glass buttons

Old April 10th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Cindy

Default glass buttons

Hi there--
I'm a glass maker [and a newly-minted knitter, hooray!]. I've started
to make glass buttons and am wondering if anyone has ideas about where
to market them, and more importantly, what're considered the marks of
a quality button--short shank, long shank, drilled holes, glued
shanks, glass shanks....I really have no idea. I've started working
with a spinner/dyer in my area to create matching buttons and yarn for
a local shop. I'd like to do this in the best possible way...I
treasure the idea that 30 years from now someone will be getting a
beautiful "hand-me-down" angora sweater with sparkling glass
buttons..... I'm not sure where to go to find info about this, so
I thought I'd ask for input from the "textile" groups!
Thanks!
Cindy

Old April 10th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Queen City x-stitcher

Cindy wrote:
Hi there--
I'm a glass maker [and a newly-minted knitter, hooray!]. I've started
to make glass buttons and am wondering if anyone has ideas about where
to market them, and more importantly, what're considered the marks of
a quality button--short shank, long shank, drilled holes, glued
shanks, glass shanks....I really have no idea. I've started working
with a spinner/dyer in my area to create matching buttons and yarn for
a local shop. I'd like to do this in the best possible way...I
treasure the idea that 30 years from now someone will be getting a
beautiful "hand-me-down" angora sweater with sparkling glass
buttons..... I'm not sure where to go to find info about this, so
I thought I'd ask for input from the "textile" groups!
Thanks!
Cindy

http://home.comcast.net/~buttonqueen...ome.html-.html

http://www.geocities.com/loribbq/index.html

Dear Cindy,

The above website will put you in touch with my mother, Lori Plichta.
She is a Button Collector and an authority on glass buttons. I have an
antique Victorian clear glass bracelet that I wear all the time. My Mom
will be giving the key note lecture at the New England Regional Button
Association in June. It is on buttons in the "Wild West". Many of the
buttons were glass. HTH, Bobbie Viorritto

to reply remove the knot with a net.
Old April 13th 07, 10:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
me

I can say that as an embroiderer i would love to see some glass buttons in
jewel colors(well any color really) with holes.....no shank.......lol...i
really hate shanks in general.....if i need one i can always make one even
if the button has holes....i saw some lovely square glass buttons in
JoAnne's of all places -- there were either 4 or six to a card and each card
was about 13 dollars ifrc...too expensive for me as i wanted a card of each
color!
Marketing them at the lys and possible the lqs and at any needlework shows,
or bead shows would be a sure bet to sell a ton of them..and you could also
blog them..and put them on flickr...there are quite a lot f needlework
communities and knitting/crochet groups on flickr...
me

oups.com...

glass buttons Cindy Beads 1 April 11th 07 01:20 AM
Buttons....even quilty buttons Sunny Quilting 4 November 5th 06 12:06 AM
Mary E buttons and Daisy Kingdom buttons for sale carol Marketplace 0 March 17th 06 09:29 AM
Mary E buttons and Daisy Kingdom buttons carol Quilting 0 March 17th 06 01:00 AM
art glass buttons Marie-Christine Marketplace 0 December 11th 03 02:00 AM