The Original Moebius

Old June 28th 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Default The Original Moebius

I found the prettiest yarn at the LYS last week, and when my sister
came over for dinner the other night she just loved it! It's called
SRK Collection- Overture, it's an Italian yarn containing mostly mohair
with some metallics in it (and of course the blue color is perfect for
sis). Well, I thought I would finally get around to making a moebius
using this yarn. I found a pattern on one of the yarn sites called the
original moebius, read through the instructions and thought * I can do
that*! Has anyone else used this pattern? You need to use circular
needles, cast on a bajillion stitches then on the first round as soon
as you join you have to pick up the cast on stitches through the
underneath loop and add them to the stitches already on the needles.
(Hope that makes sense) It makes the circs warp into a double
loop(circular) shape with a twist in them. And there's no edge! I'm
wondering if the knitting is working it's way from the center out???
Has anyone else done this pattern?
Can you imagine me working on this at the garage in the 113F heat
while the mechanic fixed my car??? OY.....
Marie and the cats (who stayed home in the air conditioning)

Old June 28th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

On 27 Jun 2006 20:48:49 -0700, spun a fine yarn

[...]

Marie,
Mirjam (who is back, I see) is our Moebious 'expert'.
Yes, I've done it too, many of us have.
Good luck with it, you'll enjoy it!
Noreen

http://www.lulu.com/content/292418
- - - - -
---
avast! AV: Outbound message clean.
Virus Database (VPS): 0626-1, 06/27/2006
Tested: 6/27/2006 11:05:33 PM
avast! - (c) 1988-2006

Old June 28th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Marie , Ria taught me to knit the moebious this way and YES you do
knit in a & form and yes it grows from middle out but in fact a
moebious has only 1 edge ,,,,, thus you can end it wherever you want .
first 2 rows go a bit slow than it runs ,, Great thing to take along
as you just Knit and knit and ,,,,,,
I have several
mirjam

Old June 28th 06, 07:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

In article .com,
" wrote:

[...]

Marie I have made a moebius, however not the pattern you speak of. Mine
comes out of Spin Off magazine from the Interweave press. You cast on the
stitches and you do not join these end to end, but purl in the last cast
on bottom part of the stitch, and turn around and do that with all the
stitches, when you come to the other side your turn around again. It
works somehow, because I now have a moebius. It was made from fleece that
Wooly (then still stlinky) send to me, she had dyed it in prickly pears, a
soft pink. I spun it, and with bits of left over yarn made the moebius.

Els

--
Ja for Jazz and cobra loose the rrrrrrrr
Old June 28th 06, 09:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Hi Marie, yes I've made several moebius scarves this way, and yes the first
few rows are the very dickens of a job to work, but once they're done it's
all knit, knit, knit until the scarf is as wide as you want it. And casting
off goes on for ever, doesn't want to be too tight and you end up with a
wonderful, useful and baffling (to others) object.
My one warning would be to say: make it wider than you think you need, when
it's off the needles it looks a lot narrower. This is the way i made
Katherine's "keep warm in winter" scarf. And a reversible pattern is
crucial, I usually use moss stitch
Have fun with it
Love & higs
Christine

oups.com...

Old June 28th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

wrote:
[...]

Yep, I've done a couple that way. I've since found an easier way to cast
on. It does go from the center out and can be really fast to knit.

sue
Old June 28th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Christine in Kent, Garden of England wrote:
Hi Marie, yes I've made several moebius scarves this way, and yes the first
few rows are the very dickens of a job to work, but once they're done it's
all knit, knit, knit until the scarf is as wide as you want it. And casting
off goes on for ever, doesn't want to be too tight and you end up with a
wonderful, useful and baffling (to others) object.

I used needles a couple sizes large to bind off. The edge *really* needs
to be loose.
My one warning would be to say: make it wider than you think you need, when
it's off the needles it looks a lot narrower. This is the way i made
Katherine's "keep warm in winter" scarf. And a reversible pattern is
crucial, I usually use moss stitch

I used a k6,p6 basket kind of pattern. Knit that for 6 rows, then
reverse for 6 rows. Or you can do it in garter stitch.

sue

Old June 29th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn

Thank you Everybody: I guess I was worried if I was doing it
right, it all looks so strange, I've never made anything like it. The
cast on went fine, the first row was a bit of a pain but after the
first few rows, things *loosened* up a bit and now I can fairly zip
along on it. Guess I just needed some reassurance, thank you everyone!
Marie and the cats This moebius might make a nice sling to carry cats
around in lol