Another Sock Question

Old May 27th 06, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default Another Sock Question

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article .com,
"hesira" wrote:

Hi All,

I finished the Koigu sock, and I'm not crazy about it. It just seems a
little too big around and doesn't fit snuggly around the arch. I
casted on 72 stitches using #2 US needles, and tried to knit tighter
than I normally do. The pattern has a K2P2 ribbed cuff and then a
stockinette foot. If I had continued the ribbing over the top of the
sock, would it have been more fitted? I just want a sock pattern that
has a nice fit. Any suggestions?

Hesira

Hesira, you have the answer, rib the top part of the foot and stockinette
the foot. I went through the same learning lesson when I started to knit
socks for Otto, when we moved here. I am still changing how I make the
heel as well.

Els

I agree with you on the ribbing but I think she should also try a size 1
needle and fewer stitches as Wooly recommended. I've found that I want the
socks to have a circumference a little smaller than the measurement of my
foot. Although they look to small around for my feet, they really aren't
They have a snug fit but are still comfortable because there is enough
stretch in the fabric. I've only used wool/nylon sock yarns and not any
100% wools.

--
Jan in MN

Old May 27th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On 26 May 2006 16:08:39 -0700, "hesira" spewed
forth :

Thanks Everyone,

I'm new at this sock making stuff, and can't just look at a pattern &
know whether it will work. I really appreciate you all sharing your
experience and expertise with me. My feet (and ankles I guess) are
pretty small, so I probably need to try fewer stitches, and ribbing the
top. I just hate the idea of frogging that sock. Probably I'll make
it's mate, and save them for Xmas gifts.

Hesira

It's all about the gauge. I usually recommend that people ballpark a
number to cast on based on their expected GAUGE, minus 10%. So if I
was knitting 8spi I'd want 8*9.5-10% or 76-8 or 68 but really 64
stitches at 8spi produces socks of my preferred fit so that's what I
use.

It sounds as if you can probably drop a couple of needle sizes and
have socks that fit, even if they don't fit ideally.

And yes, Elizabeth Zimmerman developed a shaped arch years ago.
Instructions for the making of it are in the Almanac for sure,
Opinionated knitter possibly, and as a SpunOut pamphlet from SHP.

I imagine you can find it if you google, too.

+++++++++++++

Reply to the list as I do not publish an email address to USENET.
This practice has cut my spam by more than 95%.
Of course, I did have to abandon a perfectly good email account...
Old May 30th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article ,
Wooly wrote:
snip
And yes, Elizabeth Zimmerman developed a shaped arch years ago.
Instructions for the making of it are in the Almanac for sure,
Opinionated knitter possibly, and as a SpunOut pamphlet from SHP.

I imagine you can find it if you google, too.

The Almanac has an unusual sock pattern but not, I think, the shaped arch.
I've only found that one in _Meg Swansen's Knitting_, and she derived it
directly from the stockings, since E.Z. never wrote it down. Meg showed
the original stockings and several pairs knitted from her derived, and
slightly altered, pattern.

=Tamar