What on earth do I do with this?

Old August 28th 07, 02:58 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Default What on earth do I do with this?

Marvellous!

I just have to tell a story he
On the old TV programme 'The Good Life' (which some of you might have
seen), Tom and Barbara were trying to do everything from 'the land' =
their garden.
They were given some fleeces, as I recall, and Barbara spun this into
wool yarn. This was then dyed with dye made from nettles - a very
bright green! She then wove this bright green wool yarn into cloth, and
made Tom a suit. It was quite well made; but, of course, looked
hysterical. It was somewhat of the texture of Harris tweed! They went
to some function (I've forgotten what) and Tom wore his hand made suit.
He wore a cream trench coat over it, but, when he had to remove the
coat, the reactions of those around were predictable gg
I'm sorry if I'm spoiling the story by bad telling, but it really was
very, very funny. So, John, no dyeing with nettles (or other garden
weeds perhaps?)!
..
In message . com, John
writes
I threatened to make a stretch leisure suit and my wife almost spit
her coffee across the breakfast table at me, and she couldn't stop
laughing. I am definitely NOT the leisure suit kind of guy. Everything
I own is 100 percent cotton or wool. The one exception is bicycle
clothing. Lycra is the only exception I make, and I have started to
make cotton and wool cycling clothes to eliminate that exception. I
have a long range goal of producing all of the clothes I wear. I am
going to learn to knit this winter, so I can make myself some Merino
wool socks and then I plan to get a cover-stitch machine after the
first of the year so that I can sew jersey t-shirts. I then can make
cotton boxer briefs and with the addition of pants and shirt and
jacket, I will have an outfit that is 100 percent custom made by me. I
will probably be so stressed out from the endeavor that they will have
to bury me in it. But, I will be a rather nattily dressed corpse.

John

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 28th 07, 03:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

Is it really stretchy? I've seen a lot of ready-to-wear that has a very
small amount of lycra in it -- maybe 5%, just enough to give it a little
"give" when wearing. If that is what it is, you could use it for a shirt
or two.

Julia in MN

John wrote:
Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Somebody gave me
about 5+ yards of Stretch Blue Chambray. Aside from the obvious of
making a pair of hot pants for the entire Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
squad, what in the world could I use this stuff for. I don't use
stretch stuff for anything so I am totally at a loss. I can't use it
for quilting because, well, it stretches. You thought you had trouble
making your points match; well, this stuff would be the ultimate
challenge. It is off the bolt, so I assume it has been washed, but
maybe not. Perspiring minds want to know and any and all replies will
be given careful, if mirthful, consideration.

John

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old August 28th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 00:55:09 -0700, John
wrote:

Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Somebody gave me
about 5+ yards of Stretch Blue Chambray. Aside from the obvious of
making a pair of hot pants for the entire Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
squad, what in the world could I use this stuff for. I don't use
stretch stuff for anything so I am totally at a loss. I can't use it
for quilting because, well, it stretches. You thought you had trouble
making your points match; well, this stuff would be the ultimate
challenge. It is off the bolt, so I assume it has been washed, but
maybe not. Perspiring minds want to know and any and all replies will
be given careful, if mirthful, consideration.

Well, maybe hotpants for the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders is a bit out
of line.
However hotpants for the Penguins ice girls would be OK, especially
since some of the ice girls are ice boys. Lord knows they could use
some costumeing help, at least as of a few years ago.
Since you are an upright married man, I will make the sacrifice and
come down and measure all those fine looking bods for you.
There are an awful lot of them so those hotpants will have to be very
tiny....

NightMist
no hotpants for Iceberg

--
I'm a little teapot, short and stout
here is my handle, here is my...other...handle?
Old August 28th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
off kilter [email protected]

On Aug 28, 3:55 am, John wrote:
Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Somebody gave me
about 5+ yards of Stretch Blue Chambray. Aside from the obvious of
making a pair of hot pants for the entire Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
squad, what in the world could I use this stuff for. I don't use
stretch stuff for anything so I am totally at a loss. I can't use it
for quilting because, well, it stretches. You thought you had trouble
making your points match; well, this stuff would be the ultimate
challenge. It is off the bolt, so I assume it has been washed, but
maybe not. Perspiring minds want to know and any and all replies will
be given careful, if mirthful, consideration.

John

If Jill doesn't want it, I would welcome it gladly....I need to remake
some of my blouses (yes, store bought one, with a bit of stretch).
Just thought I'd throw that one out for you to consider as well

Larisa

Old August 28th 07, 04:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Christo.
http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/rf.shtml

You could do a short version of Running Fence or
Wrapped Walkway
http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/ww.shtml

Look at that first pic in Umbrellas:
http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/um.shtml
there's your stretch blue chambray right there!

Or a Gate, a simple Gate, in this blue instead of orange:
http://www.christojeanneclaude.net/tg.shtml

Set it in your backyard; charge a small admission fee
that signals "we got somethin' worth seein'!"
And you can never have too much $ for quilting stash.

R/Sandy-- watching Christo & JeanClaude (& John?)
" creating an invitational inner space"

On 8/28/07 2:55 AM, in article
, "John"

Old August 28th 07, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article . com,
John wrote:

[...]

ROFLOL! John, you're too funny -- and it's a good thing I wasn't
drinking my coffee when I read this, or I'd have been spewing it all
over my computer! G

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)
Old August 28th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

You have a rotary cutter...
you can cut that chambray into very thin strips, same width
as your yarn (and some yarn has little nubs & knots & flurbs in it,
more texture), and knit yourself a blue chambray something.

Gonna' have to be open-casket so we can see your
nattily-dressed self, John.

R/Sandy--still in Help Mode
p.s. I prefer that "eyelash" yarn, myself ...

On 8/28/07 8:10 AM, in article
, "John"

Old August 28th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Well, I have a large piece of denim looking polyester.
I toss that over the pool equipment before I toss a
tarp on when our weather gets really cold. Some day
we'll get around to a proper structure but it just hasn't
been a priority. Really that fabric was no good for
anything else.
I like jeans with a touch of stretch because they hold
the color longer than all cotton and for other obvious
pie loving reasons.
If you just don't want any stretch fibers the local high
school sewing classes might use it or Jill is a great
option also.
Taria

Old August 28th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Val

"Patti" wrote in message
Marvellous!

I just have to tell a story he
On the old TV programme 'The Good Life' (which some of you might have
seen)

I loved that show and remember the episode, it was a hoot! We used to get it
on our PBS channel in Seattle.

Val

Old August 28th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Aug 28, 3:55 am, John wrote:
Here is a question for all you knowledgeable folks. Somebody gave me
about 5+ yards of Stretch Blue Chambray. Aside from the obvious of
making a pair of hot pants for the entire Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader
squad, what in the world could I use this stuff for. I don't use
stretch stuff for anything so I am totally at a loss. I can't use it
for quilting because, well, it stretches. You thought you had trouble
making your points match; well, this stuff would be the ultimate
challenge. It is off the bolt, so I assume it has been washed, but
maybe not. Perspiring minds want to know and any and all replies will
be given careful, if mirthful, consideration.

John

Jill at Critter comforts has contacted me and I am going to ship the
stuff off to her. I contacted our local humane society and offered to
do what Jill does for the dogs and they said, "They didn't want to
bother with beds for the dogs as that would be too much trouble
cleaning the cages out". Really puts the humane in humane society. I
assume that is a local decision as the one we have is very
understaffed and underfunded. Oh well, Jill can do the good deed.

John