Giffen Grip Question

Old July 10th 03, 01:14 AM
GaSeku

Default Giffen Grip Question

I would like everyone's opinions on using a Giffen Grip for trimming. Thanks!
Old July 10th 03, 04:09 AM
Uncle John

I would like everyone's opinions on using a Giffen Grip for trimming.

Thanks!

I have usually found that the people who criticise the GG haven't used one
or can't afford ove

Regards

John Webb
Old July 10th 03, 08:02 AM
Steve Mills

It has its place as a tool, I still occasionally use mine, but find I
use a clay chuck or tap-centering just as much if not more.

Steve
Bath
UK

In article , GaSeku
writes
I would like everyone's opinions on using a Giffen Grip for trimming. Thanks!

--
Steve Mills
Bath
Old July 10th 03, 09:07 AM
Elaine Coggins

Hi, like Steve I had to learn to center in the traditional way, I did this
for 10 years befor getting the Griffen Grip and I would not be with out it.
(I have been potting for 32 years)

--
E.M.Coggins

Old July 10th 03, 04:42 PM
Marmaj40

June, If you put water on the bat, or wheel head to trim, how do you keep the
rim from getting rough, and ugly?
When I took classes a few years back we had bats that had thick foam glued to
them for trimming pieces. I think it would be used for large flat platters or
bowls with irregular lips.
Martha
Old July 11th 03, 03:00 AM
ShambhalaPottery

Martha, I only put a very slight bit of water on the wheelhead. It only take a
tiny bit to hold the pot. When I finish trimming, I just run a chamois around
the rim and it's fine.
It sounds like you may have used too much water.
I also have a piece of foam that I have glued on a bat and then used a fine
line magic marker to make concentric circles. I use this for plates as well as
the grabber pad.

Regards,
June
http://www.angelfire.com/art2/shambhalapottery/
Old July 13th 03, 01:04 PM
annemarie

"GaSeku" wrote in message
I would like everyone's opinions on using a Giffen Grip for trimming.

Thanks!

Lots of good answers. I have a griffen grip and would not be without it.
It makes it so much quicker and easier, especially when you have sets of
bowls or mugs or what ever.
I agree it is important to learn how to turn without a griffen grip, there
will always be the time you need this skill.
Annemarie

Old July 15th 03, 01:14 AM
GaSeku

Well, now that my Giffin Grip is up and runnin' I have to highly recommend it,
too! Man, what a time saver!
Thank you all who reponded to my question.