPHY
writes
Can you guys help?
I am researching different ideas for guild activities, we've done a
friendship clock exchange, fat quarters exchange, Round Robin, mystery
quilt, Brown Bag exchange....we are looking for something new ....Any ideas?

I'm in a Harmony Swap - you pick a focus fabric for a quilt you intend
to make, then you send a 6" piece of it to the next swapper. She chooses
a FQ she thinks "harmonises" with your focus fabric, and sends them both
to the next swapper. And so on. Eventually you get back a parcel with a
bunch of FQs that harmonise with your focus fabric, and you can make
your quilt. And of course, you have sent a bunch of FQs to the other
swappers which harmonise with their projects.

I've never been in one before. I was going to see how it works out, and
then maybe organise one on rctq if enough people are interested.
--
Mel Rimmer
Old November 10th 03, 01:35 PM
CHARLES MURPHY

This sounds wonderful! I like this it is also a way of reducing unrelated
stash (or maybe increasing the projects to be done?) Anyway sounds good
and not really a lot of work....we have many work intensive projects going
right now.

--
Mauvice in Central WI USA

Old November 10th 03, 02:02 PM
Teresa in Colorado

A variation of the harmony swap is the birthday fabric swap. The month
before your birthday, you give a 6" piece to each member of your group. On
your birthday month, you get a fat quarter (or half yard, depending) from
each person in the group.

Birthday blocks. Again, the month before your birthday you give everyone a
6" (or larger if necessary) piece of fabric, tell them a block size - and
you get a block from each person in the group on your birthday month.

Fabric Exchange - bring in your unwanted fabric and swap for some that
someone else has.

We have done both a border challenge (they tend to get huge and time
consuming, but fun) AND a row challenge. They are both very different
animals. If you have done one, I encourage you to do the other. A row
challenge has the advantage that the rows are approximately the same size
from month to month. Then the owner gets to put them together any way she
wants.

There's a book out about challenges, but I don't know the name. In it was
an applique challenge. You start a simple scene or theme in a 18" or 24"
block, then each person adds to it as it goes around the group.

Secret Sister - each month you get a small token from your SS, then once a
year you have a party and exchange real gifts - and find out who your SS is.
This can be difficult at times, especially if you have your same SS the next
year - but I'm doing fine - have purchased her Christmas gift already. :-)

Our current challenge is somewhat a flop, but I think mostly because
everyone in the group is way too busy. Sigh. We put a bunch of quilting
techniques in a bag. There were the normal ones - log cabin, triangles,
curves diamonds, stars, etc and a bunch of others (repeat element or
original design, embellishment, etc).
Each month we drew out a technique and you had to use that technique. You
pick your own fabrics and do your own work. Most people did a border
challenge, some did blocks, Lori did neither... :-)

Hope this helps.
--
Teresa in Colorado

The Presser Foot
Sewing Machine Sales, Service, Supplies, and More
www.thepresserfoot.com

Old November 10th 03, 05:19 PM
Pat in Virginia

Mauvice:
Here is a swap that my small group enjoys, with very little
investment of both time and money. We are swapping 5" strips of
designated color/style. Cut four 5" strips selvage to selvage and
then divide in half to yield 8 strips about 21" long. We put
those on a table and each person stands next to her/his strips.
Then we go around the table and pick up one from each stack until
each person has eight strips. We usually have about fourteen in
the meeting, so there is a nice selection of fabric. A person can
bring two stacks, but the fabric must be different. We did it
every month this year and elected to continue next year too. We
also do a 'major project' too. We've been doing the brown bag
exchange and will get it back in December. Wednesday night we
will vote on the 2004 project. What is the Friendship Clock
Exchange, pleas?

HTH. PAT in VA/USA

Old November 10th 03, 07:15 PM
Queen of Squishies

How about a music quilt challenge? There's been quite a flurry of interest
in those lately, and I myself am intrigued. Just a thought.

Karen, Queen of Squishies
--
My reply address is scrambled. Please change my
address to hicall80 at earthlink dot net

Old November 10th 03, 07:26 PM
Lorilynn King

Lori had other challenges this year...... :-D

--
Lori
http://www.users.qwest.net/~lsquared/

Chocolate reduces stress. And it's so much quieter than throwing a screaming
fit.

Old November 10th 03, 10:50 PM
Elena

We have something interesting, but it's not an exchange, exactly. It's our
Block of the Month. The organizer tells everyone about the block, shows an
example and hands out instructions to anyone who wants them. Sometimes
there's a restriction like the month for Watermelon blocks. You were
supposed to do it in reddish/pink and green. The following month, those who
made a block toss it in, and one name is drawn for all the blocks. Any more
than one block gets tossed into the Overachievers pile, and a name is drawn
from those folks. The instructions are never more than half a page long, so
it's really about just trying something for fun. One month was a string
piecing block, another was a paper pieced pumpkin, another was a very
abstract and easy flag block. Hope you can get the idea. I'm loving
reading these responses. Thanks for asking!

Elena in Tx

Old November 11th 03, 02:06 AM
Teresa in Colorado

No, No, No - it's not that she didn't do it - she outdid us. As usual.
She is lying to you.
Ask to see the EQ5 picture...

It's really nice to see her not getting some things done, like a normal
person. :-)

Round Robin Rhea Needlework 15 January 5th 04 03:08 PM
A Virtual Round Robin Diana Curtis Quilting 3 November 8th 03 02:35 PM
what's a round robin? Medium Gnome Quilting 28 September 16th 03 03:40 AM
Mini Round Robin Melissa in NJ Quilting 6 August 24th 03 11:48 AM
Mini Round Robin.... when was that to start? Kellie J. Berger Quilting 1 July 12th 03 03:39 PM