OT Halloween Horror Nights Rant

Old October 6th 03, 01:11 PM
Johanna Gibson

On 04 Oct 2003 00:49:45 GMT, uckoo (Nurse Ratched)
wrote:

Here is the reply I got from Universal. Apparently, their view is, as long as
the characters are fictional it's OK.....??????

Thank you for visiting Universal Orlando Online.

Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando is far more intense than the
typical theme park Halloween event. We communicate the intense nature of
our event to our guests by using characters such as The Director so that
they can make informed decisions about whether or not this event is for
them. He is a fictional character that we bring to life and - like
Halloween Horror Nights itself - he's not tied to real world people or
events.

From Rock the Universe to Mardi Gras to Halloween Horror Nights, Universal
Orlando offers a wide range of events for a wide range of tastes and
demographics. We use our advertising to make sure people understand that.

We always appreciate feedback from our guests and we will use the
information in our ongoing event planning and promotional efforts.

Please keep watching us here at
http://www.universalorlando.com, as we will
have many exciting and new developments in the next few months.

Best Regards,

Guest Services

Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
We'll all get back to normal if we put our nation first,
But the trouble with "normal" is, it always gets worse. ~Bruce Cockburn

Does no one care anymore for anything other than making a buck?

-- Jo in Scotland
Old October 6th 03, 02:31 PM
Pat in Virginia

Royce, I did not receive any of that email. I do think the
message is a bit bizarre when this "Blau" claims Halloween as a
Wiccan holiday! After all, the word Halloween is a contraction of
the old term "All Hallows Eve" which is the Eve of All Saints
Day, a Holy Day to some Christian Churches. So, I'd always had
the impression that it was connected with ASD, in a more secular
form of course. And I DO wonder who are these people "Blau"
mentions ... 'the silly xians' ... is that a new group?? Who ever
they are, it is not polite for this "Blau" to call them silly.
After all no one here has disparaged her Wiccan group. The
complaint about unwonted cruelty is not about the Wiccans ...
unless "Blau" has information I don't have?!
PAT

Royce wrote:

Hey everyone, here's a copy of a response to this thread that was sent to me
privately. Did any of you who agreed with Nurse get this also?

Royce
A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Old October 6th 03, 03:30 PM
Nurse Ratched

'the silly xians'

"Xians" is apparently an abbreviation for "Christians", using the same
convention as "Xmas" = "Christmas".

BTW, using Xmas is NOT "taking Christ out of Christmas". Those who claim
otherwise are ignorant of both Greek and the history of their own religion. X
is the Greek letter chi, which the early Christians used to denote the word
"Christ" and which current Christians include (for the same reason) in their
"Jesus fish". The letters in the fish are an acronym in Greek that stands for
"Jesus Christ, Son of God, Saviour". Note the relationship between the second
letter, chi, and the second word, Christ.
Old October 6th 03, 03:39 PM
Pat in Virginia

You are right on all counts Nurse. I knew all this (about chi and
so on), but was chiding the Blau for her/his rude remarks about
'the silly xians.'
PAT

Old October 6th 03, 04:48 PM
Lynne Van

Pat, this odd name is applied by some to Christians. Why? Who
knows. The theory is that way back when, the X represented
Christ, in one of the languages used at that time .(Greek?
Aramaic?)

Whatever the original intent /history may have been, I do find
it a bit derogatory. And, as the term Christ (the anointed one)
scares many people, I understand their need to avoid it at all
costs.That said...the person who used the expression "x-ian" is
clearly a troll....and from that "group" we can expect just
about anything.

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

Old October 6th 03, 06:09 PM
Susan Leah Bringham

Johanna Gibson wrote in message . ..
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:30:44 -0700, Anne
wrote:

Regarding the "blueberry" address, that is the very address that our
friend "Cheyne" was posting under,who sent a rude email to myself and
who I killfiled and blocked in my email. He/she is a troll.
"Cheyne" is NOT the same as Blueberry. I too did a search as I received a really nasty email from the real Blueberry. Their are two Cheyne's one is the person who was selling her "heart blocks" and the other is a woman from Bowling Green who is an appraiser for antique quilts.

I looked at the messages that go way back for Blueberry and
found them filled with her/his/its emails and plans to a large group
of Pagans, Witches and other horrors. They seems to be located in
every state from MA to CA. One could expect to hear of them in
schizophrenic CA but elsewere---that surprises me.
Well thought this might be in interest. I replied to the email sent
me by Blueberry and got over one hundred responses from others of like
mind. Real crazies. Guess they come out at Halloween. That is why
we only have Harvest Festivals on the 31st of October. We reclaim it
as a Christian holiday.
Susan Leah
Old October 6th 03, 06:31 PM
Johanna Gibson

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 11:48:20 -0400, Lynne Van
wrote:

Pat, this odd name is applied by some to Christians. Why? Who
knows. The theory is that way back when, the X represented
Christ, in one of the languages used at that time .(Greek?
Aramaic?)

Whatever the original intent /history may have been, I do find
it a bit derogatory. And, as the term Christ (the anointed one)
scares many people, I understand their need to avoid it at all
costs.That said...the person who used the expression "x-ian" is
clearly a troll....and from that "group" we can expect just
about anything.

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

I thought it was a lazy abbreviation, much like X-mas. I never
write that, but my dad did.... drove my mum nuts.

-- Jo in Scotland
Old October 6th 03, 08:15 PM
Lynne Van

Exactly, Susan. I skip the other stuff. I'm more Anglican than
anything else, and went to a "high" church service once on All
Saint's Day and found it quite appalling. I don't go to church
now on ASD. I'd rather pray for the living than the dead!

Cheers,

Lynne in Toronto

(snip) That is why

Old October 7th 03, 01:07 AM
NightMist

I use it as a lazy abbreviation myself.
I also use it when refering to christians when I am in those venues
that tend to be haunted by fundies (and that _is_ a derogatory term,
referring strictly to that variety of creature that calls itself a
christian and fluently and effusively speaks the language of hate in
their god's name).
That term tends to fly under the radar so to speak. This allows a
body to have a perfectly innocent conversation whithout hordes of
rabid trolls descending.

NightMist

--

I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Old October 7th 03, 02:12 AM
Julia Altshuler

I frequently abbreviate Christmas to Xmas and Christians to Xians for
exactly the reason described thinking that I'm not offending. If I am,
correct me, please. That's one area I really like to get right.

--Lia

OT Halloween rant Lee Needlework 57 November 7th 03 01:23 AM
AD ~ Halloween Specials and NEW stuff in the store! Mj Beads 1 October 29th 03 04:51 PM
AD: Assorted Fiber Sets, Sampler Sets & Halloween Page Kits Spot Rubberstamps 0 October 12th 03 07:28 PM
Halloween Designs Secrets of Embroidery Needlework 0 October 4th 03 11:19 AM
Halloween not really OT Carolyn Williams Quilting 16 September 14th 03 07:09 PM