Who are we?

Old August 6th 10, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cheryl Isaak

Default Who are we?

Who am I - well, some days I wonder about that.

I'm Cheryl, in southern NH. Which is close enough to a bunch of other
RCTN'rs for get-togethers.

Hmm, in no particular order, mom to DS, aka K, who leaves for college in a
few short weeks. An event I alternately dread or chill the champagne. (Gawd
is he a cranky cuss of late). Also Mom to DD, aka E, who is 11, soon to be
12 and my second hockey player. In about a month, I will be spending many
hours at a rink or driving to a rink. She plays on "ladies team", the middle
school team and when ever else she can get some ice time. Age 50+, married
for 22 years. No pets, but we do pet sit for a friend and DD pet sits for
the neighborhood. Until DD's arrival, I was an engineer at a defense
contractor.

I stitch - mostly counted but do surface work, trying my hand at
needlepoint, like hardanger, beadwork and really really want to learn pulled
and drawn thread. My current project is a bit strange. Using plastic canvas
and a wide variety of stitches and fibers, I'm creating a case for my
portable Ott lamp. I should add, DD is stitching a "glow worm" for one
panel. And showed some ingenuity by coloring the area -just like those
pieces on the wall at Susan's (aka Contoocook Needlework Gallery) Mom.

I also read and garden. A lot. Current book, The Girl Who Chased the Moon by
Sarah Addison Allen. (BTW - go get any of her stuff, I may just have to buy
my own copies of her stuff). I range between mysteries, certain romance
authors, science fiction, some fantasy and some historical fiction. And
something

Garden - 90% ornamental, with some tomatoes most years. I'm currently in the
middle of a multi-year project of re-designing my bed. Meaning I'm thinning
my daylily collection, adding shrubs and moving lots of plants around.

I should also add, I collect ladybugs in many forms which is why you'll see
people post links all sorts of ladybug items. I also collect antique
needlework tools when they are affordable.

Those of you who are on Facebook, I should be an easy find!

Old August 6th 10, 03:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan[_4_]

On Aug 6, 8:55*am, Cheryl Isaak wrote:
[...]

My name is Susan and I've been lurking since the 1990's. Depending on
life sometimes less than more.

I've been married for 22 years and moved to the Pittsburgh area from a
farm in North Central Kansas. I'm 48, but don't tell my kids, they
still haven't figured it out, lol. I have three kids, DS 19, DD 16,
DD 11. All who've been taught to cross stitch and some to quilt.

I've been cross stitching since my grandma taught me when I was 5. I
sew most of my girls clothes since they're such odd sizes and I also
quilt some. I also knit and crochet, but I must admit my first love is
counted cross stitch. Right now I'm working on a half dozen different
projects but most seriously on a sailing sampler for my DH birthday.
He loves sailing and I thought he might like the sampler. It's been
tough though, because I have to hide the darn thing every time he
comes near.

I love to read and will read almost anything although mysteries are my
favorite.

Right now I have more time as I'm job hunting. I've just become one of
the unemployed due to the Census finally winding down.

Can't think of anything else, but if there any questions, let me know.

Susan

Old August 6th 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan E.

Default !!*%$$#! wildlife! was: Who are we?

On Aug 5, 5:04*pm, Susan Hartman wrote:
Well, DH just went out to pick a hot
pepper for dinner, and there's only one tomato left on the plant. One
half-eaten tomato on the deck railing. One in a flowerpot a few steps
away the deck. (Rearranging the produce??) One on the ground, two
dropped from the second-story height. Who knows where the fifth one
went. And several knocked-over pots.

Who would do such a thing?

Do you have a dog? My coworker caught her dog eating her tomatoes!

Joan
Old August 6th 10, 07:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nancy

On Aug 6, 10:30*am, Susan wrote:

My name is Susan and I've been lurking since the 1990's. Depending on
life sometimes less than more.

I've been married for 22 years and moved to the Pittsburgh area from a
farm in North Central Kansas. I'm 48, but don't tell my kids, they
still haven't figured it out, lol. *I have three kids, DS 19, DD 16,
DD 11. All who've been taught to cross stitch and some to quilt.

Where in the Pittsburgh area? I'm in Forest Hills, just off the
Parkway East.

Nancy...who also does a lot of reading, especially mysteries.
Old August 6th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
fran

I'm a programmer who's been mostly lurking here since early to mid
90's. I do a variety of needlework: counted cross stitch, japanese
embroidery, canvas embroidery, goldwork, quiliting.

I also garden and am a voracious reader. I've landscaped my back yard
so that I have a green fence (tho' it's pretty bare in the winter) and
have some island beds throughout the rest of the yard. I read
romance, sci fi, fantasy, history, and science.

I live in western NC, and there are no LNS's anymore w/in easy driving
distance, so I've had a really good excuse to build a pretty good
stash over the years ;-). I probably have 90% of Nora Colbert and
Terrence Nolan's designs and have recently been perusing the Heaven
and Earth design site. Like as tho I need any more charts.....
Old August 7th 10, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cyn

I am Cynthia, a fairly newbie lurker. Live in NH, do mostly xs, but
dabble with crochet, hardanger and a few other crafts at times.

Figured I should wave hi,...

