Who are we?

Old August 21st 10, 12:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

Default Who are we?

On 8/16/10 10:39 AM, in article
, "Mavia"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 05:04:52 -0700 (PDT), Cathy from KY in CA
wrote:

You said yourself, you can't afford to go. They should have seminars
that are affordable to
all their members.....and they wonder why attendance is down! They
need to scale back to
fit with the economy. I think they could choose much more affordable
venues in which to have
their seminars.

I feel I am wasting my dues money because I receive no benefit from
the org. They can't even write a
survey that makes sense!

If you think they EGA is so great.......then stay with it. I will use
future dues money to attend occ
classes at my LNS.

just me,
Cathy from KY in CA

Cathy you are not the voice crying in the wilderness, more than ten
years ago I addressed the same issue with the Canadian Embroidery
Assoc.

I really don't know how the EGA runs it's seminars but in Canada for
an area to take it on is quite the job. When it was near me, our
Guild contributed by stitching favours for all the guests, we started
at least two years before the event ! To my mind, that could have
easily been cut out, making hosting the seminar far easier. Most
Guilds are not large enough to be able to host.

As president of my Guild when I attended national meetings (only
partly sponsored by our little Guild, mostly paid by me) the cost of
taking advantage of a seminar was a point I raised. Talk about a
chill settling over the meeting lol I came away feeling that the
attitude was 'If you can't afford to lavish this amount on your
stitching - - tough !' It didn't go anywhere, even though I knew
many felt the same way.

snip

I totally agree that the cost of seminars are way too high for a lot of
people...myself included.
I find I get a greater benefit for my money when taking classes from
instructors brought in by the Guilds.
Tanya Berlin and Carolyn Mitchell are two that come to mind. No need to
travel far for the classes
and the class fees were reasonable.

Mavia

And how so lucky you are to have them there. In this area we also have some
really well-known teachers/designers. It's so great when you can do local
classes.

Ellice

Old August 21st 10, 12:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 8/16/10 5:13 PM, in article ,
"Alex Corvinus" wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:09:37 -0400, "Ellice K."
wrote:

On 8/8/10 8:30 PM, in article
,
"Barbara T" wrote:

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:09:48 -0700 (PDT), "Joan E."
wrote:
wheels for one that did have them. Traveled around the USA for years

Wow - Alamogordo! A name from my past. For way more time than I sometimes
like to think about, I spent much of my time on the range. Alamogordo was
someplace we'd go when tired (easily done) of too much time in Socorro. (A
place at that time where we hailed the new "Super 8" as "The Hyatt" - and
when Holiday Inn Express came - that was "The Ritz-Carlton"). Interesting
place to retire - do you love it?

I know this place. A bit SE of La Luz, IIRC. Up 77 from El Paso.

Been there. Lived on Holloman AFB for a couple of years. Shopped in
Tijuana. Took my M'Cycle driving test in El Paso, had to ride it from
'Gordo to El Paso (Past Dog Canyon), and got caught in a desert
T'Storm near Oro Grande. ChiHUAHUA! What an experience. Then failed
the damned test. (Turned right from the left side of the right-most
lane rather than the right side of the right-most lane. PITA!)

"Gordo was a nice place, quiet. La Luz was mentioned in Hervey Allen's
picaresque novel, Anthony Adverse, later made into a B/W film.

DD grad'd from NMT in Socorro. Ate chili burgers at the Owl.

Alex

Ah, I'm feeling semi-homesick. My first time in the Owl, coming back from
working on the range, my techs got there first, and as I ran in the door
behind them - they told the gals at the bar "she doesn't pay." The Owl was
about 1/2 way from work to the motel in Socorro - so a regular stop. The
benefit of being close to the only female working on the range (besides the
older wives of a couple of retired EOD tech guys) seemed to be my having the
fun of beers and chili-cheese burgers with the crews. I will say, I found
it kind of infuriating (being as even though I was younger, I was still kind
of the boss) - but it was a lovely sense. It took me about a month before I
finally was able to run in the door ahead of the gang and slap money down
announcing "drinks were on me" - for a whole lot of great guys working hard,
hot and dusty!

NMT - good school. Did a little guest lecturing kind of stuff there.

Ellice

Old August 21st 10, 12:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 8/17/10 11:21 AM, in article , "Karen C -
California" wrote:

wrote:

It's great they do all you say they do, perhaps they need to give out
grants to attend seminars ? Very often these associations grow big,
grow grand and then lose sight of the grass roots.

Amen. And especially in a situation where the women who have the time
to get really involved are SAHW of men who earn enough to indulge
themselves.

Some of us are neither SAHW nor earn enough to drop a couple grand on
seminar without blinking.

Nice broad stroke there. While there indeed are many of those people
participant, you'd be amazed at how many active volunteers, teachers, and
participants are precisely the opposite of your assumption. Women with
careers - professional ones ranging from professors, doctors, engineers,
librarians, to people who just work at whatever they must to earn a living.
Far fewer of the SAHW - and many of the guild members I know who are SAHW
don't come to seminar's because of the taking care of children obligations.
But as with anything - like you making time to work with your fibromyalgia
group - people make the time to volunteer because they're interested. I
know a lot of single/divorced/widowed working women who still volunteer and
go to guild classes/seminars. But, yes there certainly are those lucky
enough to have the financial resources to not blink - just not all of us.

One of our local EGA chapters only has its meetings on a weekday morning -
it's not so good for the many working women (its an old chapter). They have
great classes - but it's out of the question for many - unless it's a
special weekend thing.

ellice

Old August 22nd 10, 02:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Ellice K.

On 8/21/10 10:42 AM, in article ,
"Alex Corvinus" wrote:

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 19:47:11 -0400, "Ellice K."
wrote:

On 8/16/10 5:15 PM, in article
,
"Alex Corvinus" wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 17:09:37 -0400, "Ellice K."
wrote:

North end, as in WSMR. Going to the south end, usually got to do it on a
noisy chopper ride.

Alex, who still has a piece of the high speed test track on a plaque.

Nice. You don't want to know about my stuff - though I did get to be keeper
of the keys for some historic sites on the range (visitors kept coming thru
to see some special work, so I got to give the tours).

Historic places..... during the '60's the FAA complained that we had a
rocket launching tower up range. It was left over from the days after
WW-II, when they launched V-2's from there. Rather than put money into
bringing the tower into FAA compliance, the order was given to bring
it down. We took a team of EOD men up there and collapsed in with
explosive charges on its legs. I still have pix of the event, taken
with an old Graphic 4x5 camera.

Excellent!

Alex, who provided the crowd a great show on Armed Forces day, with a
crashing F-111, for which he received the Air Force Commendation
Medal.

That's quite an accomplishment, glad you're around to share the tales.

Ellice