Calculating shrinkage

Old July 4th 03, 05:47 PM
GaSeku

Default Calculating shrinkage

Is there a fairly simple, but most importantly, very accurate way to figure
shrinkage? I would love to know how to be sure the finished piece would fit,
say a ring for large water urns, spigots, lamp kits, etc.
Thanks for putting up with all my newbie questions.
Old July 4th 03, 11:32 PM
GaSeku

Thanks Fiona.
Old July 5th 03, 04:43 AM
Mud Dawg

There are at least two ways to calculate shrinkage. The first is to buy a
shrink ruler, which has four different shrinkage factors already printed on
the ruler. Ask your supplier what the shrinkage factor is for your clay and
then use that number (i.e. 12%) on the shrink ruler. The other way is to
cut a ruler size slab from the clay body you use. Using a ruler, make your
marks on the piece of claythat correspond to the markings on your ruler or
tape measure. Then you go through the normal firing procedures that you
normally use. The clay will have shrunk but all of your markings are
proportional. Take your original ruler you used as a guide. Lets say you now
want an 8" bowl. Take your tape measure and see where 8" falls on your clay
ruler. Let's say it falls at 9 3/4" on your clay ruler. You now know that
to get an 8" bowl you must throw something approximately 9 3/4" to end up
with 8". Have I confused you enough? Steve in Tampa, FL, USA

Old July 5th 03, 04:06 PM
Bob Masta

On 04 Jul 2003 16:47:34 GMT, (GaSeku) wrote:

Is there a fairly simple, but most importantly, very accurate way to figure
shrinkage? I would love to know how to be sure the finished piece would fit,
say a ring for large water urns, spigots, lamp kits, etc.
Thanks for putting up with all my newbie questions.

I'm also a newbie, but the shrinkage issue is the first thing I had
to deal with. The project that got me into clay was to
make ceramic flanges for odd-sized shower faucets, and they
had to be the correct length to fit.

What I noticed is that my clay shrinks a certain amount in
getting to bone dry, but then there is no more shrinkage
until it gets near maturity. I tried this on a "wide-range
stoneware" body, and briefly on a stoneware body and on
some native clay.

So my solution was to make the pieces a little too big
so that when bone dry I would have to remove a small
amount by sanding (or whatever) to get them to the
exact size needed. The big problem was finding a
glaze that would fit on a non-mature body. I ended
up with Behren's "Simple Colemanite Glazes" and
just kept moving up the cone ranges until I got one
to work, at cone 2 on the wide-range stoneware.

This method also works well for drawer pulls with
threads right in the clay to receive the screws to
hold them on to the drawer... no glued-in inserts
needed. I'm still experimenting with the easiest/
best way to do it, but one way that works well
is to drill bone-dry clay to just fit the screw, then
coat the screw with slip and let it dry in place.
(I applied a light layer of wax to the screw first.)
When that dries, you carefully unscrew the screw
and fire. (I bisque to C04 and glaze to C2.)

Bob Masta
tech(AT)daqarta(DOT)com

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
Shareware from Interstellar Research
www.daqarta.com
Old July 5th 03, 04:43 PM
Slgraber

make a shrink ruler.

1. use a plain old wooden ruler.

2. cut a slab of clay to the size of the ruler.

3. mark off increments as detailed as you like.

4. fire the clay "ruler". and glue it to the back of the "real" ruler.

on one side you'll see the starting size, on the other you'll see the finished
size. you can make judgements from there based on what you want to make. .

i have several rulers in my workshop for different clays.

see ya

steve

Subject: Calculating shrinkage

Old July 6th 03, 12:10 PM
GaSeku

This is great info. Thanks so much! I am so grateful to all who have answered
my question. You are great people!
Old July 6th 03, 12:12 PM
GaSeku

Steve,
How clever! Thanks for the great tip!
Gaye
Old July 16th 03, 01:39 AM
James Aberle

I love it when people make things nice and simple and also solve the
question at hand.......very good....from Jim in Jersey

psci_kw wrote:

om...

"GaSeku" wrote in message

Is there a fairly simple, but most importantly, very accurate way to

figure

shrinkage? I would love to know how to be sure the finished piece would

fit,

say a ring for large water urns, spigots, lamp kits, etc.
Thanks for putting up with all my newbie questions.

Steve, the idea of making a ruler out of the same clay is pure genius!
Can I throw my calculator away now ? g
Now all I have to do is figure out how to make it flexible :)
Wayne
Key West