Fringing anne cloth

Old April 2nd 15, 09:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Pretorius

Default Fringing anne cloth

I am busy making a cross stitch anne cloth afghan baby blanket and would like to fringe it when finished. Can anyone tell me how to finish it off please?
Old April 2nd 15, 03:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Liz from Humbug[_2_]

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 1:58:52 AM UTC-7, Susan Pretorius wrote:
I am busy making a cross stitch anne cloth afghan baby blanket and would like to fringe it when finished. Can anyone tell me how to finish it off please?

Do a Nun Stitch hem around it and then fringe it when you're done.
Liz from Humbug
Old April 3rd 15, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 2 Apr 2015 01:58:49 -0700 (PDT), Susan Pretorius
wrote:

I am busy making a cross stitch anne cloth afghan baby blanket
and would like to fringe it when finished. Can anyone tell me
how to finish it off please?

Draw a thread to show where you want the edge of the blanket to be.
Work hemstitch all around the blanket.
Draw another thread to mark where the edge of the fringe will be.
Cut along this drawn thread.
Ravel back to the hemstitching.

There are many stitches suitable for restraining a fringe. As long as
the outermost thread is firmly anchored to the fabric, it will do.
Most people prefer a stitch that gathers the threads of the fringe
into little bunches, but if the fabric is very coarse, you may prefer
to work a separate stitch for every thread.

Do not under any circumstances ravel out the fringe first and attempt
to restrain it afterwards.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://joybeeson.home.comcast.net/
Old April 3rd 15, 08:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Annette from NZ

I use the he stitch method but be sure you do the pulled thread and cut for the fringe edge, that makes for the neatest finish.
Old April 4th 15, 01:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Pretorius

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 3:45:15 AM UTC+13, Liz from Humbug wrote:
On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 1:58:52 AM UTC-7, Susan Pretorius wrote:
I am busy making a cross stitch anne cloth afghan baby blanket and would like to fringe it when finished. Can anyone tell me how to finish it off please?

Do a Nun Stitch hem around it and then fringe it when you're done.
Liz from Humbug

Nun stitch - that's the one! Thank you so much. I have now googled it and know how to do it
Old April 4th 15, 01:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Pretorius

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 9:58:52 PM UTC+13, Susan Pretorius wrote:
I am busy making a cross stitch anne cloth afghan baby blanket and would like to fringe it when finished. Can anyone tell me how to finish it off please?

Thanks Joy and Annette!
Old April 4th 15, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Pretorius

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 9:58:52 PM UTC+13, Susan Pretorius wrote:
I am busy making a cross stitch anne cloth afghan baby blanket and would like to fringe it when finished. Can anyone tell me how to finish it off please?

To the person who posted the message below, I am sorry I haven't said thank you the moment members of this group came back with answers but this is actually the first time I checked whether someone replied. I am not 'using' the group, but asked because I thought I am allowed to. If you are the person who emailed me, sorry, I didn't open the email as I tend not to read emails from people I do not know. Sorry if I offended you

The message which I am replying to, from : 'I notice that these gmail questions never come back to thank anyone
for information, haven't checked the outfit that used to be Sew Girls
and morphed into another mirror group, but likely we are being used
again. '
Old April 5th 15, 07:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Susan Pretorius

On Sunday, April 5, 2015 at 12:22:53 AM UTC+13, wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2015 18:00:17 -0700 (PDT), Susan Pretorius
wrote:

[...]

We had a problem with a group calling themselves Sew Girls, taking all
our posts and putting them up on their site. They were of course
selling ad space and wanted to look really busy for their advertisers.

What distressed me was they never came to the group, we never had any
interaction with the poster who asked the question. One way and
another, I found out who their lawyer was and demanded they never pass
on my posts and to my surprise it worked although they still posted
everyone elses posts. Even ones from Karen that say in the sig line,
not for reposting! It said to me that what they were doing was indeed
marginal

I see Sew Girls have now gone out of business (good) but they probably
just morphed and every so often posts appear, some of us answer, and
that's it we never hear - as with you - that it helped solve the
problem etc.

When I could no longer find Sew Girls I emailed you to see if you were
a 'real' address and if so -which board. However it now becomes
clear, you really did find our group - so sorry about that - the
diatribe, not that you found us~ and welcome !

Sheena

Thanks Sheena! And I am happy I found the group as I now know what I wanted to know and can finish off the baby blanket the moment I finished the embroidery. I belong to a few other groups, but mostly to do with my job, this is my first craft group. Never thought to look here for help with sewing before
Old April 7th 15, 12:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

On 4/5/2015 1:20 AM, Susan Pretorius wrote:

When I could no longer find Sew Girls I emailed you to see if you were
a 'real' address and if so -which board. However it now becomes
clear, you really did find our group - so sorry about that - the
diatribe, not that you found us~ and welcome !

Sheena

Thanks Sheena! And I am happy I found the group as I now know what I wanted to know and can finish off the baby blanket the moment I finished the embroidery. I belong to a few other groups, but mostly to do with my job, this is my first craft group. Never thought to look here for help with sewing before

Definitely stick around, Susan! We need more posters! Keep us posted
on how your fringe came out.

thinking it's been a loooong time since we've had a round of "who are
we" and "what are we working on?" threads

--
Joan

See my pictures he http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

use up your cloth leftover pieces and make Cloth Bags [email protected] Needlework 21 January 5th 08 06:30 AM
Suggestions about fringing Phylis Maurer Needlework 2 June 23rd 05 04:29 AM
Hey Anne in CA Shona in NZ Quilting 5 August 24th 04 06:15 PM
May 6x6, thank you Anne Els van Dam Yarn 3 May 29th 04 08:43 PM
6x6 for May for Anne Els van Dam Yarn 5 May 11th 04 04:34 AM