OT what puts you in the Christmas mood?

Old November 27th 03, 08:03 PM
Dr. Quilter

Xmas does not put me in the spirit. We have actually stopped decorating
in the last few years, it is just the two of us and it is such a chore.
Back home Xmas is about family, and religious people go to church. We
have both a tree and a creche under it. Don't know what came first, but
I suspect it started with the creche since people are so religious in
Spain, and the tree must have been added later on due to the northern
european traditions. Not sure what they celebrate in Italy, the other
main cultural influence, but if I remember correctly from the time I
lived there in 94, even the pope puts up a tree on the Vatican square,
maybe even with a creche under it, and then during the midnight mass
walks a life sized carving or statue of baby jesus from there back in,
or something like that. But the thing is, kids don't get presents until
Jan. 6th, the 3 wise men come in their camels (you don't leave cookies
and milk, but grass and water) and leave presents on your shoes left
under the tree on the night of the 5th.

We have been wondering what we'll do with the kid, since she'll live
here and we are not really in tune with all the traditions. So far,
we've been able to live around them, being adults and all, but I don't
want her to feel too different. Since we are not religious, we are
thinking of going back to the origins and celebrate the solstice on Dec.
21st (I've actually been sending solstice e-cards for a few years). If
you live this far north, that is truly a thing to celebrate, your days
will start getting longer! Sofia will get presents before the other
kids, and we wouldn't be hypocrits!

Ruth in Happy Camp wrote:

I'm neither an appreciator nor a bah-humbugger. Holidays, birthdays, etc.,
were never a special occasion when I was small. For years, there simply was
no money then when there was a bit, my dad felt such things were not worth
bothering with (and it was "his" money). On the up side, I was always able
to work holidays (without martyrdom) so co-workers could enjoy them. If I'd
had children, things would have been very different for them.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message

I am so glad you did post! You are right, not everyone can feel the joy of
Christmas, and its ok! Lots of people feel the same pressures you do, in
trying to create the perfection they believe makes a happy holiday time.
Maybe its time for you to change the rules. Do not give any presents
unless the item screams at you that the recipient will love it...
Send cards to only those people you love to send cards to. Change your
perceptions of Christmas and how you deal with it and it may become a

joyous

time for you, and if it doesnt, life will go on.
How about this for an over the top suggestion.. take all the money you

would

have spent on gifts and cards and spring a surprise party for some little
kids who wouldnt get anything otherwise.. and be there.. dress as Mrs
Claus... be silly.. have fun..
Go caroling...make snow angels...(do you get snow?) put mistletoe on your
hat and demand kisses from people you like...
All said and done, your attitude is normal. Its the bah humbuggers that
worry me.
Hugs,
Diana

--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

"Patti" wrote in message

Christmas is probably the most difficult time of the whole year for me.
For more years than I care to remember, this has been the case. I'm not
a crusty old Scrooge-type character at all. But, I have never been able
to have children and enjoy that aspect; I am never sure I have chosen
presents right; or sent cards to all the people I should have done; done
all the cooking; got enough shopping in to see us over the holiday
period, and so on. It always feels to me like I am sitting final exams
- will I pass or fail. I try to forget the superficials and concentrate
on the central meaning and purposes of Christmas, even though that is
difficult. However, then I long to have children or grandchildren to
bring up in the ways of real values, and I haven't any. So, when you
are all feeling joyous, I am truly glad for you; but please don't be too
hard on those of us for whom it is difficult or impossible.
I am not raining on anyone's parade. Happiness and joy are wonderful
gifts. Would that there were more of them about.
I probably shouldn't post this, but I think I will? You did ask!
.
In article , Diana Curtis
writes

Or, if nothing does, how come?

Diana, not being nosy, just being curious.
--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker
http://photos.yahoo.com/lunamom44

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old November 27th 03, 10:03 PM
Patti

Neeps and tatties!!
..
In article , Dr. Quilter
writes
me too! turnips are great.... DH has a scottish friend who brought us
haggis once, with a recipe to make it with turnips and potatoes (nips
and tats? sth like that). it also included whiskey! mmmhhhh - I love
stews!

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 27th 03, 10:10 PM
Kate Dicey

"Dr. Quilter" wrote:

me too! turnips are great.... DH has a scottish friend who brought us
haggis once, with a recipe to make it with turnips and potatoes (nips
and tats? sth like that). it also included whiskey! mmmhhhh - I love
stews!

'Chappit neeps' and mashed potatoes, served separately. There are
directions for chappit neeps on my web site, in the Scots section, along
with the haggis recipe...

You should pour a neat dram over the haggis, like sauce. Choose a good
malt, not a blend.

This is a traditional Burns Night supper (January), and should be
followed by Cloutie Dumpling and cream.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk

Old November 28th 03, 05:07 PM
Jalynne

The most important thing you can do for your child in this case would be to make your
own traditions. Don't worry so much about what the people around you are doing, you
have to choose your own way.
--
Jalynne