Handquilting question

Old November 4th 04, 02:53 PM
Mika

Default Handquilting question

Well I finally got my 30+ year old quilt top on the quilt frame to give
handquilting a try. When I was in Vegas last month I found some straw
needles at Sandy's fabulous LQS, Quiltique. So now I'm ready to begin
quilting. In fact I tried a few stitches last night after we finished
tightening the top on the frame. My question is, how in the world do you
get 12 - 14 stitches per inch when the needle bends and the sandwich is so
pliable? I feel like I need 3 more hands. My stitches are not coming out the
way I want them to. As much as I try I cannot get the needle to pull up from
underneath close to the previous stitch the way I want it to. I need a hand
underneath to guide the needle and one on top to hold the sandwich in place
and this doesn't include the hand that holds the needle. What am I doing
wrong?

Also, I think I may have asked this awhile back but I can't remember. So I'm
going to ask again and hope that you all will forgive my short memory. When
doing hand quilting do you double the thread or use a single thread? I
started out with a single thread but I almost feel like I need a double.
Don't know why just feel that way. What do you all do?

Oh yeah, anyone who wants to come by for a visit and add a few stitches is
most welcome. I'll put on a pot of coffee and I could probably be talked
into whipping up a batch of my Chocolate Delight. ;-)

Hugs,
Mika

Old November 4th 04, 02:57 PM
taria

From what I know straw needles are for appliqué work. Way too
long and fine for quilting.
TAria

Old November 4th 04, 02:58 PM
Mika

Ok I can buy that. Someone had suggested them awhile back but now that I
think of it, that was in reference to hand piecing a top, not quilting it.
So maybe that will solve part of the problem if not all. I will change my
needle and see how that goes. Thanks Taria for that info.

Mika

"taria" wrote in message
From what I know straw needles are for appliqué work. Way too
long and fine for quilting.
TAria

Old November 4th 04, 03:03 PM
Jessamy

You need a "between" to quilt - a size 10 does wonders! Maybe the quilt is
too loose for you in the frame.. try different taughnesses (sp?). Also don't
expect to get *that* many stitches to the inch when you start... most start
with a lot less.. even the experts started with larger stitches
Are you using hand quilting thread? its a tad thicker than normal thread

HTH
--
Jessamy
In The Netherlands

Old November 4th 04, 03:24 PM
Denise Jameson in Ontario

You need a 'between' needle and ONE thread of hand quilting thread.
Start with size 9 and perhaps work up to a smaller needle once you get
the hang of it. Size 10 works great for most quilters and the very
experienced handquilters probably like a 12. Don't worry too much
about the length of your stitches just yet (i.e. stitches per inch),
but rather concentrate on getting them even. With practice, they'll
get smaller. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

You're too far from me to come show you how, but hey...you can send me
your chocolate delights in the mail! ;-) yummmmm

Denise in Ontario, Canada

Old November 4th 04, 05:43 PM
Ellison

Howdy!
What Denise said. ;-)

Also, I don't use a frame; too much trouble to bend over the frame,
too cumbersome to move around it, too much time consumed in
rolling the quilt, re-rolling the quilt, then bending over it again.
I like my 12" or 14" hoop. Just my preference. ;-D

Try several brands of quilting/betweens needles. Some are better,
some bend more, some have an eye that's too sharp and will cut
your thread while you're quilting (due to poor production/finishing
at the factory). They're not expensive. Stock up. When a needle
gets bent, change it.

Get some finger cots, at a quilt shop, on-line shop, or the office supply
store
(cheap ones used for counting money or shuffling papers). They're good
for grabbing that needle.
Coats&Clark and Gütermann HANDquilting threads are great;
the C&C is a poly/cotton mix I've never had a problem with; you'll only
need one strand. I cut the thread at about 12" inches, that way it doesn't
get worn down too fast (esp. if there's a sharp eye on that needle),
doesn't tangle, doesn't get hooked around a pin (I pin baste), and no
thread goes on for too long
(if someone were to somehow cut into one of those stitches
or pull it, only 12" of quilting stitches would get pulled out).
I don't leave more than 3" of unquilted space in any direction (usually
only about 2" of open space is all I allow). Don't pull your thread too
tightly.

Some quilters like to "warm up" before they get to the big project;
have a scrap sandwich (top, batting, backing) that you can take a few
stitches in, get the feel for quilting, then go to the real quilt.

One other thing: I never count stitches. And I'm a professional
handquilter. g I just don't care how many stitches per inch,
as long as they look good.

Good luck. Have fun with this.

Ragmop/Sandy--in beautiful north Texas

Old November 4th 04, 05:44 PM
Mika

Now I'm really going to show my ignorance on handquilting. I was just using
regular sewing thread. Guess that would make a big difference huh?! LOL. Ok
so I'll go with a different needle and thread and see how that works. Thank
you for reminding me about the quilting thread. I think I probably do need
to tighten the whole thing up on the frame a bit. Considering this top is
one I started over 30 years ago when I was still in high school, some of the
seams are not straight and there are overlaps on some of them. So it's not
going to be real taught anyway. Until I started putting it on the frame I
didn't realize just how many booboos it had in it.

Mika

Old November 4th 04, 05:55 PM
Mika

Thanks for the suggestions Denise. I appreciate it. What part of Ontario are
you in? DH was in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. When I can figure out a way
to send it through the mail without it getting ruined I will certainly send
you some. I just haven't figured that out yet.

Mika

Old November 4th 04, 06:16 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

I think the Thimble Lady likes long piecing needles for hand quilting.
Jeana Kimball also likes her long straw needles for hand quilting -
although I find her needles to be more sturdy than other brands. It
seems most hand quilters use betweens in various sizes though none are
long. So, you may want to play with the needle. I,personally, think
good needle control is the secret to a good stitch.

With that in mind, how does your thimble fit? Does the needle have a
place to sit in the thimble so it doesn't slide around on you?

Yes, you are right, most hand quilters use a single thread. I did see a
quilt once quilted with two strands of thread and I thought it looked
very odd. It took me a while to figure out what was different about it
though. If you feel that your stitches just don't show enough, perhaps
you have a thread that is too thin. Thread labeled "handquilting" is
typically thicker so maybe that's the route to go.

I am going to assume you are doing the traditional rocking stitch. Down
goes the needle (perpendicular to the quilt top) when the tip is through
the back side you will rock the needle back nearly flat with the quilt
(no pushing though - that whole needle control issue comes in to play
here) with your lower hand push up on the needle, with your upper hand
- the thimble is holding the needle and your thumb pressed down on the
fabric in front of your under-finger - this will fold the fabric in a
little cliff. Then push the needle through the top.

If you push while you rock the needle back you will end up with a big
old stitch on the back. If you don't compress the fabric with your
under finger and your top thumb it is really easy for the needle to
slide between the layers for quite a distance before the needle comes
out the top. This will make a little stitch on top and a little stitch
on the back with a big gap between the two. The goal with the
traditional rocking stitch is to have the needle enter and exit the
fabric perpendicular to the quilt top so that stitches look more like
this

l_l-l_l-l_l-

rather than
/-\_/-\_/

sorry, I'm rather graphically challenged when typing, but hopefully that
gives you an idea of what I am trying to say.

Usually when students tell me they need a third hand it's because they
are using the thimble and a finger or two to hold the needle and then
don't have a thumb or finger to press down on the quilt top.

marcella

Old November 4th 04, 06:34 PM
Butterfly

As you requested: