Squishie etiquette

Old November 28th 05, 07:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Squishie etiquette

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 13:08:50 -0500, "C & S"
wrote:

I was wondering if it is poor etiquette to send someone a squishie that came
from your own stash. If I'm in a quilt store and a fabric reminds me of
someone, I will buy it and send it off unwashed. However, there are times
when something from my stash would be perfect for that individual. The
quilts stores are seldom generous in their cutting of yardage and after
washing the fabric, my half yard barely has 18 inches. I can sometimes trim
the edge of the fabric to remove the frizzles and produce a FQ, but that is
not always the case. I'm thinking that if I leave the frizzle the person
will know that the fabric has been washed, but is that proper?

Sweetling anyone that complains that you washed the fabric before
squishing them probably doesn't deserve to have it sent to them in the
first place.
The exception being someone who writes you a polite note telling you
they have allergies or somesuch.

Size is inconsequential, it's the thought that counts.

Diana! Wendy!
I see those thoughts about sending me a bag of ravels passing through
your lil punkin heads!
I've got my eye on you you naughty things!

NightMist
--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old November 28th 05, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

YEP! (you do have my address, right?..........)

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old November 28th 05, 08:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm sure you could do something very interesting with a bag of ravels, you
clever girl!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old November 28th 05, 08:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Im busy making ravels as we speak. You must have isp.. er.. esp? extra
sewing perception.
I'm trying to fill one of those zip lock baggies.. the xxl ones before I
send it so dont hold your breath, ok?
Di

Old November 28th 05, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Carole:
I can only speak for myself. I would not be upset, or 'offended'
if I received fabric from someone's stash. Most of the squishies
I have sent have been from my own stash. I don't think squishy
fabric is required to be standard FQ. I have sent even odd shape
pieces if I think a certain person would want the specific color
or theme. Sometimes I send a stack of Charm Squares.
Just my never humble opinion.
PAT in VA/USA

C & S wrote:
I was wondering if it is poor etiquette to send someone a squishie that came
from your own stash. If I'm in a quilt store and a fabric reminds me of
someone, I will buy it and send it off unwashed. However, there are times
when something from my stash would be perfect for that individual. The
quilts stores are seldom generous in their cutting of yardage and after
washing the fabric, my half yard barely has 18 inches. I can sometimes trim
the edge of the fabric to remove the frizzles and produce a FQ, but that is
not always the case. I'm thinking that if I leave the frizzle the person
will know that the fabric has been washed, but is that proper?

Thanks

Old November 28th 05, 09:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

May I expand my previous answer to this thread? A few minutes
after I posted it, I went out to my mail box. Lo and behold, I
found a squishy!! It includes assorted cuts from the generous
donor's own projects. I *really* like that ... it means a
stronger connection between quilters. This is a really fantastic
squishy ... I am so excited with each gorgeous piece. Wheeeeee!
PAT, grinning in VA/USA

Old November 28th 05, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

oh Pat,
i must agree with you on this one.
leftovers from someones project is indeed special.
its fabric they choose to use in a quilt..
sharing that way is just so much more special to me.
dare i say scraps of useable size.
that said, i've used some small pieces in applique, lol.
even then its nice if you have enough for more than one leaf, one flower,
one whatever.
i feel a real connection when i use fabs someone else loved enough to make a
quilt with.
cheers,
jeanne

--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

Old November 28th 05, 10:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Although I don't know of a formal policy, I would say it's okay to use
your stash. Occasionally someone will mention that they are collecting
something or looking for something and I will find it in my stash and
mail it off to them.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old November 28th 05, 10:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I sure hope sending from ones stash is an "ok" thing to do! I'd be
hard pressed to do much squishin' if I had to go out and buy new ones
every time I wanted to squish.

As for size - if I have a large piece of something, I've tried to at
least cut a FQ or FE - but in some instances, I have sent less. I have
also sent out of my "scrap bag" if I know I am sending to someone who
does applique and might use a butterfly, cat, or flower for fussy
cutting or something. In those cases, I try to at least send a big
enough piece that the person gets at least one whole, if not two of the
designs on the fabric.

Tina

Old November 28th 05, 10:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Right now I'm collecting small green pictures of Benjamin
Franklin, and of Ulysses Grant. Heck, I'd even collect Lincoln,
Washington, and Hamilton. I'm saving for a long arm ... so it is
a quilting topic!
PAT

WitchyStitcher wrote:

Although I don't know of a formal policy, I would say it's okay to use
your stash. Occasionally someone will mention that they are collecting
something or looking for something and I will find it in my stash and
mail it off to them.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

What is a Squishie? Diana Curtis Quilting 0 January 5th 05 06:31 PM
What is a Squishie? FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 2nd 04 11:45 PM
Squishie Etiquette frood Quilting 11 August 10th 04 04:07 PM
Machine classes was squishie etiquette TinaHoak Quilting 1 April 4th 04 08:03 PM
squishie etiquette Morag Peers Quilting 32 March 31st 04 01:06 AM