Hat streched out!

Old May 26th 06, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Hat streched out!

Here's how I made the hat:

Needles: size 9
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight
Cast on: 80 stitches (Twisted German Cast on)
Ribbing: 1" K2P2

I knitted in the round for about 4-5", then started my decrease every
other row.

So...why did the hat stretch out of shape and never bounce back? My son
still wears it, but it doesn't fit snug? Is it the yarn? The cast on?
The ribbing?

Advice please...

/J
--
-- -- -- -- -- -- --
Cigar Crawl's Project Pink: http://www.cigarcrawl.com/pink.html

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

Old May 26th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Fri, 26 May 2006 15:54:51 GMT, Jenn Vanderslice
spewed forth :

Here's how I made the hat:

Needles: size 9
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight
Cast on: 80 stitches (Twisted German Cast on)
Ribbing: 1" K2P2

I knitted in the round for about 4-5", then started my decrease every
other row.

So...why did the hat stretch out of shape and never bounce back? My son
still wears it, but it doesn't fit snug? Is it the yarn? The cast on?
The ribbing?

Advice please...

/J

Acrylic has no memory. Run it through a wash/dry cycle, then tack in
some elastic to bring in the ribbing on a more permanent basis.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old May 26th 06, 06:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Wooly wrote:

On Fri, 26 May 2006 15:54:51 GMT, Jenn Vanderslice
spewed forth :

Here's how I made the hat:

Needles: size 9
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight
Cast on: 80 stitches (Twisted German Cast on)
Ribbing: 1" K2P2

I knitted in the round for about 4-5", then started my decrease every
other row.

So...why did the hat stretch out of shape and never bounce back? My son
still wears it, but it doesn't fit snug? Is it the yarn? The cast on?
The ribbing?

Advice please...

/J

Acrylic has no memory. Run it through a wash/dry cycle, then tack in
some elastic to bring in the ribbing on a more permanent basis.

Any suggestions for fiber on my next knit hat? I'm not one for buying
100% wool, but will do if I have to. Any fiber suggestions would be
welcome....

Thanks Wooly!

Jenn

Old May 26th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On Fri, 26 May 2006 17:30:20 GMT, Jenn Vanderslice
spewed forth :

Any suggestions for fiber on my next knit hat? I'm not one for buying
100% wool, but will do if I have to. Any fiber suggestions would be
welcome....

Well, I'm partial to wool, myself, so that's what I tell everyone to
use. Try some LB WoolEase. I know a lot of folks who like it; they
say it wears well and keeps it's shape (thanks to the wool, no doubt!)

+++++++++++++

Old May 26th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Jenn Vanderslice wrote:
Here's how I made the hat:

Needles: size 9
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight
Cast on: 80 stitches (Twisted German Cast on)
Ribbing: 1" K2P2

I knitted in the round for about 4-5", then started my decrease every
other row.

So...why did the hat stretch out of shape and never bounce back? My
son still wears it, but it doesn't fit snug? Is it the yarn? The
cast on? The ribbing?

Advice please...

I think that the needles may be a bit big for that yarn. I usually use a
3.75 for a hat with worsted weight. THe rib should have been fine, though,
but I would have done it longer.

HTH

Higs,
Katherine

Old May 26th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Jenn Vanderslice wrote:
Wooly wrote:

[...]

I use acrylic, and have had no problems with it. Canadiana or Red Heart have
been fine.

Higs,
Katherine

Old May 30th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Katherine wrote:
Jenn Vanderslice wrote:
Here's how I made the hat:

Needles: size 9
Yarn: Red Heart Super Saver worsted weight
Cast on: 80 stitches (Twisted German Cast on)
Ribbing: 1" K2P2

I knitted in the round for about 4-5", then started my decrease every
other row.

So...why did the hat stretch out of shape and never bounce back? My
son still wears it, but it doesn't fit snug? Is it the yarn? The
cast on? The ribbing?

I think that the needles may be a bit big for that yarn. I usually use a
3.75 for a hat with worsted weight. The rib should have been fine, though,
but I would have done it longer.

I use US size 6 (4mm) for K1P1 ribbing, US size 8 (5mm) for stockinette,
and (I knit tightly) 96 stitches for an adult hat. K2P2 ribbing comes
out a lot looser, so that may be part of it. Acrylic works fine for me
but I wash everything on cold, even though I do put it in the dryer.

=Tamar
Old May 30th 06, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Richard Eney wrote:
In article ,
Katherine wrote:
Jenn Vanderslice wrote:
[...]

I think that those needles were too big. It made the fabric too loose, even
if you do knit tightly. Try going down a size and see what happens. Also, I
don't change sizes from the rib to the ss on hats, mitts, or socks.
HTH

Higs,
Katherine