How far is TOO far?

Old July 6th 06, 07:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Long Arm vs Regular SM WAS How far is TOO far?

Jan: The guild has over 300 members,
IIRC. Some attend all/most meetings,
some attend some, some attend none. So,
the answer to your question: yes, a
person could join but not be active.
This challenge, btw, is NOT a show. The
finished projects will be displayed at
both chapter meetings in September. Only
PPQG (guild) members at the meeting will
vote, one vote per member. We do not
have judges. Prizes are not huge
FYI: this year the theme is:
"PPQG Celebrates Virginia: 1607-2007" in
honor of the birthday celebration that
will commence in October.
PAT in VA/USA

Jan wrote:

Pat, I'm curious... and not to take Leslie's thread too far off track...
but are there any limitations to keep someone from joining your guild by
paying dues, but not really showing up or participating until it came
time to show? And no I'm not planning on doing that.... but as I've
mentioned previously, I really enjoy the smaller guild shows... the ones
just held in the basements of churches with no juding, just the love of
quilting.. but lately those have changed dramatically. We went to one
about 5 months ago where the majority of the quilts were quilted by the
same person, same design, but not even bound yet... just a little sign
saying "under construction" And it was really pretty clear that they
were done on a computer guided thing too...... so.... not being a member
of a guild, I'm just curious if there is something to maybe say uhm...
well.... protect the integrity? of the smaller guild shows? That sounds
kind of snooty and quilt police like I realize, but .... well.. I
sincerely hate to see them look like walmart quilts......not that the
piecing wasn't spectacular.. but.. still....

Old July 6th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
frood

Default Guild members Long Arm vs Regular SM WAS How far is TOO far?

Our guild has a member who is a nationally recognized quilter. She is a
member for the workshops we hold. (I know because she told me) She does not
participate in the guild, except to attend workshops and classes we offer
(at a pittance!). As far as I can tell, she has not held office or served on
a committee. She's a Taker, not a Giver. What can we do? Nothing, I guess.
Knowing this side of her did really change how I felt about her as a quilt
artist, tho.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
"Jan" wrote in message
. 125.201...
Pat in Virginia wrote in news:X2crg.316588
$5Z.176769@dukeread02:

Sunny: I know what you mean!! My guild
has a challenge every year. This year, I
am the challenge co-diva with another
member. WE two set the rules. This time
our categories include SOLO projects:
ONE person ONLY; and TEAM projects: more
than one person, ALL of whom must be
GUILD MEMBERS. We feel this will 'level
the playing field' for those who do ALL
the work alone. You might suggest these
categories to your group.
PAT in VA/USA

[...]

RCTQ Coffee Diva

Old July 6th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jessamy

Default How far is TOO far?

this one for me is a work of art but not a quilt.

a quilt is a piece of sewn together fabric (PP, pieced, appliqué) layered
with batting and a backing - a whole cloth as was traditionally made by the
welsh is also a quilt - made to show off the skill of the needlewoman and
it still does today! :-)

the quilt is certainly not one a person would even consider using on a bid
if it had been made the right size for a bed - a WH could, if it had been
made larger, be used on a bed and so is still a quilt for me.

there are days when stuff I make for my personal satisfaction are on the
edge of art - certainly not a quilt one would consider for usage on a bed
and that's ok I do them for fun - to stretch the word quilt to the edge of
quiltiness and sometimes beyond and then I wander off an design a more
traditional pattern :-)

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

www.starforestquilts.com

Pat on her hill sent the link to me. The quilts are fabulous- just
gorgeous, BUT.... how far is too far??? I would be happier with
calling these "quilts" if the scenes in the quilts were of fabric and
appliqued. I would greatly admire the maker for searching out just the
right fabrics and turning and manipulating the fabrics to make a scene
of this magnitude and intricacy. I realize searching out a beautiful
scene and photographing it properly is an art in itself, but..... is it
what we generally think of as making a quilt top? Running fabric thru
a computer- is *that* making a quilt top?

I appreciate the quiltmakers who stretch their quiltmaking to the
limits and are always looking for something new and different. But at
the same time I have a problem with using printing and painting and
some other techniques. For me quiltmaking means piecing or appliquing-
with fabric- a quilt should have pictures that are appliqued if you
want a face or a flower or a scene- not printed or painted. (I know
"embellishments" have been around forever- where do you draw the
line???) Painting a flower on a piece of fabric and then quilting it
just doesn't seem like a "quilt" to me- altho if it has the layers and
the quilt stitching, I guess it's technically a type of whole cloth
quilt. And some fabric artists take raggedy chunks of fabric and toss
them together and call that a quilt- it's just not what I expect in a
"quilt".

