Hi, - a very new Newbie :-)

Old August 21st 03, 10:16 AM
Dumpling

Default Hi, - a very new Newbie :-)

Hi

Welcome from Bucketty, NSW

....Fran...

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 21:09:33 +1200, "Lynn Tocker"
wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have to admit to not having completed a quilt yet, so does this make me
ineligible to join you, or may I please participate? I found you in the
Newsgroups about a fortnight ago, and have been bowled over by the range of
subjects covered :-). I was half-demented (understatement of the year) at
the time, having purchased a rotary cutter, mats, batting, heaps of bits of
fabric and magazines. At that time I had been practicing with the rotary
cutter and managed to slice off the tassels from one side of my scarf,
effortlessly. Since then I have also pressed my cutting mat (anyone with a
good chemical-free method for removing the green plastic off the heel of my
iron, will earn mega brownie points), made two quilted cushion covers and
three 'blocks' which I haven't yet quilted, but intend to. Most of the
queries I've had, have been answered by books I've borrowed from the local
Library, but still haven't found a detailed explanation of how the 'quilting
as you go' would work. I imagine the seams would become enormously thick,
and the only book that made any reference to it, gave only the words to
explain the acronym. Could any of you help by explaining this method
please?
I've been reading your posts referring to heat waves, and have done a lot of
sighing, with envy. Wellington, New Zealand is hellishly cold, wet and
windy tonight, with more promised for tomorrow.
Best wishes
Lynn

Old August 21st 03, 10:46 AM
DeB Shaw

G'morning Lynn ... and welcome to RCTQ!
:^)

I'm almost ready to throw some fresh blueberry muffins into the oven. Grab a
seat .... ummmm .... maybe leave the rotary cutter at the door. grins

I dunno what to make of pressing your mat. Here ... let me pour you some
java. It'll help wake us both up. more grins

Quilting-as-you-go is actually pretty simple, although I'm not the bestest
one at trying to explain how it's done. I do remember one of our RCTQ'ers
has posted pix of this particular process, and I'm sure you'll be pointed in
that direction soon. I'm kind'a assuming you're mentally envisioning each
seam of a quilt to be quilted as you go. Actually, you stitch the quilt top
together in sections, and these sections are then Q-A-Y-G. You could have
two, three, four, or even five or more sections with this method.

One little trick I like, that helps to reduce the bulk, is the way I place
my batting. I start by overlapping the edges, about 1-1/2 inches. Then I'll
pull each edge apart, in half. The edge that's "on top", I'll cut away the
bottom portion of the half I pulled apart. The edge that's on "bottom", I'll
cut away the top portion. This edge will now have the same thickness as the
rest of the batting, because I've just done away with half the bulk.

Now I've gotta' go get those muffins in!
:^)

DeB Shaw
Queen of the *Northern*Lights*

-----

We can make YOU the HERO!
http://www.ProjectRescuers.com

-----

Old August 21st 03, 01:05 PM
Polly Esther

Welcome, Lynn! Come on in, and yes, please do leave the rotary cutter and
the iron at the door. Although not recommended, it appears that you've
learned by now that you can slice off fingers with the rotary. I've bonded
some pretty awful things on my iron but not the green cutting mat, yet. DH
has taken the iron way out in the backyard and scraped them off with sand
paper and gasoline. Not something you would want to do inside and not a good
idea except for the truly desperate. And don't be around any flames, please.
As to quilt as you go, Georgia Bonesteel's book covers that method very
nicely. I am woefully ignorant of what is available in your area. Do you
have access to a public library? Can you order a copy on the net without
causing a permanent dent in your budget? A friend who lurks used bookshops
brought me one. I read it but decided the method was far too fragile for my
"use it to pieces" style (?) of quilting.
Glad to have you here. Polly

Old August 21st 03, 01:14 PM
Kate Dicey

Lynn Tocker wrote:

[...]

Do join the fun! I joined the group long before I made my first real
quilt: I wanted to get it right as it was for my son, so I came here and
got the best advice in the world.

I'll swap some of our heat for your cold!
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Old August 21st 03, 01:20 PM
Queen of Squishies

Welcome, Lynn! Of course you may join, that's what we're here for. To help
each other FINISH. Finished is good. Right guys?

