OT- Gas Prices

Old September 1st 05, 01:26 PM
bdiane

This is what I am talking about. Why do we not have cars that get
better gas milage and what are Americans thinking buying SUVS after
many of them experienced the gas shortages in the 1970's??? I have a
tiny car fearing all the SUVs on the road that Toyota put out with
better gas milage and paying the taxes of the road wear damage from the
SUV's. Americans! Time to care!!! This is twice in your life time for
manywith a big blinking sign !!! Pay attention. Don't buy the SUVs.
Tell them you won't buy them. Tell American car makers you want the
cars they have in the works but did not put into the production line
because they could make more money today selling the SUVs.

Old September 1st 05, 03:17 PM
Taria

I'd still like to know how much of what you all pay is taxes, not the
actual cost of gas/diesel. I am ok without any sympathy. I buy what
I can afford to and stay home when I can't.
Taria

Kate Dicey wrote:

bdiane wrote:

Could someone in the UK tell people what you pay for gas? When we
lived over there it was a LOT and that was in 1990. Do share.

It was 90p a litre in the middle of the month, before Katrina blew up,
which is about $6.15 per US gallon. Recent events have affected the
price by a couple of pence per litre. I'm afraid your recent price
hikes leave us a little cold, and, as a country, rather unsympathetic
(however sympathetic I feel personally for friends on the group). Looks
like you may end up with either another goodly price hike or rationing.

We run on diesel, and the Ibiza does about 55 UK miles per Imperial
gallon. We run one car.

Old September 1st 05, 03:28 PM

Our prices in our town jumped and I just paid 2.89 to fill up. It is up
to 3.09 in some places around here. I never really had to go many places
being retired but looks like I won't be going anywhere even if I want if
they keep jumping prices. Michele

Old September 1st 05, 04:50 PM
Butterfly

Capital letters for emphasize NOT yelling.......for those that don't know
me, yet.

Just another 'take' on SUV's:
Mine is PAID FOR, mine is 10 years old. I can NOT afford a new car of any
kind. My trips are to/ from the Dr and grocery store (on my good days)...and
once a year a Quilt Show down state
I can get IN and OUT of a SUV--I have to be LIFTED out of a small car and my
DH can no longer do that. I no longer drive but I could DRIVE the SUV
without any trouble----I knew where the wheels were and could even parallel
park with one. I, also, can lie down in the back when we go on longer
trips....and I have more than once.
My DS bought a pick-up because it is easier for ME to get in and out of. DD
has a small car but she lives in the LA area and I do have quite a time
riding with her...so I don't anymore. And yes, we lived thru the '70's.

Butterfly

oups.com...

Old September 1st 05, 05:56 PM
Mika

DH and I were talking about it yesterday and he gets so infuriated about the
whole thing. He has a funky way of looking at things sometimes but it often
makes sense. He said those big oil companies should have insurance to pay
for things like this so that the price of recovery is not so immediately
destructive to the customers, especially the people who are already in a
state of emergency. I still say Dubya should have stepped in and put a
freeze on gas and oil prices before they started going up. But then that
would have hurt him since he is a big oil man. Just goes to show where his
priorities are. I agree with you about Spitzer or someone investigating it
here though. It's just wrong what they are doing.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"ALZ" wrote in message
There is a law in NYS that you can only raise gas prices once every 24
hours, but it is being ignored. The thing is the gas they are charging
more for is gas that they already had and paid a lower price for.
Someone is taking advantage of this. If Eliot Spitzer really wants to
be governor, he will do a throrough investigation.
Linda (who cancelled her trip to see her daughter in Delaware this
weekend)
PATCHogue, NY

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 23:47:04 -0400, "Mika"
wrote:

I couldn't believe it. DH and I went to Walmart this evening and gas
around
her had hit $3.29/gal. That sad thing about living on Long Island is that
you have to pay to get on or off the island and that cause the cost of
EVERYTHING here to be high. It's ridiculous that the government isn't
stepping in and putting a price cap on gas or doing something.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

"ALZ" wrote in message
. ..
Gas prices have gone up TWICE today. From 8:30 to 1:00, they jumped 20
cents a gallon and I was just out at 4:00 and they are up another 10
cents a gallon!

I can't believe someone isn't making oodles on this and using the
hurricane as an easy excuse.

Linda
PATCHogue, NY

Old September 1st 05, 06:01 PM
Roberta

wrote:

I couldn't believe it. DH and I went to Walmart this evening and gas
around
her had hit $3.29/gal. That sad thing about living on Long Island is that
you have to pay to get on or off the island and that cause the cost of
EVERYTHING here to be high. It's ridiculous that the government isn't
stepping in and putting a price cap on gas or doing something.

Mika
http://community.webshots.com/user/mikasdrms

Can Mr. Bush do that? (freeze prices that is) I know it has been done
on a state level (in GA)

Roberta (in VA)

Old September 1st 05, 06:45 PM
Diana Curtis

You just proved the danger of blanket statements. SUVs in and of
themselves arent a bad thing any more than things like disposable toilet
cleaners or mop heads are. For those people who need a vehicle such as
yours the need is clear and acceptable. For me an SUV would be a
wasteful use of resources. I am quite capable of scrubbing a toilet
without having to throw away the scrubber each time, but for someone who
isnt physically able to use my methods a disposable is quite another
story. If a swiffer means youre able to keep your floor clean when
traditional mops might lay you up for a week, so be it.
We need to take the lessons of the 70's and apply them, but lets not
lose sight of common sense. Fair doesnt always mean equal.
Diana, wishing Bfly could still putter around in the SUV.

Old September 1st 05, 07:04 PM
Taria

When you have a lot of money you don't pay for insurance. You 'self
insure'. In the end it usually works to your advantage. Presidents
have limits to what they can do. I'm not sure what they are in this
case.
TAria

Old September 1st 05, 08:33 PM
Mika

"Roberta" wrote in message

Can Mr. Bush do that? (freeze prices that is) I know it has been done on
a state level (in GA)

Roberta (in VA)

Well, he waived the clean air restrictions on the gas so I don't know why he
can't put a price cap on it. Even if he can't cap it, he can get the word
out to the governors of each state to do it on the state level and fine any
state that does not comply.

Old September 1st 05, 09:07 PM
ALZ

There were gas price controls in the mid 70s when it began to creep up
to 60 cents a gallon with the first energy crisis. There were also
price controls and rationing during the depression.
Linda
PATCHogue, NY

SM prices online? muse9 Quilting 37 January 1st 05 06:32 PM
New Sewing Machines Forsale ! Huge Selection ! Low Prices ! Walmart Marketplace 0 December 29th 04 09:19 PM
[ADVERT] Online guide to gemstone prices Tana Jewelry 0 May 17th 04 01:42 AM
Have diamond prices dropped over the past 2 years? P.Nichols Jewelry 9 October 15th 03 05:45 AM
OT OT People fed up with gas prices being jerked around in Canada Suzanne N. Fernandes Needlework 12 September 1st 03 02:25 PM