backing quilts

Old February 9th 08, 05:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_3_]

Default backing quilts

"Leslie & The Furbabies in MO." wrote in message
Sheets, muslin, extra wide 'for backing' fabrics or yardages pieced
together or FQs or scraps or extra blocks pieced together or a combination
of *all* of them pieced together are completely acceptable. I usually sew
two or three lengths of yardage that matches or compliments the front of
the quilt, but I used muslin exclusively in the past. If two lengths of
fabric aren't quite wide enough I'll stick a row of blocks between them or
a totally different contrasting fabric- maybe even with a third fabric as
borders for the row of blocks!- the sky is the limit. Whatever you can
find, afford, like or 'whatever' will make a great backing for your quilt.
One warning with a sheet for backing... if you get a high thread count it
can be difficult to hand quilt. Machine quilting prolly wouldn't be
effected by it. I've had some troubles even with high quality, expensive
sheets getting little nubbies on them. Maybe that wouldn't happen for a
quilt backing since I wouldn't be tossing and turning on it like I do with
my sheets. Insomnia, ya know. (Arthritis induced insomnia...)

Yes, I had heard not to buy a sheet with more than a 300 thread count for
hand quilting. I can't remember what TC I bought in the past. Your
suggestions are interesting and a good way to get rid of fabric not wanted
for tops.

I just put the new foot with 1/4" guide on my NewHome and adjusted the
tension. I can't wait to start sewing but first I have to plan the quilt.
It'll be boats and lighthouses. I found some great fabric for the sky, water
and sails. :^)

Old February 9th 08, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_3_]

"maryd" wrote in message
I've never used sheets. Depending on the size and use I back with
flannel, cotton, muslin. Sometimes the back is a solid piece and
sometimes pieces again depending on size of quilt and backing. Sometimes
Joann's has color muslin 108 inches wide.

Do you remember what her colored muslin or flannel goes for a yard? Also,
how well does flannel backing hold up?

Old February 9th 08, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

Last colored "muslin" was $8/yd for 108 inch wide. Don't remember on the
flannel but all have held up fine as far as I know.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old February 9th 08, 06:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_3_]

"maryd" wrote in message
I've never used sheets. Depending on the size and use I back with
flannel, cotton, muslin. Sometimes the back is a solid piece and
sometimes pieces again depending on size of quilt and backing.
Sometimes Joann's has color muslin 108 inches wide.

Do you remember what her colored muslin or flannel goes for a yard?
Also, how well does flannel backing hold up?

Thanks. I have to take a trip to JoAnns one of these days........

Old February 9th 08, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I do all hand quilting and do not like the feel of sheets. I use
muslin, usually unbleached. However, I have found that there are
various qualities of muslin, and recommend a higher quality than the
usual.
Old February 9th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_3_]

"Mary" wrote in message
I do all hand quilting and do not like the feel of sheets. I use
muslin, usually unbleached. However, I have found that there are
various qualities of muslin, and recommend a higher quality than the
usual.

I used muslim on my first few quilts and stopped because of excessive
wrinkling. And for some reason it had a cheap look. But that's just "me."

Old February 9th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Ms P

I've never used a sheet. I never will use a sheet. Some sheets can pill.
Yuck. I always use regular fabric for the back of bed size quilts and
muslin for the back of wall hangings.

My backings may not match the top but will at least go with the top. I like
a surprise when the quilt is turned over so they're sale fabric from the LQS
or HL. When it hits 2 bucks a yard at the LQS it's perfect for backings no
matter what it looks like.

I don't mind the seams in the backing. I put two seams in my backing so
there isn't one down the center. They wear better and look better that way.

--
Ms P, Queen of Scissors
http://community.webshots.com/user/MsB_Peacock

"Marie Dodge" wrote in message
What are you people using to back your quilts? Sheets? What thread count
do you all recommend? A flat sheet for a double bed is too narrow for a
full size quilt so are you buying Queens size sheets to back full size
quilts?

Old February 9th 08, 08:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Melanie Rimmer

Ms P wrote:
I've never used a sheet. I never will use a sheet. Some sheets can
pill. Yuck. I always use regular fabric for the back of bed size quilts
and muslin for the back of wall hangings.

My backings may not match the top but will at least go with the top. I
like a surprise when the quilt is turned over so they're sale fabric
from the LQS or HL. When it hits 2 bucks a yard at the LQS it's perfect
for backings no matter what it looks like.

I don't mind the seams in the backing. I put two seams in my backing so
there isn't one down the center. They wear better and look better that
way.

I don't use sheets for backing because I want my quilts to be made
entirely from similar quality and weight unwashed quilting cotton
fabric. Then when I wash it once it's finished, it all shrinks at a
uniform rate. I love the "antique" effect this gives. I worry that a
sheet would shrink differently and ruin the quilt. (Don't worry -
whenever I contribute a Hug block, I prewash the fabric I'm going to use
especially).
Old February 9th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Whatever I can find, especially if I don't have to piece it. Sheets if
necessary, although most of what's available to me is either a little boring
or way too colorful. Not usually a hand quilter, so I don't worry about
thread count. My favorite backing is actually a Bassetti cotton throw, super
quality Italian cotton with a lovely soft hand. These are easy to find, come
in several sizes, used as tablecloths or to cover up sofas (which makes less
sense to me since they are not heavy cotton!)
Roberta in D

Old February 9th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

What batting do you use? In my experience, cotton fabric shrinks very little
if at all. The crinkly look comes from cotton batting.
Roberta in D

"Melanie Rimmer" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Ms P wrote:
[...]

muslin as backing Anne Rogers[_3_] Quilting 32 August 21st 07 08:28 PM
bedsheets as backing Cats Quilting 0 November 8th 06 11:51 AM
backing sandra Quilting 2 February 8th 04 05:22 AM
rug backing BDS2pds Needlework 1 August 19th 03 02:07 AM
"Quilt" no backing? Joy Quilts Quilting 0 July 10th 03 09:18 PM