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 21st 03, 01:34 PM
nzl*

hi Lynn,
just tagging on pollys post, lol.
i'll bet wellingtons library system is online, you can see what books are in
the system and order them to your nearest branch.
yep its cold the last couple days up here too, wet, windy and wild, heck we
thought it was wellington weather you lot sent up our way.
just kidding.
another idea might be to join the nearest quilting guild. they will have a
good size library of quilting books you can borrow from meeting to meeting
each month.
i've found they have the best selection of books on every aspect of quilting
and all those quilters at the meetings too. ya just cant go wrong. someone
there will surely be able to explain things in person if we cant do it for
ya here.
as i recall qayg is when you sandwich and quilt a block at a time or a small
unit of blocks at a time. a size thats easy to manage on your lap and join
the top seams, gently zigzag big stitches by hand over the butted (or
overlapped 50/50) batting, then join the back seams by hand, then just bind
the whole lot and voila!!
welcome aboard the bestest cyberquiltingframe in the whole wide world!!!
i'm off to bed now i think as i'm knackered will see if i can find some pix
online for ya tomorrow morning. night night.
jeanne*
bhb, auckland, nz
--
RCTQ Houston 2004 Party Animals
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail....

| Lynn Tocker" wrote...
| Hello everyone,
|
| I have to admit to not having completed a quilt yet, so does this make
| me ineligible to join you, or may I please participate? I found you in
the
| Newsgroups about a fortnight ago, and have been bowled over by the
range
| of subjects covered :-). I was half-demented (understatement of the
year)
| at the time, having purchased a rotary cutter, mats, batting, heaps of
bits
| of fabric and magazines. At that time I had been practicing with the
| rotary cutter and managed to slice off the tassels from one side of my
scarf,
| effortlessly. Since then I have also pressed my cutting mat (anyone
| with a good chemical-free method for removing the green plastic off the
heel of
| my iron, will earn mega brownie points), made two quilted cushion covers
| and three 'blocks' which I haven't yet quilted, but intend to. Most of
the
| queries I've had, have been answered by books I've borrowed from the
| local Library, but still haven't found a detailed explanation of how the
| 'quilting as you go' would work. I imagine the seams would become
enormously
| thick, and the only book that made any reference to it, gave only the
words to
| explain the acronym. Could any of you help by explaining this method
| please?
| I've been reading your posts referring to heat waves, and have done a
| lot of sighing, with envy. Wellington, New Zealand is hellishly cold,
wet and
| windy tonight, with more promised for tomorrow.
| Best wishes
| Lynn

---

Old August 21st 03, 01:41 PM
frood

If lack of completed quilts makes you ineligible, half of us would be booted
off! I haven't tried the quilt as you go method, so I can't help you there,
sorry. As for the iron, have you tried heating it up, then running it over
plain brown paper, like grocery bags? (Are grocery bags made of brown paper
in NZ?)

Welcome to the group! We're getting almost as many NZers as we have Central
NC USAers! G

--
Wendy
De-Fang email address to reply

Old August 21st 03, 03:06 PM
Jalynne

hehe, there are some long time members here who haven't yet completed a quilt,
either, so welcome to the group.

now ...the important stuff....favourite colours, type of chocolate??

--
Jalynne

Old August 21st 03, 03:25 PM
nana2b

Welcome to you from Plano Texas. I have only been in this group for 4 or 5
months. There is a wealth of information and good feelings here. I look
forward to reading the posts everyday.

--
Sugar & Spice Quilts by Linda E
http://community.webshots.com/user/frame242

Old August 21st 03, 03:31 PM
Pat in Virginia

Hi Lynn!
Of course you are 'eligible to participate' ... as soon as you
have your choice of chocolate vetted. Just send a couple pounds
to my Palace here in Virginia, USA. I'll let you know. Tough job,
but I sacrifice for the NG.

Half Demented? Good, you'll fit in very well. Cut off tassels?
SAVE them ... eventually someone (Krysia?) will pop up with her
own unique comments on tassels. LOL

PAT in VA
Official Chocolate Taster of RCTQ
& Queen of Everything

Lynn Tocker wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have to admit to not having completed a quilt yet, so does this make me
ineligible to join you, or may I please participate? I found you in the
Newsgroups about a fortnight ago, and have been bowled over by the range of
subjects covered :-). I was half-demented (understatement of the year) at
the time, having purchased a rotary cutter, mats, batting, heaps of bits of
fabric and magazines. At that time I had been practicing with the rotary
cutter and managed to slice off the tassels from one side of my scarf,
effortlessly. ...cut...