*IF* you were The Honorary Quilt Police for a day how would you define
"A Quilt"? What would be a process or "substance" which would put it
over the edge? What are the basic "requirements" to define a
"quilt"??? Where does quiltmaking end and "textile artist" begin?

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO.

Old July 6th 06, 07:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Hi Sunny! I'm glad you popped in and anyone can always comment on
things. No particular skill level required.

I think the reason many long arm quilted quilts win over many home
machine quilted quilts is the detail in the quilting. In my guild we
have lots of women whose idea of quilted is stitch in the ditch only "so
it doesn't take away from the piecing". Stitch in the ditch alone just
isn't going to win a ribbon.

There are lots of ribbon winning and published quilters who quilt on
home machines and do wonderful work. Don't be discouraged. You can win
ribbons. Heck, I do and up against fabulous long arm quilted projects.

Here are a few home machine quilters so you can see the kinds of things
they do on regular old sewing machines.

Paula Reid http://www.battsintheattic.com/

Kathy Sandbach http://www.machinequiltlady.com/

Diane Gaudynski http://www.dianegaudynski.net/

Hari Walner and Harriet Hargrave also do wonderful stuff. I don't find
a website for Hari and no pictures on Harriet's website (shame on her!)

Keep quilting! Take machine quilting classes when you can. Enjoy it!

marcella

In article . com,
"S" wrote:

Even here in my little town, the
quilts that do the "best" in shows are either hand quilted (not even
remotely possible because of my fingers) or long arm quilted. I will
never afford a long arm and I can't even afford to send my quilts out
to be done by somebody else -- besides, isn't it supposed to be MY work
if I enter it as MY quilt? And if it's judged on the quality of MY
work, then why should the amazing work only possible on a long arm
quilter be considered?
I realize I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but I have
friends who are also novice quilters who talk about this same topic. We
all feel we will never be able to aspire to quilty recognition until
one of us wins the lottery and buys a long arm quilter.

sorry, I realize this went way off topic and became a rant. I promise
not to do t his too often.
Sunny

Old July 6th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
frood

Yeah, I know. And the ones who don't help are usually the ones who complain
the loudest about how things are done! Harumph. I love my guild, and I want
to help out so it continues to be an organization I'm proud to be a part of.
(ok, Grammar Police, sorry about that sentence!)

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Wendy: We have members who have not held office or served on a committee.
Some have never even done white glove duty. Other people contribute often
and generously of their time and talents. To paraphrase an old 80/20
maxim: "80% of the work is done by 20% of the members" Every social or
service club is like this. I just try not to let it bug me. I'm cool with
my own contributions.
PAT in VA/USA

Old July 6th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

[...]

Marcella, you beat me to the punch! G I was going to mention the same
quilters that you've mentioned above. They do exquisite machine quilting
on home machines, just like the ones available to the rest of us. It
gives us hope....
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old July 6th 06, 09:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article X2crg.316588$5Z.176769@dukeread02,
Pat in Virginia wrote:

Sunny: I know what you mean!! My guild
has a challenge every year. This year, I
am the challenge co-diva with another
member. WE two set the rules. This time
our categories include SOLO projects:
ONE person ONLY; and TEAM projects: more
than one person, ALL of whom must be
GUILD MEMBERS. We feel this will 'level
the playing field' for those who do ALL
the work alone. You might suggest these
categories to your group.
PAT in VA/USA

We also divide our categories by how many people participate in making
the quilt. Unfortunately or fortunately (depending on the point of view
G), the long-arm quilters in our area all belong to the guild, so your
guild's solution wouldn't work for us. G

Old July 6th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"frood" wrote:

Our guild has a member who is a nationally recognized quilter. She is a
member for the workshops we hold. (I know because she told me) She does not
participate in the guild, except to attend workshops and classes we offer
(at a pittance!). As far as I can tell, she has not held office or served on
a committee. She's a Taker, not a Giver. What can we do? Nothing, I guess.
Knowing this side of her did really change how I felt about her as a quilt
artist, tho.

