Weatherproofing copper foil...?

Old June 6th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

Default Weatherproofing copper foil...?

Chemo the Clown wrote in
:

On Jun 3, 2:55*pm, "charlie"
wrote:
"Chemo the Clown" wrote in
messagenews:9a52d896-8546-435d

On Jun 3, 12:03 pm, Kris Krieger wrote:

Hi,

I want to make sme fixtures for outdoors. I'm doing copper foil.
Can the

patina and whatnot be weatherproofed in any way? I thought about
paste- waxing the lead lines, or lacquering the whoel assembly, but
any info would
be great.

Thanks!

- Kris

You could wax it every now and then with something like Clarity Glass
Wax but...it's my experience that overall, copperfoiled work doesn't
fair all that well when left to the exposed weather. The solder seams
tend to get rather ugly (oxidized) over time.

--
since there's no seal between the glass and the foil, it's not
possible to

weatherproof foiled work. that's why god invented lead came with
putty.

Not quite true...I've made water crystal catchers that hold water and
don't leak. Basically a diamond shaped box. Before putting the last
diamond on, fill with water then solder the last foiled diamond in
place and hang from one end.

ALso, this just occurred to me: there is a contractor-grade silicone
made for sealingpool lights and so on - if one is worried about water-
tightness, that should work - aquaria sealed with silicone last for may
years without leaking.

I'm wondering whetehr I could put a thin coat of silicone over the
lead...or maybe it could be painted with Rustoleum? If lead oxidizes, I
don't understand why lead came would look better than the solder covering
the copper foil?

OTOH maybe it's just "caveat emptor" and I coudl include a card with
"Care INstructions"...?

THanks,

- Kris

Old June 6th 08, 03:54 AM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

"michele" wrote in
:

so will a cemented piece. i have made lots of garden items (in a past
life) that have held up over time. even lead oxidzes, and worse the
cement falls apart. If properly designed, foiled pieces are extremely
tolerant to weather, use a good polish, maybe kem-o -pro and let
nature take her course. you will get oxidation on either lead or foil
in time .m

Maybe, then, I'll try a very thing bead of silicone...I'm not so much
worried about the look of th eoxidized lead, as about the possibility of
structural failure. OTOH, peopl emake scuptures with glass adhesives, so
maybe a thin like of that around the edges of the metal to help seal the
copper/glass interface?

since the solder isn't chemically attached to the glass, imho, you're
depending upon the adhesive of the foil instead of really weather- or
water-proofing the seam. eventually it will fail.

Old June 6th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

On Jun 5, 7:46*pm, Kris Krieger wrote:
Chemo the Clown wrote :

On Jun 3, 2:55*pm, "charlie"
wrote:
[...]

SOunds interesting - do you have any pics posted on-line? *I'd like to see
that.

- Kris- Hide quoted text -

I don't have any pics of the ones I've made but they are just like
these: http://www.tglass.net/Bevels.htm scroll down about half way.
Old June 6th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

Chemo the Clown wrote in
:

On Jun 5, 7:46*pm, Kris Krieger wrote:
Chemo the Clown wrote
innews:0da96b22-dee6-48e5-85a3-61ec

:

On Jun 3, 2:55*pm, "charlie"
wrote:
[...]

Interesting, I hadn't seen that before. I'm guessing that the water
eitehr spreads out the "rainbows", and/or makes teh "rainbows" more
intense...?

Old June 6th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Chemo the Clown

wrote:
[...]

intense...?- Hide quoted text -

Yeah sorta...depends on how the sun hits them...sometimes they cast
some nice rainbows across the room.
Old June 6th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
Kris Krieger

Chemo the Clown wrote in
:

On Jun 6, 9:40*am, Kris Krieger wrote:
Chemo the Clown wrote

[edited for brevity]

I don't have any pics of the ones I've made but they are just like
these:http://www.tglass.net/Bevels.htmscroll down about half way.

Interesting, I hadn't seen that before. *I'm guessing that the water
eitehr spreads out the "rainbows", and/or makes teh "rainbows" more
intense...?- Hide quoted text -

Yeah sorta...depends on how the sun hits them...sometimes they cast
some nice rainbows across the room.

I got another thought from your mention of the water-filled items, and
decided to cut my glass with the texture *inside* - i'm starting off with
clear glass (just because I got a proverbial bee in my bonnet about clear
textured glass ) and will assemble it and see how it looks. If it look
OK that way, my thinking (for better or worse L!) is that having the flat
side out might add to its longevity (because, fro your bevel work, the flat
side is also facing the "element" so to speak, i.e. the water).

Since the weak spot is the adhesive that sticks to the glass, I'm also
going to play with some silicone sealant on scraps to see whether it'd look
OK to run a thin bead along the lead:glass interface (I'm pretty good at
getting thin beads). The solar-cell has to be silicone-sealed anyway.

If the clear glass looks nice, I'll make a few more before moving on to
colored glass- especially since it'll take fewer LEDs to adequately light-
up the clear. Who knows, I might even try to put some bevelled sections
into the lights

So, I got a couple ideas from your input, *and* learned about something new
- thanks !

- Kris

copper foil racing John Glass 2 February 4th 06 06:32 AM
Copper foil. What the heck do you do with it? Mike Beede Glass 13 March 6th 05 02:51 PM
copper foil reguvenation? desiglass Glass 6 December 13th 04 05:36 PM
copper foil strength Ned Flanders Glass 3 December 12th 04 12:33 PM
Silvered copper foil Craig Glass 9 April 13th 04 01:40 AM