Vernors

Old September 25th 03, 09:13 PM
georg

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Anyone born after 1960 doesn't know what a yummy shake or ice cream cone
is. g That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. Do you know what
they put in those things to make them thick?
Dianne

While I've only had good shakes from Friendly's, I certainly know what
an ice cream cone is. Waffle cones make me cringe.

-georg
born in 1969

Old September 25th 03, 09:24 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 9/25/03 4:13 PM, in article ,
"georg" wrote:

Dianne Lewandowski wrote:
Anyone born after 1960 doesn't know what a yummy shake or ice cream cone
is. g That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. Do you know what
they put in those things to make them thick?

Dianne

While I've only had good shakes from Friendly's, I certainly know what
an ice cream cone is. Waffle cones make me cringe.

-georg
born in 1969

Hey Dianne - don't you folks get Ben and Jerry's out there. Now they aren't
what they were in the hey day of Ben and Jerry running the shop, but still
dang good.
When I was living in the Cambridge area, many of the local ice cream shops
all made their own at store front - talk about yummy. Joey's made a Cinnamon
Chocolate Raisin that was to die for. Dark creamy chocolate, fragrant
cinnamon and huge raisins.
Cheryl

Old September 25th 03, 10:06 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Hey Dianne - don't you folks get Ben and Jerry's out there. Now they aren't
what they were in the hey day of Ben and Jerry running the shop, but still
dang good.

Now, my husband is lots younger than me, but considers himself a
connoisure of ice cream (not!). So, after listening to all the hype, we
bought some of this stuff. Worse ice cream either of us have ever tasted.

About 20 years ago, I asked a friend in Ohio who has a dairy cow for her
family why milk at the store was so "watery". Not the 2%, low fat
stuff, the "real" milk. She kinda knew the answer, but wanted to be
sure, so she went to a friend that was a huge dairy farmer in the area.

You see, it's what they're feeding the cows, now, AND they're skimming
more cream off, AND the milk isn't the same (amino acids and all that
stuff I never heard of) that it used to be.

Now, in a society that worries about being overweight, the argument goes
"Thank goodness there's not so much cream in milk!" And, they feed
their kids (mostly unwisely) the 2% because they're so hugely conscious
of calories as they throw a breakfast bar laced with sugar at their kids
on their way to school and put Twinkies in their lunch box.

Go figure. No thank you. I long for the days when ice cream was really
ice cream - and it was a once-in-a-while treat, milk was really milk,
and less than 2% of the population of children was over ideal weight.

When I was living in the Cambridge area, many of the local ice cream shops
all made their own at store front - talk about yummy. Joey's made a Cinnamon
Chocolate Raisin that was to die for. Dark creamy chocolate, fragrant
cinnamon and huge raisins.

Sounds great, Cheryl, but I'll bet it doesn't compare to 50 years ago.
:-) I loved the sound of it, anyway!
Dianne

Old September 26th 03, 12:32 AM
Kathy Tabb

Dianne,
Now you've got me really going nostalgic! For "real" ice
cream, Sanders was great, but the VERY best ice cream came from a
small neighborhood dairy. They had the milk processing machines
right in the front of the store, next to the soda fountain.You
could watch the bottling process all the way from beginning to
end. Ooooo eeeee, did it smell from the cream!!!!! But it was so
worth it to go there. On Sundays after church, Dad and Mom would
drive me and my 3 brothers to Swietzers Dairy on Warren Avenue
for true home-made ice cream at the counter. We'd have sundaes or
sodas, or Boston Coolers, and then Dad would order some ice cream
(butter pecan was the best) to be hand-packed to bring home.

Who would guess that these memories would become so special
50+ years later!

I agree about the quality of Sanders now. Ever since they
sold out, it hasn't been the same --- except maybe for their
hot-fudge sauce. Even their "bumpy" cake (chocolate cake with
ripples of butter cream laced thru the frosting) isn't the same.
Yummmmmmm.

Kathy

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
Oh, Kathy! Thank you for the walk down memory lane! I loved

it.
Especially for making my gray cells remember the term "float."
Yes! That was the word. A Vernor's float. Root beer "floats"

did
go by the name of "black cow", but everything else was just a

float.

And yes . . . when the ice cream was real. It's been 40 years

since
I've had REAL ice cream - never mind what it says on the label.

That
"stuff" that comes out of machines these days is the poorest

excuse for
ice cream I've ever come across.

For you, it was Sander's ice cream. They're not so good

anymore. In my
youth and neighborhood, it was Bordens, which deteriorated

rapidly after
1960's.
Dianne

Kathy Tabb wrote:
As a kid in Detroit, the drug stores (with soda fountains

back
then; what a super memory that is -- long counters with bar
stools, just like you see in a bar today) would make any
combination of ice cream (real) and "pop" (soda to the rest

of
the country!). They were called Floats. For 18 cents you

could
buy a Pepsi Float with chocolate ice cream. They'd fill the

tall
glass with the ice cream, add the Pepsi, but not blend it,

and
give you the rest of the bottle to drink! You could make it

last
and last by adding more Pepsi to the ice cream as you ate.

In my
neighborhood, that was the favorite combination, with root

beer
and vanilla a close second. I still make them at home for a

real
treat and my grandkids just love them.

As for milk shakes, I sure agree that the McDonalds, Dairy

Queen
types just don't compare to a REAL milk shake made at

Sander's
Ice Cream Parlors. Ohhhhh so yummy!

Sure do miss the good ol' days of my youth!

