How far is TOO far?

Old July 11th 06, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
frood

Default Guild members Long Arm vs Regular SM WAS How far is TOO far?

Our guild has this, too - we call them President's Volunteers. When you come
to the meeting, you say to the President that you are able to help, and she
gives you a job - holding quilts for Show & Tell, showing around new
members, turning off/on lights for the slide show, etc. At the end of the
evening, you get a FQ for helping. I have a guild friend who has a great
deal of personal commitments to her family, and she likes to help out this
way. She doesn't do it every meeting; sometimes she just likes to sit and
relax, but it offers her a way to help out.

And yes, the person I was talking about has never held a position in the
guild, doesn't help with the annual show, or at the meetings. She only comes
for the workshops, and then brags about it.

--
Wendy
De-STUFF email address to reply
"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Maureen:
I've been a member of this guild for nearly 12 years. I am not talking
about people who aren't volunteering this year, or last year, or even
2003. I am talking about people who have NEVER volunteered. Some of the
jobs are so easy ... done entirely at the meeting. So, it seems to me that
if one shows up every time, one could take a job now and then. JMO. Also,
if people sign up with a friend, they have a 'back up' for those times
when they can't attend. That's what I've done.
PAT in VA/USA

Maureen Wozniak wrote:
Just my 2 cents here. But I belong to both the quilt guild here and the
local chapter of the American Sewing Guild. This past year I haven't
done much with or for either guild, but mainly because of things going on
at work and home. So to some it would that I don't contribute at all.
However, for 4 years I planned programs for the sewing guild. Even if I
did have time to participate right now, I don't think I would want to.
I'm just burned out. I think it is the same for many of the older
members of our quilt guild. Also, many of the younger members have full
time jobs and families. It's often hard not to judge people, especially
if you are one of the 20% who seems to do all the work. But I try to
remember that you don't always know what is going on at home. For some,
it might be a struggle just to get to the show for a couple or hours or
to a monthly meeting.

On the other hand, there are clearly people who will always complain
about what is/has been done, but never volunteer to help. You'll just
never satisfy those people.

Old July 11th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Denise in NH

Default How far is TOO far? Val

I honestly think if somebody proudly
posted a picture of a velvet painting of
dogs playing poker that had been
"quilted" with a stapler because it was
the only thing they could work with or
the only skills possessed, more people
would find good things to say or not
comment..........Val

Hey! I resemble that remark!! grin

When I was a little kid I absolutely loved that picture of dogs playing
poker, but my mom wouldn't buy it for me and weirdly, I still wanted one
as an adult, not sure why, it's just one of those unexplainable things.
Last fall while shopping at a Ben Franklin's here in NH, what should I
stumble across but a cheater quilt panel of DOGS PLAYING POKER !! I
bought it and danced all the way home. It hasn't found its way into a
quilt yet, but it will very soon. Yesterday I saw a bolt of it at
Wal-Mart, so we can all make one. LOL

I'm not using a stapler on it though.

Denise
http://community.webtv.net/DeniseJG/
My QI

Old July 11th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

So Sandy. If I am having a bad day can I leave a message and you will
call me back long distance so I can vent? VBG
Taria

Sandy Foster wrote:

Amen, Taria! One of the years that I was the scribing committee chair, a
woman called to blast me about the categories -- obviously, she didn't
like them because she had a quilt that didn't fit into any of them.
Actually, she called my house and left me a message to call her back,
which I did because I didn't know she was upset -- and it was a toll
call. Grrr... Anyway, I finally told her that she could easily fix the
problem by volunteering to be the committee chair next year. LOL! She
hung up! Needless to say, she didn't volunteer for anything and never
does.

Old July 12th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Foster

Sandy Foster wrote:

Amen, Taria! One of the years that I was the scribing committee chair, a
woman called to blast me about the categories -- obviously, she didn't
like them because she had a quilt that didn't fit into any of them.
Actually, she called my house and left me a message to call her back,
which I did because I didn't know she was upset -- and it was a toll
call. Grrr... Anyway, I finally told her that she could easily fix the
problem by volunteering to be the committee chair next year. LOL! She
hung up! Needless to say, she didn't volunteer for anything and never
does.

LOL! Sure, Taria! I'd rather have you venting with me than this other
woman venting *at* me!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education

Old July 15th 06, 01:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

I can understand that. We have several people in our guild who never
volunteer either. I suppose a lot of people would think that of me, but once
my life calms down I intend to volunteer for something.

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:05:30 -0500, Pat in Virginia wrote
(in article qTQsg.332363$5Z.34970@dukeread02):

Old July 15th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

I think the key is having leaders who mention the little things that
people can do to be involved. Lots of members of guilds are still
working or raising families or caring for sick relatives or elderly
parents. They can't organize the quilt show or attend all those board
meetings. But I notice there are lots of little things like putting
flyers for the guild retreat on every chair before the meeting or
helping hang challenge projects or collecting membership forms that the
"regulars" just do rather than grabbing a buddy and having them work
together for just that time before the meeting starts. Sometimes I
think we need to be better at asking the others for those little, one
time, 10 minute jobs.

marcella
new guild VP (yikes!)