OT Note from School

Old July 31st 09, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

Default OT Note from School

Principals aren't always on top of things. I went to my oldest DGS's
induction into JR. Honor Society. Now, they knew how many students were to
be inducted. The kids started filing in---no seats for any but the first
10. Everything on hold until the idiots moved benches around and found
space for all the kids. I really wanted to stand up and ask if anyone on
the staff knew how to count. Unbelievable!.
Gen

"KJ" wrote in message
Oh NO! Please tell me this isn't true! That's more than horrifying!! If
the principal didn't overrule...then I'd go to the school board!!
Incredible!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Listpig" wrote in message
I have a friend whose son was marked wrong for "air conditioning"; the
teacher's correction was "the correct spelling, as EVERYONE knows, is air
condishunning." (Upon the mother producing a dictionary, the teacher
simply
asserted that the **dictionary** was wrong; upon the mother going to the
principal, she was told that the teacher could not be overruled.
Shudder.)

I find such incidences horrifying, especially since when they're brought
the attention of higher-ups, and they dismiss the situation as
insignificant, and look at the literate adult as if they're a bit crazy
care.....

--pig

On 7/30/09 15:42, in article
,
"Sherry"
wrote:

This really hits a nerve with me. I guess I'm from the old-school
mentality
where spelling and penmanship are still important.
My sis got her grandson's spelling test. One word was "arctic."
The teacher marked it wrong, with the correction, "artic."
The other was inauguration. The teacher marked it wrong,
and made the correction, "inauguaration."

I was really livid and goaded her into faxing the spelling test to the
school board. If you're gonna teach 7th graders, AND CANNOT
SPELL well enough to grade papers, for crying out loud, use
a dictionary.

Old July 31st 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate in MI

Semester -- appears we're all guilty at one time or another! ;-)

--
Kate in MI

"Donna" wrote in message

When my son was in h.s. he received an "F" in English
for the semister. I came unglued to say the least and
my son didn't understand it either.

So I went to the English teacher and demanded (!) to
she her record book. For that whole dang semister
my son hadn't received anything lower then a "C"! Mostly
"B's" whch is what I expected. She had NO explanation or
anything to give me. And I worked at the school during this
time frame. Why didn't she come talk to me about it if this
was true?!?!?!?

I gave her the riot act because my son had plans on going
to college and "did she know what she just did to his record?!"
Not sure right now (makes me mad just remembering it) but
I think she changed it to a "C".

Donna
in WA

Old July 31st 09, 03:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ

AAARRRGGGHHH!

--
Kathyl (KJ)
remove "nospam" before mchsi
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
A friend calls me often asking how to spell a word or which is the right
word. Curious, I asked one time why she didn't just use spell-check or a
dictionary.
"They just confuse me" she said.
She's a teacher.
Polly

Old July 31st 09, 06:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbi in SO CA

This teacher must be about the same age as my daughter. When she started
school, the district was using that awful Whole Language Program with
"best guess spelling." The children were not taught phonics. I had been
teaching my children to read using phonics when they were in preschool
since that is how I learned. Well, with "best guess spelling" we were
not suppose to correct the spelling since that would stifle creativity.
She started having spelling tests in 3rd grade when they finally threw
the horrible program out the window. She would cry and go batty on
Thursday nights since she could not figure out how to spell the words
for the test the next day. She graduated from high school at the top of
her class and also graduated from University of Pittsburgh at the top of
her class. She still can't spell, but knows enough to use a dictionary,
grammar/spell check and to ask her brother how to spell something since
he never was "blessed" with best guess spelling and spells like a champ!

There are a lot of college instructors who tell me that they know
exactly which students were taught best guess spelling since they are
very bright articulate students who can't spell worth a darn.

Debbi in SO CA

Listpig wrote:
I have a friend whose son was marked wrong for "air conditioning"; the
teacher's correction was "the correct spelling, as EVERYONE knows, is air
condishunning." (Upon the mother producing a dictionary, the teacher simply
asserted that the **dictionary** was wrong; upon the mother going to the
principal, she was told that the teacher could not be overruled. Shudder.)

I find such incidences horrifying, especially since when they're brought to
the attention of higher-ups, and they dismiss the situation as
insignificant, and look at the literate adult as if they're a bit crazy to
care.....

--pig

On 7/30/09 15:42, in article
, "Sherry"

Old July 31st 09, 06:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Oh Good Grief.
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes
A friend calls me often asking how to spell a word or which is the
right word. Curious, I asked one time why she didn't just use
spell-check or a dictionary.
"They just confuse me" she said.
She's a teacher.
Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 31st 09, 12:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jul 30, 10:35 pm, "KJ" wrote:
AAARRRGGGHHH!

On Jul 31, 1:29*am, Patti wrote:
Oh Good Grief.

Charlie Brown?
Old July 31st 09, 02:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Can't help it - I've read all the books! Some totally apposite phrases
therein!
..
In message
, Dr.
Zachary Smith writes
Charlie Brown?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old July 31st 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jul 31, 9:20*am, Patti wrote:
Can't help it - I've read all the books! *Some totally apposite phrases
therein!
.
In message
, Dr.
Zachary Smith writes

Charlie Brown?

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Well, that makes two new words I learned today!
(And got chewed out for using a couple that were too much trouble for
some other people to look up.)

Doc
Old July 31st 09, 04:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Donna[_4_]

well, my spell checker does not work even though I've tried
what has been suggested here. And I've been dyslexic all
my life. When I was in the first grade (1956-57) no matter
how hard I studied, I could never get that perfect 100% on
my spelling tests. Finally, after studying my own words,
I learned I was spelling some words backwards. Didn't
know it had a real name to this disorder until I was much older.
So I tried seeing a word in my mind and just memorizing it
so that I could spell it correctly.

I do try my best but still end up spelling words incorrectly
whenever I'm in a hurry.

Donna
in WA
who never did win one of those beautiful butterfly pins the
teacher gave away for getting 100% on their spelling tests.

Old July 31st 09, 04:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Jul 31, 11:21*am, "Donna" wrote:

I've been dyslexic all my life. *

That's not ALL bad... Dyslexics have more fnu!

New approach School yasin Jewelry 0 April 3rd 07 03:42 AM
Demo at school Wooly Yarn 9 May 7th 06 07:38 AM
Knitting at school Aud Yarn 7 February 4th 06 05:39 PM
OT - Sunday School Jalynne Beads 39 August 18th 04 02:56 AM
Jewelers School? J. Alan Jewelry 1 July 22nd 04 04:03 PM