Kathy

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in

message

Thanks for the name. I couldn't remember!! We never blended

it. Just

scoops of ice cream and pour Vernors (or root beer) over the

top. There

were no "blenders" in those days, except at the soda

fountains.

:-) At

least not where I lived.

But I do remember what a *real* milk shake (whether or not

"malted")

tasted like. That garbage you get at McDonald's and Dairy

Queen just

doesn't cut it. :-)
Dianne

Kathy Tabb wrote:

When you put Vernors in a tall glass and add a scoop of

vanilla

ice cream, put it in the blender for a bit, it's called a

Boston

Cooler --- don't know why since it was created in Detroit --

but

it's the very BEST kind of summer drink in the world.

Kathy
Who was raised on them!

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in

message

It's a Detroit area beverage. The wife of the "inventor"

was

cared for

in a home in the little town wherein I grew up.

It's a wonderful ginger ale - like nothing else out there.

And

I miss

it . . . It made a great desert when - in a deep glass -

you

poured it

over scoops of ice cream. Another good one was a "black

cow".

Same

thing, only with root beer. g Ahhhh, youth!
Dianne

Lucille wrote:

For those of us who are among the uninformed--What are

vernors?

Lucille

"Joan Erickson" wrote in

message

Bob & Marg Whittleton wrote:

KenB wrote:

(and what does it have to do with stitching?)

My question, exactly!

--
Joan

See my first-ever design he
http://www.heritageshoppe.com/joan.jpg

"Stitch when you are young and poor, frame when you are

old

and rich."

- Elizabeth's (rctn'r) sister's MIL (Barbara Marr)

Old September 26th 03, 01:03 AM
Amanda Reynolds

"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
About 20 years ago, I asked a friend in Ohio who has a dairy cow for her
family why milk at the store was so "watery". Not the 2%, low fat
stuff, the "real" milk. She kinda knew the answer, but wanted to be
sure, so she went to a friend that was a huge dairy farmer in the area.

You see, it's what they're feeding the cows, now, AND they're skimming
more cream off, AND the milk isn't the same (amino acids and all that
stuff I never heard of) that it used to be.

Hmm, must be different over there. In Australia dairy farmers are paid on
milk fats and total solids (ie protein) in the milk. If the percentage of
either of these is too low then they are penalised, and since farm gate
prices for milk are low enough as it is, everyone tries to avoid that. All
the playing around with composition of white milk (the stuff you buy in
cartons) is done at the processing centre.

Cows have changed a little in that selective breeding has created larger
animals that produce more milk (volume). Most farms also have solely
Holstein-freisians (big black and white cows); 50 years ago there were more
Jerseys and Guernseys (smaller brown cows) which have creamier milk.

I doubt the types of amino acids have changed, I would like to see some
scientific data or where your friend got that information.

Now, in a society that worries about being overweight, the argument goes
"Thank goodness there's not so much cream in milk!" And, they feed
their kids (mostly unwisely) the 2% because they're so hugely conscious
of calories as they throw a breakfast bar laced with sugar at their kids
on their way to school and put Twinkies in their lunch box.

Go figure. No thank you. I long for the days when ice cream was really
ice cream - and it was a once-in-a-while treat, milk was really milk,
and less than 2% of the population of children was over ideal weight.

I agree with you completely on this. Feeding our children all this
processed and high complex-sugar food is one of the main factors in the huge
escalation in juvenile obesity which will in turn lead to diabetes, heart
disease...

Amanda

Old September 26th 03, 01:39 AM
Darla

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 12:47:50 -0500, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

Oh, Kathy! Thank you for the walk down memory lane! I loved it.
Especially for making my gray cells remember the term "float."
Yes! That was the word. A Vernor's float. Root beer "floats" did
go by the name of "black cow", but everything else was just a float.

Must be a regional thing. I've always known root beer floats as root
beer floats, not "black cows."
Darla
Sacred cows make great hamburgers.
Old September 26th 03, 02:31 AM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Darla wrote:

Must be a regional thing. I've always known root beer floats as root
beer floats, not "black cows."

Where I grew up in New Jersey (metro NYC), a black cow was vanilla ice
cream soda with chocolate "soda" (soda water and chocolate syrup). Also
called a "black and white" ice cream soda.

Root beer float was a root beer float (and *always* vanilla ice cream!)

And, yes, we used to have egg creams (vanilla or chocolate) and another
treat called a "lime rickey"...don't remember exactly what that was,
though. I think lime syrup in soda water? Maybe? (there were lemon
rickeys and lime rickeys, no other flavors as far as I recall). We used
to have those at the drug store fountain in Ridgefield Park. (and this
was in the mid to late 60s, early 70s!!)

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music

Old September 26th 03, 02:58 AM
Lucille

I'm originally from Brooklyn, NY and as I remember it a Lime Rickey was
Cherry syrup, seltzer and a generous squeeze of lime.
Lucille

Old September 26th 03, 04:05 AM
Caryn

Anyone born after 1960 doesn't know what a yummy shake or ice cream cone
is. g That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. Do you know what
they put in those things to make them thick?
Dianne

I was born in 1962, and have been to a real drug store soda fountain and had
"real" milkshakes.

I also worked at a Carvel Ice cream store one summer while in college, and we
made shakes with soft serve ice cream, milk, and syrups. No thickening agents,
an the ice cream was made with real cream.

I've also had "real" made from scratch ice cream as well.

Just so you know g

Caryn
Blue Wizard Designs
http://hometown.aol.com/crzy4xst/index.html
Updated: 7/7/03 -- now available Dragon of the Stars
View WIPs at: http://community.webshots.com/user/carynlws (Caryn's UFO's)