Squishie etiquette

Old November 28th 05, 06:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Squishie etiquette

I was wondering if it is poor etiquette to send someone a squishie that came
from your own stash. If I'm in a quilt store and a fabric reminds me of
someone, I will buy it and send it off unwashed. However, there are times
when something from my stash would be perfect for that individual. The
quilts stores are seldom generous in their cutting of yardage and after
washing the fabric, my half yard barely has 18 inches. I can sometimes trim
the edge of the fabric to remove the frizzles and produce a FQ, but that is
not always the case. I'm thinking that if I leave the frizzle the person
will know that the fabric has been washed, but is that proper?

Thanks
--
Carole
Champlain, NY

Fine style does not make something true, nor has a man a wise soul
because he has a handsome face and well-chosen eloquence.

Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)

Old November 28th 05, 06:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I would have no problem with a pre-washed squishie from your stash, with
or without the frizzle. It doesn't have to be a fat quarter, either. I'm
in the directory or my address is available on request

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old November 28th 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"C & S" wrote in message
I was wondering if it is poor etiquette to send someone a squishie that
came
from your own stash.

No one has complained a bit when I do it. Just about every squishie I've
ever sent has been from stash.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

Old November 28th 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Most of my squishies that I send out are from my stash. Usually just
something I think a person might like. If I get an urge, say, to squish
Hortense, cuz I just read she loves strawberries and I know I have some
strawberry fabric, then I go cut some off, or send what I have. If I waited
until I went to the LQS, the urge would have passed. I do try to tuck the
frizzies inside, so it looks nicer, but I rarely trim before stuffing the
envelope.

I also don't measure the squishies I've recieved to see if they are a "full"
FQ. Heck, some of the funner ones have been small pieces!

I think the only poor etiquette in squishing would be if the person getting
it didn't thank the person sending it!

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

Old November 28th 05, 06:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

In article ,
"C & S" wrote:

I was wondering if it is poor etiquette to send someone a squishie that came
from your own stash. If I'm in a quilt store and a fabric reminds me of
someone, I will buy it and send it off unwashed. However, there are times
when something from my stash would be perfect for that individual. The
quilts stores are seldom generous in their cutting of yardage and after
washing the fabric, my half yard barely has 18 inches. I can sometimes trim
the edge of the fabric to remove the frizzles and produce a FQ, but that is
not always the case. I'm thinking that if I leave the frizzle the person
will know that the fabric has been washed, but is that proper?

Thanks

I think it's fine. Often we get a thread going about what people are
collecting and I hunt in my stash to see if I have what anyone is
looking for.

I usually trim the "frizzle" off the edge of pre-washed fabric so it
looks nicer.

Also, squishies can be any size of fabric, it doesn't have to be a fat
quarter.

marcella

Old November 28th 05, 07:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

"Morag in Oxford" wrote in message
I have never bought anything specifically with squishing in mind. It
always comes from my stash - FQ or not.

Good point -- I've also never had a complaint if a squish was not exactly a
FQ.

Old November 28th 05, 07:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Carole,

send whatever your heart tells you to send. if it's washed just say so- no
biggie everyone loves a squishy in the mail and size etc. are of lesser
importance.

--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old November 28th 05, 07:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

C & S wrote:

I was wondering if it is poor etiquette to send someone a squishie that came
from your own stash.

I've always given quilty friends fabric
from my own stash. FQ or F8s.

-- Anita --

What is a Squishie? Diana Curtis Quilting 0 January 5th 05 06:31 PM
What is a Squishie? FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 2nd 04 11:45 PM
Squishie Etiquette frood Quilting 11 August 10th 04 04:07 PM
Machine classes was squishie etiquette TinaHoak Quilting 1 April 4th 04 08:03 PM
squishie etiquette Morag Peers Quilting 32 March 31st 04 01:06 AM