OT what puts you in the Christmas mood?

Old November 21st 03, 05:49 PM
Diana Curtis

Default OT what puts you in the Christmas mood?

Or, if nothing does, how come?

Diana, not being nosy, just being curious.
--
Queen of FAQs
Royal Peace Maker

Old November 21st 03, 06:05 PM
frood

I've been ready for Christmas mentally for about a month now. I wanted to go
straight from Halloween to Christmas! Usually, my DH insists that nothing be
decorated until after Thanksgiving. However, he and I have both bought
several Christmas things on eBay lately, and those are sitting around. For a
long time, we had a plastic Santa next to a ceramic jack o'lantern! Makes
for kind of a Nightmare Before Christmas look!

I love doing baking for Christmas! Getting the packages of cookies ready to
be delivered to the neighbors always perks me up!

--
Wendy
de-fang email address to reply

Old November 21st 03, 06:06 PM
Jan Dunaway

The day after turkey day! :-) We pull out the Christmas CDs and put up
the tree etc. I love it!! :-)

Jan

Old November 21st 03, 06:14 PM
CNYstitcher

music...Christmas hymns, not the commercial stuff.......knowing that it
is approaching the end of the year.....knowing that my sons face will
light up..........

Old November 21st 03, 06:15 PM
CNYstitcher

I would have said family, but we are too far away from everyone sigh
Oh, and thanksgiving....that's when I start saying we need to get the
decorations out...lol

Old November 21st 03, 06:36 PM
kim in cville va

Starting the the gifts I'm making for people! I have to start early enough
to get them done, and it means that everytime I'm working on them I'm
thinking about who I'm giving them to and hoping they like them, which leads
to the thoughts of who we're visiting or being visited by and when, and what
kinds of things I want to cook (cookies and fudge!), etc., etc., etc. I
noticed that since I started quilting, the holiday season starts sooner...
Speaking of cooking, is a 22 pound turkey a lot for 4 poeple? :P
--kim in cville va

Old November 21st 03, 06:39 PM
Lynne Van

Oddly enough...American Thanksgiving gets me started, too. It
reminds me that the first Sunday in Advent is coming up, and I
try to get the tree up that weekend (it's artificial) start
doing my cards, and so on. I usually have school work to do
sometime before the 15th, so getting the decorating done early
helps me be able to relax a bit and enjoy the season.

This year it will be a day to day process as we wait and see how
things are with my Dad. However, I'm still planning to do the
tree stuff next weekend,if things stay the same, and will enjoy
it even though there is an underlying sadness this year.

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

Old November 21st 03, 06:55 PM
Jalynne

it's the beginning of Advent that does it to me, too. I get to start decorating next
Saturday...yippeeeee

--
Jalynne

Old November 21st 03, 06:59 PM
Diana In Dallas

Every year the week before Halloween I send my oldest sister
an Angel for her collection. (My sister puts her tree up Halloween week.)
Then I watch the mail for my box from my sister inside a new snowman &
nutcracker for my collection and candy Brach's peppermint nougats.
When these arrive I dig out my Nutcrackers and snowmen which by the way
are now on my mantle. I rearranged the furniture to make room for the tree
just yesterday. The tree well it usually goes up the day after Thanksgiving,
but this year I will be all alone the day before so me thinks the tree might
go up on that day.

Diana in Dallas
(temperature here today 73 not exactly Christmas weather)

Old November 21st 03, 07:12 PM
Chipper

I LOVE Christmas music and have a huge collection of it. That being the
case, waiting until after Thanksgiving doesn't give me much time to enjoy
it. Sooooo, our tradition is to begin playing Christmas music Nov. 1st.
There are so many beautiful versions from Choral to music box renditions,
classical to soft jazz...that seem to convey the richness of the message. I
have a rendition of the harp solo in Benjamin Brittan's "Ceremony of
Carols", that is so evocative, I swear I can hear the individual stars
breaking through the deep blackness of the sky on that long ago
night...sigh.
(I have to admit, the 'rockin around the xmas tree versions don't send me
, but I can listen to 'A Charlie Brown Christmas' any time!)
Then there are the tackier aspects of the holidays that DD and I really
enjoy spotting as they crop up around town, reminding us that the season is
sneaking up on us. For example, there is a Hardees that has the most
tinsel-reindeer-santa-sparkleswacky decorations each year...we always get a
kick out of those, as well as the various trees on the downtown bank,
insurance buildings etc. Baptist Hospital puts a huge Moravian star, a
local tradition, on their building.
Another get-in-the-mood lift is DD's tradition of getting her Christmas
videos out to watch, BUT not until she sees the first live Christmas tree
lot. So far, some of them have their stands and lights up, so she's
anxiously awaiting this weekend for the trees to show. Sometimes we spot
them coming from the mountains on big, piney smelling trucks. Fun! She is
14, and this really gives her an excuse to forget being 'cool' and be a
little kid again.
I think, all in all, it's what you make it, and having your own set of fun
things that you allow yourself to look forward to, rather than feeling
coerced to 'be in the spirit'.
chipper