backing quilts

Old February 11th 08, 11:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_3_]

Default backing quilts

"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Mostly machine, although this particular fabric is butter-soft, medium
weight. No problem for a hand quilter. The only reason it's not my main
fabric source is that it only comes in large prints,
http://www.bassetti.com/www/applicat...d=61&pageId=72
while I like to piece with tone-on-tone or small prints.
Roberta in D

I think I'll stick with plain wheat or cream colored 300ct sheets.

Old February 11th 08, 11:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marie Dodge[_3_]

"Pati C." wrote in message
Depends on the quilt. VBG
I usually machine quilt, so seams don't bother me. I frequently use extra
fabric from the front of the quilt in the back. Sometimes to "stretch"
yardage to fit the quilt. When I piece I prefer to have lengthwise seams,
and alway make them off center. G That way if my basting isn't "perfect"
it doesn't really matter as much. VBG
For one quilt I took the block used in the quilt, stretched it to a
rectangle and used leftover fabrics to make one large block on the back of
the quilt. Both front and back had the same fabric as outer borders so
that exact centering wasn't an issue. Really looked good. G
My sister-in-law and her husband have that quilt up in Olympia,WA.

For my Dear Jane I am using the extra wide RocLon muslin for backing.
Regular RocLon is what I used for the background/sashing/scallop border
too, so it all goes together.

I have also been know to use outer wear fleece for backing/batting throws.
G It is 60" wide so usually doesn't need to be pieced. (One that did
need piecing I used a diagonal seam, like the way John Flynn explains on
his site. But I hadn't seen the John Flynn method when I did mine. G)

Using fleece as a batting and backing sounds interesting. That would work
great on a "tied" quilt. :^)

Pati, in Phx

Marie Dodge wrote:
What are you people using to back your quilts? Sheets? What thread count
do you all recommend? A flat sheet for a double bed is too narrow for a
full size quilt so are you buying Queens size sheets to back full size
quilts?

Old February 12th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Roberta, That is just lovely! I could see using it as the "top" with a plain
back! Wish I could get that here. I need to check out World Market and
similar stores .... maybe I can find such products.
Pat in Virginia

Old February 12th 08, 12:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Once you get a feel of this fabric, you will be hooked :-) And for me, it's
a (relative) bargain: there's an outlet store not too far away! Instead of
paying an arm and a leg, they only need the limb of my choice ;-)
Roberta in D

news

Old February 12th 08, 03:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

On Feb 12, 6:05*am, "Roberta Zollner" wrote:
Once you get a feel of this fabric, you will be hooked :-) And for me, it's
a (relative) bargain: there's an outlet store not too far away! Instead of
paying an arm and a leg, they only need the limb of my choice ;-)
Roberta in D

I'm already hooked on the "feel" of fabric. Nine-dollar-a-yard fabric
at LQS just
*feels* so much nicer than cheaper fabrics. Crisp but not stiff.
Smooth. Why is
that? :-)

Sherry
Old February 12th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Actually, I think it's because the good fabric relies on the quality of
greige goods, instead of on trying to beef up poor quality with a lot of
sizing. Sizing makes stiff.
Roberta in D

Old February 12th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default fabric quality backing quilts

Howdy!

Yep; what Roberta says ;-)

http://www.fabrics.net/cotqual.asp

R/S

On 2/12/08 11:38 AM, in article , "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Actually, I think it's because the good fabric relies on the quality of
greige goods, instead of on trying to beef up poor quality with a lot of
sizing. Sizing makes stiff.
Roberta in D

"Sherry" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
On Feb 12, 6:05 am, "Roberta Zollner" wrote:
Once you get a feel of this fabric, you will be hooked :-) And for me,
it's
a (relative) bargain: there's an outlet store not too far away! Instead of
paying an arm and a leg, they only need the limb of my choice ;-)
Roberta in D

I'm already hooked on the "feel" of fabric. Nine-dollar-a-yard fabric
at LQS just
*feels* so much nicer than cheaper fabrics. Crisp but not stiff.
Smooth. Why is
that? :-)

Sherry

muslin as backing Anne Rogers[_3_] Quilting 32 August 21st 07 08:28 PM
bedsheets as backing Cats Quilting 0 November 8th 06 11:51 AM
backing sandra Quilting 2 February 8th 04 05:22 AM
rug backing BDS2pds Needlework 1 August 19th 03 02:07 AM
"Quilt" no backing? Joy Quilts Quilting 0 July 10th 03 09:18 PM