Who all Got New Machines and What kind

Old December 26th 03, 10:02 PM
I.E.Z.

"The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me" wrote in message
Yes, DH and I bought one of these in November as my Christmas present

and it is the best machine I have ever had.
Iris

Iris-

I thought you got a *Janome* 6500..... she got a *Brother* 6500. Now,
I'm all corn-fused! :-(

Leslie & The FOUR Furbabies

Oops, it was a Janome 6500 I bought. You'll have to excuse me - I was up
all last night - food poisoning?? -- and I'm still not with it.

Iris - munching saltines and hoping to stay out of the bathroom.

Old December 26th 03, 10:14 PM
Kate Dicey

Diana Curtis wrote:

I almost got a brand new fancy machine from my MIL. When DH told me she had
gotten me one I asked him to nicely tell her to return it and get her money
back. She had put it on lay away for 2 years thinking I needed a better
machine.
By now youre probably thinking Im some sort of ungrateful Scrooge of a
DIL, and youre right.... nah, Im kidding. heehee..
Here is the rest of the story. MIL is far away and doesnt know anything
about sewing or quilting. She doesnt know that my 30 year old Bernina does
everything I need a machine to do. Her choice of machine was expensive but
from a manufacturer we more normally associate with electronic gizmos... was
it Sanyo, Samsung?? Maybe Jalynne can remember for me. All I could think of
was that this Christmas my MIL was going to waste an awful lot of money on a
machine I wouldnt use, and couldnt unload at a decent price, not in good
conscience.
Instead I got some nice things I will use.
So, after dealing with figuring out how to have MIL return the machine
without letting her know that I knew, and without hurting her feelings, what
did I do? Got myself two older Singers, a Fashion Mate and a 99, and a low
end serger, to see if I enjoyed serging. And I have a White Treadle in a
parlor cabinet at my brothers waiting for me to pick it up.
Maybe I should tell her how many machines I really have. Maybe not.
Diana

Oh, do let her know, at some appropriate but not Christmas related time.
If she understands that you are a Dedicated Collector of Old Sewing
Machines, she may think you a tad eccentric (not necessarily a baaad
thing... ) and will leave machine acquiring to you. She may then ask
you what sewing related thing you'd really like, at which point you
could tell her one or two specific things (such as a Really Big rotary
cutter and mat set, Ott Lamp, or whatever), and both of you can be sure
you will get something for which you really do appreciate her
generosity.

My parents bought me the latest thing in mid range Singers for my 21st,
back in the 70's. THEY felt guilty when it turned out to be a lemon,
but Singer was still riding high on it's old rep at that point. I felt
a bit guilty at selling it 3 years later (it provided the deposit for
the Frister & Rossmann Cub 8 on which I made my wedding dress), but it
provided us all with a valuable lesson or two: Try BEFORE you buy, and
Consult the Recipient!

--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old December 26th 03, 10:37 PM
The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me

Iris, you poor dear, hope you get feeling better and outta the bathroom
soonest.... :-)

Leslie envious of that Janome 6500 is why I 'membered!

The HairyFacedOnes 'N Me- My dogs aren't my whole life...they make my
life whole.

RCTQ- Houston 2004..... A good friend will come and bail you out of
jail.... but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...
that was fun!"

http://community.webtv.net/kwiltchik/FromTheFOUR

Old December 27th 03, 12:48 AM
Johanna Gibson

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:01:26 -0600, Julia in MN
wrote:

My husband gave me the Carol Doak Foundation Factory CD (of course, I
had to tell him exactly what I wanted and where to shop for it, so it
wasn't a big surprise).

My grandkids gave me a pack of fat quarters -- 8 medium blue prints. My
3yo DGS picked them out. They also gave me a case for carrying quilt
projects and some small tools to classes, etc. That's something that
wasn't on my list, but looks like it will be nice to have.

Julia in MN

For my birthday on the 17th, my friend Nikki gave me some metallic
Mettler thread, plus Mettler needles and a small pincushion which has
a cat in a flowerpot printed on one side. (At least she knows what I
like!)
For Christmas, I received 2 quilty things, so things are looking up!
Mat's parents gave me a year's subscription to Australian Patchwork &
Quilting, and I also received a stack of fat quarters from Beatrice in
Berlin. Some of the purples and lime greens are fantastic together,
then there's a nice blue which looks like a wrinkled rayon texture (I
kept touching it to make sure it was smooth cotton) and all sorts of
nice things. She does not know that I have the entire set of "At Home
in the Woods" wrapped up in many FQs of tone-on-tones for her, in
order for her to play "pass the parcel" to work out what is in the
middle. Hee hee!
We're off to Berlin in 2 weeks to see her and her family and eat our
way across Germany (or at least Berlin). Wish us luck!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old December 27th 03, 03:25 AM
Sharon Harper

I received some FQs/half metres of fabric (not all of which were to my
taste, however I don't believe in complaining - the fabric will tell me
where it wants to go!) and a patchwork diary for 2004 which has some
gorgeous quilts in it but they forgot to give the patterns! Silly
publishers what were they thinking?

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Queen of Down Under)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html

"Emilia" wrote in message
I didn't get any quilty gifts...
But it was a lovey day anyway...

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in news:bshd34$c0v$01$1
@news.t-online.com:

A digital camera for photographing them!
Roberta in D

"Julia in MN" wrote in

message

http://mail.chartermi.net/~jaccola/

Old December 27th 03, 04:03 AM
melinda

Sharon Harper wrote:
I received some FQs/half metres of fabric (not all of which were to my
taste, however I don't believe in complaining - the fabric will tell me
where it wants to go!) and a patchwork diary for 2004 which has some
gorgeous quilts in it but they forgot to give the patterns! Silly
publishers what were they thinking?

I haven't got anything quilty yet, but mum & dad got us and DSis and
her DH matching BBQs! DS got his first truck, two bears clothes and
some other stuff. DSis got me a nice all purpose rug with iries on it,
my fav flower!

--
Melinda
http://cust.idl.com.au/athol
Old December 27th 03, 04:29 AM
David & Barbara Schmidt

I got a pair of pinking shears which i desperately needed and a quilting
frame (the plastic PVC pipe type)! and some plastic tubs to help me sort
out my stash.

Babs

Old December 27th 03, 04:31 AM
David & Barbara Schmidt

Oh yeah- and a Quilt calendar with some wonderful Antique quilts in it.

Non- quilty stuff, I got some clothes I wanted.

Old December 27th 03, 12:12 PM
Nbhilyard

Ditto for the 10 FQs I got. The fact that the granddaughters (9 and 7) chose
them for me at Joann's makes up for not-being-what-I'd-get-for-myself. I'll
use 'em sometime!

I received some FQs/half metres of fabric (not all of which were to my
taste, however I don't believe in complaining - the fabric will tell me
where it wants to go!)

Nann in Winthrop Harbor, Illinois
"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that
one is always making exciting discoveries."
A. A. Milne
Old December 27th 03, 12:34 PM
Denise G.

I didn't get any gifts, but I bought myself EQ5 and it arrived the day
after Christmas. It looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

Denise in NH