--
Wendy

Wendy, I sympathize. We have a member who lives in the next state from
ours and is a nationally recognized long-arm quilter with many awards
and appearances on TV shows under her belt. She's also a spokesperson
for one brand of long-arm machine. She enters some of the same quilts
that have already taken national awards into our local show. Her stuff
is gorgeous, but I don't think it's fair of her to deprive someone less
well-known from enjoying a ribbon or two, especially since these quilts
have already been in far more prestigious shows than ours and since the
quilter attends absolutely *no* events here.

Old July 6th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati Cook

Leslie, from what I could see it looked like she did a photo to fabric
of some sort, then used that fabric to make quilts?? Are they not
pieced from the photo fabric??
I notice that many of the quilts in the gallery list someone else as the
quilter or are winners in group categories.

As to what is a quilt?? Well, the classic definition is that it is
composed of three layers, a top, batting/wadding, and back. Is fabric.
and is sewn together with thread through all three layers.
However, just as many other things in the world change, and without
change we all die.... so quilting has been and will change.
I look at it as a healthy growth that encourages ever more people to
join the quilting community.
One of the other groups I am a part of is the Society for Creative
Anachronism, which for many years "promoted" what they do as
"re-creating the Middle Ages, as they *should* have been. That is with
much of the good stuff in arts, crafts and so on, and without things
like plague and fleas and garderobes. G That group has also changed
and grown considerably over the years, and in a much shorter time than
quilting.
Some of the changes we have seen, or at least know about:
the advent of polyester battings. And of better cotton and cotton
blend ones, as well as washable wool batts.
the rotary cutter and all the rulers/templates and such that go along
with it.
the use of the sewing machine for both piecing and quilting.
photo transfers and photos printed directly on fabric.
wider fabrics, both for piecing and extra wide for backing.
many more prints available from a growing number of fabric manufacturers.
the poly-cotton blend fabrics, and back to 100% cotton fabrics.
use of fusibles for so many things
the plethora of thread types for piecing, appliquéing and quilting
new tools for marking quilts easier
much more accurate piecing
easier ways to design, lay out and finish quilts.

And so many more that it is difficult to think of many of them. VBG

Personally I think that quilts of any definition are textile art. If it
is used on a bed, in a bedroll, on a wall, by a kid, elderly person,
newlywed, or even a pet.
As long as fabric and comfort are included then I won't quibble. (I like
to make quilts backed with fleece which acts as batting and backing....
for here in Arizona that is plenty. and they are comfy-cozy.)

What would put it "over the edge"..... when it moves beyond fabric with
some embellishments and becomes embellishments attached to fabric. When
there is nothing at all comforting, to viewer/user or maker.
That is when I feel it moves beyond being any kind of quilt.
Quilts can be disturbing to view, or bring a kind of sadness (like the
9-11 quilts and some very personal "angst" quilts) but they generally
result in a sense of comfort or release for someone.

When I see a beautiful photo of a quilt and find that it is painted and
then quilted, I am disappointed. But it is still a quilt. And a piece of
art. Many people consider the quilts from Gee's Bend to be beautiful
pieces of art, but they were made as utility bed coverings. (And I am
not fond of them, personally.G ) The quilt I have that came from my
mother-in-laws family is gorgeous. It barely makes the "quilt"
definition because it was made in Georgia and has very little batting in
it. Made as a bed covering it is still a beautiful piece.

I make quilts to be used. But some of them may be used on the wall. Not
necessarily what I meant for them, but if that is what the recipient
wants, then so be it. They may not be sized for a bed, but are made to
be cuddled with, as a couch throw or whatever. My husband says they are
art, and his is the observation that all quilters are artists. Whether
they think they are or not.

Much too long,

Sorry bout that,

Pati, in Phx who has to get ready to head out for the annual AASK sew in
at the PAQA meeting today. And ice cream social after the business
meeting.......... VBG

Old July 6th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
blackrosequilts

Leslie & The Furbabies in MO. wrote:
*IF* you were The Honorary Quilt Police for a day how would you define
"A Quilt"?

I wouldn't. Makes it too easy to decide who's making a *real* quilt and
who isn't and use it as a means of judging someone and their quilts as
inferior in order to feel important and superior. Nuh uh.

--

blackrosequilts
My train of thought left the station without me.

2005 BOMs: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/blackrosequilts/my_photos