Life's a Stitch!!
Cyn
Old August 7th 10, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
joyce

Cyn wrote:
I am Cynthia, a fairly newbie lurker. Live in NH, do mostly xs, but
dabble with crochet, hardanger and a few other crafts at times.

Figured I should wave hi,...

Life's a Stitch!!
Cyn

Another mostly lurker these days. I'm Joyce, live in South Africa, in a
very small town called Bethulie, in the Free State. I'm not sure when I
came to this group, but it was around the time Jim's quilt was
finishing, quite a few years ago now.

I have done a great deal of ccs in the past, but at present it's mostly
hardanger. I started a group here, mostly older people, who have had
great fun learning to do hardanger and ccs, with beautiful results.

Joyce in RSA.
Old August 7th 10, 07:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan[_4_]

On Aug 6, 2:15*pm, Nancy wrote:
On Aug 6, 10:30*am, Susan wrote:

My name is Susan and I've been lurking since the 1990's. Depending on
life sometimes less than more.

I've been married for 22 years and moved to the Pittsburgh area from a
farm in North Central Kansas. I'm 48, but don't tell my kids, they
still haven't figured it out, lol. *I have three kids, DS 19, DD 16,
DD 11. All who've been taught to cross stitch and some to quilt.

Where in the Pittsburgh area? *I'm in Forest Hills, just off the
Parkway East.

Nancy...who also does a lot of reading, especially mysteries.

I live in Dravosburg. Across the river from McKeesport and tucked in
the middle of West Mifflin.
Old August 8th 10, 04:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Carrie

I'm Carolyn from the south coast of England. I've been mostly lurking since
my divorce 12 years ago, as that is when I took up embroidery again. I had
5 children, inc. 2 x twins, all grown up now. I've 4 grandsons who I adore.

I've been unemployed for 18 months with fibromyalgia and depression, so my
house is a tip and I won't allow myself to start another project till it's
clean and tidy. As my energy levels are around -10 it may be some time!

I like freestyle surface embroidery and am about to try stumpwork. Classic
Inspirations is my favourite source and I have several projects kitted up
and ready to go.... I pick up any old needlework tools I can find, old
needlework books and old sewing machines which I love as they run like a
dream. I've also been collecting fabrics, lace etc from charity shops with
the idea of doing crazy patchwork. (Can't think why my house is a tip!!)

I read a LOT - mysteries, thrillers, sci-fi, anything I can get my hands on.
I've just finished the first 3 books by Monica Ferris, which I read with a
big smile on my face!

I have 3 dogs - 2 bichon frises and a rescue german shepherd with 'issues' -
she's hard work but gives me a reason to get up in the morning!

I'd love to hear from anyone nearby with the same interests, or anyone far
away who'd like to chat.

I love this group, you always make me smile and give me plenty to dream
about. It's great to hear from people all over the world who have such a
different lifestyle too.

Best to you all,
Carolyn

Old August 9th 10, 01:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Barbara T

On Wed, 4 Aug 2010 08:09:48 -0700 (PDT), "Joan E."
wrote:

Since we seem to have one or two new members and a couple of recent
returners, I thought it might be time for another round of "Who are
we?", so I'll start.

I'm Joan. I live on the eastern edge of North Dakota. I work in a
university library and have been here for over 30 years now (somewhat
shows my age!). I'm married, have 2 sons, 1 daughter, 1 brand-new
granddaughter and a yellow lab (Jasmine) and will soon to become
caretaker of DD's horse for the winter.

I mostly do counted cs but also knit, crochet, have done some crewel,
needlepoint, canvaswork and needle tatting. Some day I'm going to
learn hardanger, mostly so I can do justice to some of Thea Dueck's
(Victoria Sampler) designs that I have. I'm getting near the end of a
set of stuffed pieces for a Nativity set (Carol Emmer designs) that
I've been working on for a couple of years. Currently, I'm doing the
cover for a cs baby book (designed by Ellen Maurer-Stroh) for DGD.

I've been on this *wonderful* group since the mid-90s, I think.

Who's next?

Joan.

Barbara T here, mostly lurker. Put my two cents in now and then. Been
away for a bit and am delighted to be back in time to post. This
thread is delightfully branching away now and then. One of my favorite
parts of RCTN.
Celebrated my mmm69mm birthday last month so I also fit in the senior
group. Started lurking occasionally in late 90s whenever our home on
wheels stayed in one spot long enough to catch onto a phone wire for
internet access. Found RCTN from a link of K Dyer who had a link at
Heartland House where I first found CCS. Wanted a project with Frank
Lloyd Write design, my familiar knitting and crocheting skills would
not be of use then as I could find no pattern. All the valuable info
from this group made the learning easy.
I'm self taught in needlework but DM taught me very well clothes
construction which I did till offspring did NOT want hand made
clothes! I swerved into Hardinger when Emie Bishop's Christmas in my
Heart charts went on sale at Nordic Needle. They made excellent gifts
to DH's extended family, especially since he framed them.

A Kansan by birth till DH retired, then we swapped our home without
wheels for one that did have them. Traveled around the USA for years
till it was time to seriously consider hanging up the keys. Settled
in Alamogordo New Mexico early 2008. We do like it here and are
learning the differences in vegetable gardening between Kansas and New
Mexico. DH is retired Army, I'm retired odd jobber and SAHM.

Barbara T